What are the most overrated, overpriced tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Continental tires are over priced. I had one set of 4 for 36k miles and they sucked and looked beat up. However, I got some Michelin Defenders on my car now, with 32k miles and still look brand new.

Last OEM Michelins I used were on an '02 Elantra. Can't remember what model but cheaper stablemates from BFG and Uniroyal were actually better tires. Imagine Hyundai paid very little, and Michelin was hoping that one of the tires would get torn up and I'd pay through the nose for a replacement tire. Think they lasted about 40K miles.

Last edited:
Vogue and similarly Coker don't have great specs compared to many tires that cost a lot less, but if that's the look you're going that's the only way to get it.

I would not call them overrated.

Originally Posted by NO2
Any tire that is OEM spec.

+1

These are usual suspects for "overpriced". It looks like car manufacturers are getting killer deals on them while money is made on replacement market on consumers who want the same tire.

KrzyÅ›

Right now I'm going to say the current set of Toyo Open Country AT/2 tires on my truck. 38k miles into them and they are pathetically worn. Some of that is due to alignment, but not all. Extremely disappointed.

Before that, the all-time favorite tire to hate was the General Grabbers that GM was putting on 2000-2004? full-size GM trucks. Everybody hated them.

Another is the horrible Bridgestone tires that came on the 2007 CR-V. Didn't make it 38k miles.

The all-time favorite tire is the Michelin LTX M/S. I've had almost 10 sets of those in various sizes on various vehicles and they all have hit 80K or similar. I just can't see them looking decent on my Tundra.

The Continental tires that came on my 2005 F-150 were horrible.

Hankooks and Bridgestones in my opinion. And almost any OE tire, regardless of brand. Goodyear doesn't seem to make anything stellar, though the early reviews of the Weatherready are positive.

I also think General's current lineup is better than Continental's, despite their lower price. Continentals seem to have a handful of minor qualities that are better (ride quality, noise suppression, tactile feel), but don't last as long and have poorer traction. 7 years ago, General didn't have anything particularly good. So, I suppose, Continental can be considered over-rated, though they aren't really bad.

I find that most of time generalizations of an entire brand based on the experience of one tire in one particular use category to be less than useful. Most tire brands have some good tires and some not so good tires, and as others have pointed out, sometimes chasing an OEM spec.

Examples I can think of include Goodyear - I've had some really bad tires from them in the light truck arena, namely the Goodyear RT-S, which did nothing particularly well (other than look pretty). On the other hand, the OEM tires on my 2016 F150 - Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (that's a mouthful) have been wearing great, and do everything I've asked of them - to the point I will likely replace with the same tire when the time comes.

I hear bad things about Hankook tires, particularly OEM fittings on cars. Yet I've gotten excellent service out of other tires from them,

The list goes on, and on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back