How Do I Orient This Muffler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a cheap universal muffler for my Cherokee. Since I'm always ripping it off or bashing it into rocks on trail rides (and sometimes it's never to be seen again ...) I am not going to buy a nice one.

It doesn't have a marked inlet or outlet.

How does this go? I want it as quiet as possible inside the cabin. The current straight pipe makes my ears ring at about 2000 RPM all the way up to 3000 RPM.

I'm not an exhaust engineer or anything, but I think option A would be quieter in the cabin, louder outside and B would be quieter outside and louder inside.

Attempted to google it but I couldn't find a good answer either way.

[Linked Image]

Option A because the points of the baffles are toward the air coming in. Also check for the drain hole and tip it slightly toward the drain hole when you mount it, this will encourage longer life.

There is no drain hole, but I do plan on adding a small one once added.

It's a cheap muffler. With worse welds than I make.

It's on my trail Jeep. 33'' tires, so there isn't much power. And it currently gets 4MPG (hand calculated and with counting in the difference in tire size). I don't think it's going to drop me to 3mpg haha.

I'll probably go with option A. If it's too loud, I'll turn it around.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
If its too loud, throw a resonator behind it...

^^^ This... Turning the muffler around can cause it to rot out faster because the moisture in the exhaust will collect in the valleys of the baffles with the flow in "B" setup.

Last edited:
If it doesn't have it marked inlet or outlet, then its is a reversible muffler that can go either way
smile.gif

And how exactly would you even know whether you elected option A or B? There are no markings anywhere on the muffler, right? The sound will most likely be the same regardless of which direction you mount it.

Originally Posted by Miller88
It's on my trail Jeep. 33'' tires, so there isn't much power. And it currently gets 4MPG (hand calculated and with counting in the difference in tire size). I don't think it's going to drop me to 3mpg haha.

4 mpg!?!
shocked2.gif
Never mind which way to install this muffler -- consider installing a muffler on the fuel line -- to cut down on the deafening sound of vast quantities of fuel surging through it at Warp-10!!!
laugh.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Reminds me of the old TV commercial featuring a just-filled Ferrari at a gas station. Driver starts it up and revvs it a couple times. Each time he revvs it, the fuel gauge drops a quarter tank! I loved that one.

Every muffler has an arrow stamped on it somewhere. Unless it is from china.

Well this muffler was a bust. It literally does not muffle either way I put it in.

Originally Posted by ekpolk

4 mpg!?!
shocked2.gif
Never mind which way to install this muffler -- consider installing a muffler on the fuel line -- to cut down on the deafening sound of vast quantities of fuel surging through it at Warp-10!!!
laugh.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Reminds me of the old TV commercial featuring a just-filled Ferrari at a gas station. Driver starts it up and revvs it a couple times. Each time he revvs it, the fuel gauge drops a quarter tank! I loved that one.

I need to figure out what's going on with it. 10-11 would be reasonable for the size tires I'm running. It's so bad that the engine actually makes oil.

I need to figure out what's going on with it. 10-11 would be reasonable for the size tires I'm running. It's so bad that the engine actually makes oil.

Yeah 4 mpg you have some serious issues.

My buddy's Jeep gets 12 mpg on 35s.

The drop in gas mileage started when I fixed the very massive vacuum leak.

I'll figure it out eventually. I haven't been driving it too much lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back