BJs Wholesale Club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to live near a BJs for about 25 years and bought numerous sets of tires from them. As I recall, the carried Michelin, Goodrich and Uniroyals. I bought the MIchelins for my car and Goodrich tires for my trucks. I was always pleased with the care they took in installing, mounting and balancing. And they gave free tire rotations as well.

I just purchased Michelin "LT X" tires for the old Dakota last month from them. With the two coupons, I got an excellent deal. Real Michelin pickup tires for $535 including tax, 2 years road hazard, mount, balance and everything. Their Michelin club model "LT X" tire is the same as the Defender LTX M/S. The tread pattern and depth is exactly the same.

They came out well balanced, but the shop did not do alignments, so I had to take it elsewhere. I chose my local tire shop, to give them a piece of the action.

I've bought 2 sets. Both times I had to have them rebalanced at another shop.

Buy then at BJ's if they are a good deal, take them somewhere else to be mounted and balanced...

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I've bought 2 sets. Both times I had to have them rebalanced at another shop.

Buy then at BJ's if they are a good deal, take them somewhere else to be mounted and balanced...

Must just be your shop. I've gotten tires balanced there before and they did a better job than the tire shop.

Also Costco tends to be cheaper for tires. At least for the size for that I typically buy. Shop around. Normally Costco tends to run a promo where they offer $70 off Michelin's and do a 1 cent installation so you save another $60 or so over their regular $15 install/mounting/road hazard charge.

I have experienced poor Costco tire installation and likely won't go back. I carried tires in and one went flat next day. They charged me to reinstall it. Then a tire weight fell off 2 days later so I took it to the Store Manager. He agreed they would fix it and refund the bad tire install. He told me it happens all the time.

I have heard some others I work with say that they won't go back to Sam's either.

I know nothing of BJ's but probably about the same I suspect.

(edit - mod)

There's no BJ's clubs anywhere around here, all we get is Costco and Sham's Club. I just buy all my tires from the Tire Rack, and have them installed there. It's $15/tire for mounting and balancing, but the old tires are disposed of for free, and it's never taken me more than an hour total to get in and out. It's a little far to drive from PA, though
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't found their prices anything close to what I can get elsewhere... and yeah, I know it includes mounting and balancing.

Might just be my size, or that you have to look harder or wait for sales.

They are great for propane refills though!

Last time I shopped for summer performance tires for my Camaro, BJ's was the best price by far on BFG Sport Comp 2's...including on line tire discount dealers, Tire Rack and others. They also had a $70 mfg discount. Since they didn't do alignments, I used the quote from BJ's to get a price match/price beat from Town Fair Tire....who could align them as well as purchase/mounting/balance. Good deal overall.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Last time I shopped for summer performance tires for my Camaro, BJ's was the best price by far on BFG Sport Comp 2's...including on line tire discount dealers, Tire Rack and others. They also had a $70 mfg discount. Since they didn't do alignments, I used the quote from BJ's to get a price match/price beat from Town Fair Tire....who could align them as well as purchase/mounting/balance. Good deal overall.

I used to go to Town Fair, but they actually don't include lifetime balancing. Plus the last time I got tires there, there's certain tires that aren't covered by the road hazard warranty. Which happened to be the Michelin tires I bought. Costco does the lifetime balance, rotation, flat fix and road hazard for their flat rate install price of $15.

And yes, when Costco has a sale on tires, no one else can beat them, that's the $70 off Michelin plus the 1 cent installation. I think it worked out to be about $50 cheaper than everyone else. So if there wasn't a sale, it would have been more than others. They have that Michelin sale pretty often, seems like every other sale is their Michelin sale so just wait a month. They also seemed to know in advance when it was going to happen because when I called them once, they told me to wait a week for the sale to kick in.

I just get the 3 year alignment warranty at Goodyear for $159 so the "free" alignment from Town fair isn't worth much especially when they charge $50 for a 4 wheel alignment and only the front is "free".

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I used to go to Town Fair, but they actually don't include lifetime balancing. Plus the last time I got tires there, there's certain tires that aren't covered by the road hazard warranty. Which happened to be the Michelin tires I bought. Costco does the lifetime balance, rotation, flat fix and road hazard for their flat rate install price of $15.

And yes, when Costco has a sale on tires, no one else can beat them, that's the $70 off Michelin plus the 1 cent installation. I think it worked out to be about $50 cheaper than everyone else. So if there wasn't a sale, it would have been more than others. They have that Michelin sale pretty often, seems like every other sale is their Michelin sale so just wait a month. They also seemed to know in advance when it was going to happen because when I called them once, they told me to wait a week for the sale to kick in.

I just get the 3 year alignment warranty at Goodyear for $159 so the "free" alignment from Town fair isn't worth much especially when they charge $50 for a 4 wheel alignment and only the front is "free".

Yes but I've never seen a Costco that does Alignments.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Yes but I've never seen a Costco that does Alignments.

Right, neither BJ's nor Costco do alignments. They just sell tires. Goodyear, Firestone, NTB, etc will all do alignments, they all have various terms, from 3-5 years to lifetime depending on the chain and what you buy. I don't demand that the tire store also do alignments. The free alignment that you get at Town fair gets lost if you have to get the tires balanced which they don't cover, but Costco/BJs does. Plus road hazard which Town fair also doesn't do on certain tires.

I've purchased many sets of tires over the past 20 years at BJs. In the past year or so they have added more brands, so no longer limited to the Michelin family. Also, they no longer stock Uniroyals, but they are available for order. Only takes a few days for delivery.

Now if they would just start selling Nokians...

I looked at BJ's when shopping for tires around the holidays last year. The $60 installation w/lifetime balance, rotation, flat repair, etc. was very reasonable, but the tire prices were too high (at least for my application). In the end, I carried in tires I bought online to my indy who Road Force balanced & aligned the car for cheaper than the OTD BJ's cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back