17" Vs. 18"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Looking at the new M-B 220A 4Matic , was wondering what the difference in performance and ride quality is with 17" Vs. 18"?

Opinions?

17s: Usually Cheaper, Nicer ride quality do to more sidewall.
18s: Sportier, Less tire more rim, which to some looks nicer.

Originally Posted by Noey
Hi guys,

Looking at the new M-B 220A 4Matic , was wondering what the difference in performance and ride quality is with 17" Vs. 18"?

Opinions?

Get 17". No question.

Smoother ride, less noise, less rotational inertia (better braking, acceleration, mpg, handling, traction on rough surfaces). Wheels are less likely to bend and cheaper to replace if they do.

Assuming comparable tires, the only performance-related difference you might notice -- maybe -- is in feel and response rather than outright performance. But given that you're not talking about a sports car here, I'd bet good money you're not going to notice or care.

...And heck, even if you were talking about a sports car, it'd still be better to go with the smaller wheel and get the feel you want through tire choice.

On almost all road cars, the only reason for bigger wheels is that people think they look better. The cost-benefit ratio is spectacularly stupid.

So yeah, get the smallest wheel size you can. It's just better.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
On almost all road cars, the only reason for bigger wheels is that people think they look better. The cost-benefit ratio is spectacularly stupid.
I thought it was the high belt lines caused by crash regulations that was the main motivation. Modern cars would look goofy on small wheels, especially tall and short CUVs.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I thought it was the high belt lines caused by crash regulations that was the main motivation. Modern cars would look goofy on small wheels, especially tall and short CUVs.

We're pretty much saying the same thing. It's about how cars look, not about how they work.

17/18 don't think you'll notice any difference, but go up to a 20 and you will.

I like some rubber between me and the road. While it's expensive to replace a tire ruined by a pot hole, it's even more expensive to replace an alloy wheel. These rubber band tires (common on big wheels) afford little protection from deteriorating roads. My choice would be a 17 over an 18 in the OP's situation.

Also depends on the tire 35/40/45/50 series.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83

There's a significant difference between 17" and 18" on the BMW 3-Series. It's not night-and-day, but it's there for sure. Don't even want to imagine what 20" would be like...

Originally Posted by Malo83

There's a significant difference between 17" and 18" on the BMW 3-Series. It's not night-and-day, but it's there for sure. Don't even want to imagine what 20" would be like...

My mind balks at trying to imagine 20" wheels on the cart tracks here that the city calls streets.

I've noticed a difference between 17" and 18" already. My 2011 Buick Regal had 18" wheels and the corresponding lower-profile tires. The new-to-me BMW 328i has 17". Though the BMW's tires are Continental run-flats, the car rides more smoothly and quietly on the rough pavement here than the Buick did.

When the time comes, I'll ditch the run-flats and go with 17" all-season touring tires, and I expect I'll find them even better.

Hi guys,

Opinions?

Depends on the aspect ratio of the tires. If they're identical the 18"s will be a tad firmer but have much better response due to reduced sidewall

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
I've noticed a difference between 17" and 18" already. My 2011 Buick Regal had 18" wheels and the corresponding lower-profile tires.
Whatever difference you're noticing is not due to profile as the Regal actually has taller sidewalls than your 328i. A lot of it has to do with particular tire model, air pressure, and suspension tuning.

Regal: 235/50/18: sidewall height: 117.5 mm
328i: 225/50/17: sidewall height: 112.5 mm

My mind balks at trying to imagine 20" wheels on the cart tracks here that the city calls streets.
It depends on what size tires are wrapped around such rims. The 20s on my SRT come with 275/40 tires which have about the same sidewall height as your 225/50 tires on the 328i.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I've noticed a difference between 17" and 18" already. My 2011 Buick Regal had 18" wheels and the corresponding lower-profile tires.
Whatever difference you're noticing is not due to profile as the Regal actually has taller sidewalls than your 328i. A lot of it has to do with particular tire model, air pressure, and suspension tuning.

Hm; hadn't realized that. I expected the BMW run-flats to be harsher in general, and they're really not. As for tire pressure, I ran the Regal's tires at 34 (door sticker said 33), and the BMW has the same (door sticker 32). The BMW's tires are narrower, though, right? That could contribute to a smoother ride.

Hm; hadn't realized that. I expected the BMW run-flats to be harsher in general, and they're really not. As for tire pressure, I ran the Regal's tires at 34 (door sticker said 33), and the BMW has the same (door sticker 32). The BMW's tires are narrower, though, right? That could contribute to a smoother ride.

It helps that they're narrower, yeah. There might be an unsprung weight advantage, too.

But I bet the main reasons for the difference are in the chassis: unibody stiffness, bushings, suspension geometry, etc.

I expected the BMW run-flats to be harsher in general, and they're really not.

Maybe a silly question, but are you 100% sure the tires you have on there are actually run-flats?

I expected the BMW run-flats to be harsher in general, and they're really not.

Maybe a silly question, but are you 100% sure the tires you have on there are actually run-flats?

The build sheet for the car from BMW said it came with them. They're Continentals, and "SSR" is on the sidewall: https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colintirerackcom/how-to-determine-if-your-tires-are-run-flats The blog also mentions an ISO symbol that looks like a depressed snail, but I might have missed that.

.....what the difference in performance and ride quality is with 17" Vs. 18"?
My 2008 Hyundai Accent & 2013 Elantra now have bigger wheels/tires & I love them. The Accent tires (from 14inch to 15inch wheels) are 2 inches taller than standard. The Elantra tires (from 15 inch to 17 inch & 18 inch wheels) are as much as 2.7 inches taller than standard & I love them on both wheel sizes. The 17's can have aspect ratios up to 55. I've had AR's of 45 on the 18's, but they should handle 50's. My recommendation is to get several sizes & types of wheels, so you can have fun, changing your wheel style, say when you change tires. If you like distance traveling a lot, keep your aspect ratio between 45 & 65 (& drive careful on the 45's). 40 aspect ratio & lower are only for local travel, only on smooth roads & watch like a hawk for potholes. My recommendations of different wheel sizes is because I buy used wheels/tires & can easily afford the various sizes.

Last edited:
You will generally get more tire choices in 17", and save a bit of money. You'll also get more room in the wheel wells , important if you live in a snowy area and get some build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back