Even my wife noticed

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 VW Jetta 1.8T 52,000 miles . 2 years on Mobil 1 0W40 , Then switched to Castrol 0W40 and the engine was so much smoother and quieter . For the heck of it I just tried Pennzoil Platinum 0W40 same engine noise as Castrol but engine smoothness is the best of the 3 . I didn't even tell my wife that I changed the oil so I was very surprised when she told me the Jetta seemed extra smooth today.
I know butt dynos mean nothing but to me a smooth engine means alot .

I changed out the factory fill in the Accord this weekend to Pennzoil Plat and I noticed that it runs smoother as well. It's just sounds less clangy when under throttle. Like it's enveloped in a sumptuous sump of oil.

Hmm, I noticed the opposite. I was pressed for time and it was cold so I took my GTI to the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation. They used Pennzoil Platinum, although in the 5w40 flavor (I can't imagine it being that different at temp) and it's much noisier and sounds almost like a diesel (yes I know it's the direct injection noise) when cold. I usually run Edge 0w40, and never experienced this before (even in the cold) I'll definitely being going back to it.

Every now and then this same subject of engines running with less noise with a different oil

I say-- Smokem if you go'em....
50.gif

I by no means am I saying the Penn is better than the Castrol . I think every engine even from the same manufacturer depending on how it was broken in and maintained will have a sweet spot with a particular oil . But I am saying I do not like the sound of Mobil in most vehicles

Well all I'm doing is trying different 502. approved oils , next in my Mercedes I'm going to give Total a try .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
I by no means am I saying the Penn is better than the Castrol . I think every engine even from the same manufacturer depending on how it was broken in and maintained will have a sweet spot with a particular oil . But I am saying I do not like the sound of Mobil in most vehicles

I would say it's better, even mama noticed.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
How about we gather up the numbers; Kv40, Kv100, add pack VOA's etc, plus any info on the synthetic base oil etc. Might be interesting or might just be another alien abduction. Who knows?
smile.gif

+1....but my bet is towards MoDTC level(s)...

Originally Posted by dave1251
If you or more importantly your significant other says the car is smoother. Its smoother.

Whether it is or isn't.

Originally Posted by Kjmack

I have Mobil 1 "annual" 5W-20 in my 4.6 liter F150 right now - I'm amazed it is very quiet.

Maybe there's something very different in their "Annual Protection" formula.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Every now and then this same subject of engines running with less noise with a different oil

50.gif

Maybe some are just more sensitive to things?

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
How about we gather up the numbers; Kv40, Kv100, add pack VOA's etc, plus any info on the synthetic base oil etc. Might be interesting or might just be another alien abduction. Who knows?
smile.gif

+1....but my bet is towards MoDTC level(s)...

Ok, here's one that might get me a flying saucer ride. I noticed a little less start up ticking running QUSUD 5W30, which has a Kv100 of 11.47 which is slightly to the higher side of 5w30 and has Moly at 129 ppm which is probably on the higher of concentrations seen in D1G2 oils. The Zinc and Phos was nothing to text home about, at 680 and 535 ppm. I also have a jug of Mobil TDT 5w40 to try out this summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by CourierDriver

50.gif

Maybe some are just more sensitive to things?

That is true , I try to avoid water puddles when I drive , when I ride with her I think she purposely drives through them , while I cringe silently .

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by dave1251
If you or more importantly your significant other says the car is smoother. Its smoother.

Whether it is or isn't.

Especially when it really isn't.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back