1.5T Civic 6MT mpg with 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday i made a one day trip in texas with total of 800 miles, fuel mileage on the trip back came as 43.5mpg (manually calcualted). 70mph average speed. I really am amazed on how the car efficient, even with non-oem 5w30.

Just figured i'd share with community in case anyone is in the market for this car and wonders what's the real world mpg.

Cheers

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Does your owner's manual allow for 5W30?

Why would it matter?

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Does your owner's manual allow for 5W30?

Why would it matter?

It doesn't matter! I'm just curious on how well vehicles requiring ONLY 0W20 do with other grades of oil(5W20/5W30).

I'd say my car does just as well if no better. Best mpg I was getting with 0w20 on a long trip (250mi) was around 42. Also, there variables such wind direction, number of passengers etc come into play. With that said,43.5mpg with 2 passengers is doable with no issues at all. Also, I'm running premium now and previous highest mpg was with regular.

Originally Posted by parshisa
I'd say my car does just as well if no better. Best mpg I was getting with 0w20 on a long trip (250mi) was around 42. Also, there variables such wind direction, number of passengers etc come into play. With that said,43.5mpg with 2 passengers is doable with no issues at all. Also, I'm running premium now and previous highest mpg was with regular.

Wondering do you see any increase in mpg of regular vs premium?

On my 8th Gen, I have received above 40(42-43) on longer trips.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I use 10W30 in my 0W20 spec Accord and will never look back.

I use 5w30 in my 0w20 spec'd Accord too. I'm not that concerned about the marginal decrease in mileage but I AM concerned that Honda is more worried about CAFE than longevity. These 1.5's are known to be a fuel diluter-r and add in GDI plus a turbo and I just feel better with a 30 weight.

I ran 5W-20 in my 2008 CR-V for a year, kept track of all the fuel purchases for a year. Ran the next year using 5W-30, kept the data on that. Result? Too much variation to make any determination that it had any noticeable effect. For the record, the average MPG for the year was slightly higher with 5W-30, and on one particular road trip I managed 32 MPG for the whole trip on one tank in a vehicle rated at 27 MPG. Guess which oil was in it.

My Focus 1.0T is spec'd for 0w-20 and 5w-20. I used 5w-30 once and still got 51.5 MPG on one trip, so it didn't seem to hurt economy much in that engine either.

I'd say on average mpg hasn't really change neither car performance has. Although, premium has decreased fuel dilution compared to when I was running regular. Given an exceptional overall gas mileage I have no problem paying 4$ per 400 miles driven.

my son has the same car. We have a synthetic 20W in it. In mixed driving, more city than highway usually, he's seeing 34-37. He's not an aggressive driver, but he's not relaxed either. He's not afraid to "drive it like a stick," delaying shifts based on what's coming next, and he pushes it a little bit on the open road. I think the blend of economy and power in this vehicle are outstanding.

Wife's CRV gets around 26 mpg in town, and she accelerates moderately to swiftly. in eco mode she averaged 27. The CRV is not a small vehicle anymore - it's economy is excellent for what it is as well.

Originally Posted by ediamiam
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Great mileage.

Who needs a hybrid Civic ?

Hybrid Civic will probably deliver over 50 mpg in city driving.

How long to break even with added cost of hybrid ?

A basic low tech engine will always be the better choice in the long run.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Great mileage.

Who needs a hybrid Civic ?

A tantalizing question, and one which necessarily calls into question distinctions between the meaning of need vs want, preference vs requirement and on, and on.

Undeniably great mileage reported here. While the Civic hybrid is no more (though the brand new Honda Insight looks a lot like a "Civic Hybrid" with another name...), Toyota has just released its first ever Corolla Hybrid. Click here to see Corolla Hybrid on Toyota's site. . Of course, individual outcomes will vary, but the differences in EPA estimates are significant. It's 53/52/52 for the hybrid version and 29/37/32 for the gasser with CVT/auto (the stick does slightly worse, gearing, I'm sure).

It's an open, and very individual, question whether the added mileage is worth the extra cost (about $3k, Hybrid LE vs regular LE). It's also noteworthy that the Corolla Hyb has essentially the same drivetrain as the Prius (not Prius-c or Plug-in Prime). My 18 Prius is the first car I've had that is actually topping 50 mpg, as confirmed by arithmetic at the pump. I assume similar results will be achievable in the new Corolla. Conclusions? Yours to draw.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back