Got the Corvette out on track at COTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I recently moved down to Texas, I now have easy access (~3 hour drive) to Circuit of the Americas! They do rent the track out to various clubs though it's quite a bit more expensive than others. A typical track day there is $495 per day with some minor discounting available for early registration or multi-day events. I typically paid $300ish back in the Midwest, even for stuff like Road America.

After visiting and running on track, I can see why there's such an uplift in the price: the track is immaculately maintained and the facility itself is beautiful. Amenities are definitely "premium" over any other track I've visited. I wouldn't say the track layout itself commands a higher price, but I did enjoy the elevation change and how technical it is through some sections. There was a feeling that I can't explain when I pulled onto pit lane and then out onto the track, knowing that Formula 1 greats have had this very same view. Just walking by the garages and seeing the thick black tire marks on the pavement from those race cars was amazing.

The videos below are from the final session of the day. I was feeling very comfortable by then but this was still my first time at COTA so I was being a bit conservative. I know there's still a lot more time to be shaved off, as other people in my exact car (also stock) are about a second quicker. Still, for my first outing on a track like this, I was very pleased with how I progressed throughout the day. As you can see in the video, my run group had some pretty serious cars in it including several actual race cars that were practicing for the Blancpain GT Challenge that was happening there the following weekend. It was pretty insane to see one of those cars come roaring up behind you and then absolutely disappear into the distance.

Both videos are from the same run. The first is just an old GoPro mounted to my harness bar with a lapel mic taped to the rear bumper and the second is the car's built-in Performance Data Recorder (PDR). I would suggest jumping ahead to about the halfway mark as that's when I got clear of traffic and started turning some really fast laps.

IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1518.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like fun...that's a very interesting course!

I think I have the same issue with this kind of video that I did with the GoPro videos I used to take while skiing...I could be going down gnarly terrain out West at speed and it looked like I was on a green cruiser going about 5 mph in the video.
I watched part of the second video and would be thinking, "He's going 150mph there??? Really?"
A third person perspective conveys speed, how sharp the turns are, and the slope (for skiing) better...but these are still fun to watch.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I think I have the same issue with this kind of video that I did with the GoPro videos I used to take while skiing...I could be going down gnarly terrain out West at speed and it looked like I was on a green cruiser going about 5 mph in the video.
I watched part of the second video and would be thinking, "He's going 150mph there??? Really?"
A third person perspective conveys speed, how sharp the turns are, and the slope (for skiing) better...but these are still fun to watch.

I recorded the above with the medium point-of-view setting in the GoPro. I've done the wide-angle ones before (browse my other YouTube videos to see) and the sense of speed is much greater since you can see out the side windows. I agree that the PDR doesn't convey the speed well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dparm
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I recorded the above with the medium point-of-view setting in the GoPro. I've done the wide-angle ones before (browse my other YouTube videos to see) and the sense of speed is much greater since you can see out the side windows. I agree that the PDR doesn't convey the speed well.

Ah, that makes sense...I will check out your other videos later.
Great car, BTW!

EVIL machine!!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

LOVE those (CCW
21.gif
at least that's what they look like they are) wheels.
(Or are those the Grand Sport factory 'track pack type' wheels which are doppelgangers for CCWs??)

The first time you revved it to redline after the warmup lap sent a chill down my spine! The sound is fantastic.
Sounds like you have about an extra 1000 rpm over my old Corvette.
What rpm are you shifting?
I ran COTA with MVP back in 2015, but it rained every day.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dailydriver
EVIL machine!!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

LOVE those (CCW
21.gif
at least that's what they look like they are) wheels.
(Or are those the Grand Sport factory 'track pack type' wheels which are doppelgangers for CCWs??)

They're Forgeline GS1R wheels in satin graphite finish with motorsport center caps. Sizes are 18x11 up front and 18x12.5 in the back on 315/30R18 and 335/30R18 BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S tires. Ordered them last summer after I got sick of bending/cracking the factory ones, and the lousy choice in tires for the OEM wheels. Cost a pretty penny but shaved a ton of weight off and now I don't have any more anxiety about a wheel giving out! Plus, the tires for these are about $500-600 cheaper than the OEM ones and I can run Hoosiers, R888Rs, slicks/take-offs, etc.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
The first time you revved it to redline after the warmup lap sent a chill down my spine! The sound is fantastic.
Sounds like you have about an extra 1000 rpm over my old Corvette.
What rpm are you shifting?
I ran COTA with MVP back in 2015, but it rained every day.
frown.gif

I'm shifting at redline, which is like 6600rpm or whatever. All I know is I wait for the LEDs on the HUD to flash and then I grab the next gear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dparm
They're Forgeline GS1R wheels in satin graphite finish with motorsport center caps. Sizes are 18x11 up front and 18x12.5 in the back on 315/30R18 and 335/30R18 BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S tires. Ordered them last summer after I got sick of bending/cracking the factory ones, and the lousy choice in tires for the OEM wheels. Cost a pretty penny but shaved a ton of weight off and now I don't have any more anxiety about a wheel giving out! Plus, the tires for these are about $500-600 cheaper than the OEM ones and I can run Hoosiers, R888Rs, slicks/take-offs, etc.

Even better yet than the CCWs!
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

The Rival Ses will definitely last longer than the R7s, R1s, and the like, and yeah, cost less than them initially as well.
smile.gif

What are you using for track day pads?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dailydriver

Even better yet than the CCWs!
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

The Rival Ses will definitely last longer than the R7s, R1s, and the like, and yeah, cost less than them initially as well.
smile.gif

What are you using for track day pads?

I didn't pay MSRP for the Forgelines, fortunately. Hawk DTC-60 pads all around. Might move up to the 70s on the front axle now that I have more rubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back