So much for rodent proof garage door bottom seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed on Sunday. Chewed up by Wednesday. I am thinking it's larger than a mouse.

The rodent proof piece is the stuff that looks like steel wool.

IMG_20190314_082848.jpg

Originally Posted by Donald
"you need a bigger boat"

LOL It sure looks that way. "Rodent Resistant" might be a more accurate term for the weather stripping seal you bought.

had rats at my lake house chew thru stainless steel mesh embedded in Durhams rock hard putty. Tom Cat rodent bait. Lots of it.

Rod

How about a motion activated camera to see exactly what the animal is.
Once you know what it is, then you can plan/kill accordingly.

With the warmer weather coming, it may stay outside if other food is readily available.

How many traps are set ? I always increase my odds by using several.

I had mice who would eat all the peanut butter without triggering the trap.
I believe the peanut butter would freeze and could be easily removed in one piece.

With any traps, refresh the peanut butter every couple days.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

With the warmer weather coming, it may stay outside if other food is readily available.

I believe the peanut butter would freeze and could be easily removed in one piece.

Interesting observation regarding peanut butter. Mice picked my snap traps clean more than once this winter. It took my homemade bucket trap to get them.

I have more traps than in picture. The rodent may be lowering himself down on a cable like the movies show jewel thieves trying to steal the Hope diamond at a museum.

The other side of the garage door is just plain rubber seal and its chewed so a rodent could be coming and going. But from just this side, it sure looks like a rodent was trying to get out. The rubber outside is fine.

So if something is living in my garage, what about 2-3 flea spray foggers?

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
had rats at my lake house chew thru stainless steel mesh embedded in Durhams rock hard putty. Tom Cat rodent bait. Lots of it.

Rod

Rats can chew through concrete.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Interesting observation regarding peanut butter. Mice picked my snap traps clean more than once this winter. It took my homemade bucket trap to get them.

You sure it was mice? The ants here will pick a trap clean and not set it off.

Something in garage is chewing hoses for windshield washer in wife's Crosstrek. Its been to the dealer twice to have that fixed as I am too busy to get into it.

I am thinking better to park outside. The rodents are inside not outside.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by demarpaint

You sure it was mice? The ants here will pick a trap clean and not set it off.

In my case mice for sure I bagged two of them with the bucket trap, and haven't see one ant in the garage all winter long.

Maybe bait your traps with weatherstripping?

Seriously though, I was trying to catch a rat in my backyard with a trap like that, a tan one from a different brand. The trap would be sprung and the bait gone in the morning, but no rat. I'm going to try the old-school wooden ones next.

Edit: Is that rat poison in the orange tray?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
Maybe bait your traps with weatherstripping?

Seriously though, I was trying to catch a rat in my backyard with a trap like that, a tan one from a different brand. The trap would be sprung and the bait gone in the morning, but no rat. I'm going to try the old-school wooden ones next.

I have not had a trap sprung since I caught a shrew a couple of months ago.

I've had great luck with my "Rat Zapper" over the years. I had rodents in my garage even though I thought I had it well sealed. I had success with old fashioned wood mouse traps, but, my wife hated seeing the sometimes gory results. Some peanut butter on a plastic water bottle cap. Slide it to the back, then just dump the thing out when the light blinks. I've eliminated about 30 mice and 4 red squirrels over the last 5 years. I use rechargeable batteries and the unit is always turned on in the garage. A couple of times a mouse got in the house. Just moved the unit inside and in one night they were toast. It's pricey, but, I think it was worth the money. Also note that it does occasionally need cleaning or the metal plates on the bottom will short out. Also, I can't vouch for actually killing rats. Have never seen one in or around my garage/house.

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-RZC00...;qid=1552592412&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back