5 Gallon Acetone Container

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

If you take a 5 gallon acetone container to your service station (in your state) and attempt to fill it up with gasoline, what are your chances of filling it up without getting stopped? How much trouble would you be in?

Why do I ask? Because I figure if it's rated to hold acetone (which is one of the most treacherous and flammable liquids on earth) why can't it hold gasoline?

Just go to a really cruddy gas station where the clerk probably doesn't know any better.

But it seems so much easier to buy a proper Eagle 5 gallon gas can?

Originally Posted by das_peikko
what are your chances of filling it up without getting stopped? How much trouble would you be in?

I've put gasoline in the weirdest containers imaginable - - no one has ever cared. Ever.

At a self service station in my area no one would know, and if they did they wouldn't care.

Funny (as in mismatch), the Top Tier station near me is NOTHING but gas and 2 service bays.
I swear, it looks like they'd have to rummage around to find a quart of any oil (or anything else) to sell.

Years ago I took my uncle's square, olive drab, 8 gallon can to a station for kero.
The old geezer told me I'd be court marshaled for putting kero in THAT can as it was a USN WATER can.

Good thing I was 14 and not in the service at that time.

I was once challenged for putting diesel fuel in a red can. The attendant okayed it because i put a label on the can.

I've put gas in nearly every imaginable container known to man.

Never once, have I ever been questioned.

I recently bought a "solvent and lubricant" can from Runnings. It looks like a gas can, is the same material as a gas can but is not a gas can because it doesn't have the proper venting for it. Works great! Never been questioned for it and it doesn't spill.

Gasoline is sold in those same cans. Mark it as gas and it shouldn't be a problem. Of course it could be highly illegal to refill will all the stupid laws we have. I refill post ban NATO cans all the time so I'm a rebel like that.

I've bought gas in non-approved containers for years. The odd clerk says something, most of the time they could care less.

As a teenager, I worked in a Chevron station in Vancouver. I remember an old lady - regular customer - come in and ask that I put some gas in her glass pickle jar. She said it was for cleaning in her house, she loved the smell of the gasoline, and it did an excellent job of cleaning.

Her face when I told her I would not make her a bomb. Classic look of indignation!

Being as you are in Texas where it does get warm, where do you plan to store this unvented can full of gasoline?

Like others have said paint it Red and avoid the questions that might arise. I painted a blue can red that was used at my company for acetone as well. To dispose of it was going to cost them $100. Told them I could use it and would take it for free. I was a blue eagle can not 5 gallons but probably 3 and would cost over $50. The trace acetone went right into the mower no issues.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Being as you are in Texas where it does get warm, where do you plan to store this unvented can full of gasoline?

Where do they store the same cans sold with all sorts of flammable liquids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back