2016 Taurus SHO w/ 3.5L Ecoboost QS FS 5w-30 4,565 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZiTS: one thing I've had pointed out to me is that Blackstone does a poor job re fuel dilution. Oil Analysers (who I think is now associated with Amsoil) supposedly does a better job with that particular test. Your 1.4% might actually be much higher. It is a frequent finding with certain Ecoboosts (like mine) to have considerable fuel in their UOA. That might explain the low viscosity in your UOA (again, like mine).

I've not been driving my EB lately, and haven't taken the steps I need to take to address it's issues, but fuel is one concern. Some say, "don't worry," but having a lower (or negligible) fuel reading would help me to "not worry."

I appreciate all of the feedback. Reading these different comments has been very interesting. Many stated that the numbers are nothing I should be worrying about. And I'm not "worrying". However, the FACTS are:

This was a 4,500 mile oil sample from a VERY well maintained car.
Fully synthetic motor oil of the latest/greatest specifications was used.
A fully synthetic 20,000 mile oil filter had been in place.
Oil Life Monitor read that the oil still had over 50% of its' life left.

With that -

Iron number more than doubled from the previous sample, with only 1,500 more miles on the oil.
Iron number was higher than the universal average, as reported by Blackstone.

So, I'm not losing any sleep over any of this, but I don't feel it should be disregarded, either. I'm going to take the current oil out to somewhere between 4,000 - 4,500 miles and sample again. At this point in time, I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO belief that extended oil change intervals and/or Oil LIfe Monitor systems should be blindly followed. Sure, a lot of people do just simply have their oil changed at a dealership based on nothing more than when cars' OLM tells them. But nobody is going to convince me after reports like this one that extended OCI's and OLM systems are the way to go. Call me crazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back