Honda recalling the serviced recalled air bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that Honda is set to recall around 1M previously serviced recalled air bags in the US and some 85 thousand in Canada. I only saw a preliminary report. Information from a Honda representative is due March 12, 2019. I had the drivers air bag replaced initially and then the passenger air bag in a later recall. Rather unsettling announcement.

I have the recall sitting on my desk for my 2016 Rubicon. I think I'll wait now, it's bad enough they have to replace it, doing the job twice would really tick me off.

Affected models include the Honda Accord from 2001 through 2007, the CR-V from 2002 through 2006, the Civic from 2001 through 2005, the Element from 2003 through 2010, the Odyssey from 2002 through 2004, the Pilot from 2003 through 2008 and the Ridgeline from 2006. Also covered are Acura luxury models including the MDX from 2003 through 2006, the EL from 2001 through 2005, the TL from 2002 and 2003 and the CL from 2003.

Last edited:
There are at least two issues going on here.

One of the failure modes has to do with the aging of the explosive agent, so it was decided to go ahead with the replacements, since they had fresh explosive material, knowing they would most likely, some would be replaced again, once the production records were fully obtained and production issues and changes were sorted out.

The other issue is hard FOD that turns into shrapnel. It was hoped that the problem was eliminated at some point in production and not all early replacement bags would be recalled. However Takata didn't just have poor production tracking, they had none. After defying a court order and being fined millions of dollars per day for not producing their production records, they finally admitted they had none.

In the end, nothing could be determined, so all the early replacement airbags are being recalled.

How does something like this happen ? Did any one go to jail ?

A couple of years ago we looked at a used Lincoln Zephyr at the Lincoln dealer . Not too bad . Might have bought it , but was tied up with the air bag situation . Or , so we were told .

Last Saturday AM I listened to an epasode of Car Pro USA on the radio . They talked about counterfit air bags . What a mess ! :-(

My Ranger was recalled twice for this - I brought it to the dealer to have the recall done, and only when I picked it up from the dealer and looked at the invoice did I see Ford did a "temporary" recall fix. A few months later I get another recall notice in the mail. They only had parts for the passenger side airbag, not the driver's, so I bring it in again and get the passenger side done. I had to wait several more months for the driver side parts to come in, then I finally brought the truck in for a third and final time and got the driver's side done again.

I just bought a '13 Toyota Sienna and I find out it has the passenger side airbag recall, and it hasn't been done yet. I called the dealer yesterday to make an appointment, and the parts are on backorder. Deja-vu all over again...

I was heavily criticized a while back for saying that the replaced airbags were still bad and that a lot of people involved should go to jail, yet when some silly emissions scandal was cooked up, some people ended up in jail, lost their careers, some "experts" quickly calculated how many people potentially died because of these extra emissions.

No such outrage in this case, people still keep driving sitting behind ticking time bombs. I find it quite fascinating.

Is there any way to find out which vehicles have takita air bags and have not been recalled.
We got a recall notice on our 2012 Fusion and it is not on any of the lists I see on the internet.
I have 2004 Buick le sabre and as most all of them do the dash pad is puling out of the seam, looks ugly. It would be nice if the passenger air bag was Takita and and could get that fixed for free. It is old GM, so who pays even.

It boggles my mind that Takata could have no production lot records and maintain their ability to supply to OEM's. The minimum requirements of a supplier to OEM's or Tier 1's is TS16949 (IATF 16949 now) with ISO14001 strongly recommended. The production record keeping system is a basic requirement of a quality system!! The registrar of Takata's quality system should also be charged!

If a supplier loses their quality standard due to a registrar audit with Major Non-Conformances for which the vendor ignores, the registrar is legally obliged to inform the IATF 16949 body and they in-turn will send notice to the customers. It seems someone was paying off the registrar company to look the other way, and grant Takata renewals on their Quality Certificates.

Standard practice for OEM's to send in their own Quality System Auditors when they sense a problem with a vendor - due diligence requires it!

Totally amazing how Takata could have been a supplier for so long with such bad record keeping. They must have been really, really cheap air bags for the OEM's to close their eyes so tight.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I was heavily criticized a while back for saying that the replaced airbags were still bad and that a lot of people involved should go to jail, yet when some silly emissions scandal was cooked up, some people ended up in jail, lost their careers, some "experts" quickly calculated how many people potentially died because of these extra emissions.

No such outrage in this case, people still keep driving sitting behind ticking time bombs. I find it quite fascinating.

For a while the replacement inflators were the same ones being removed, just new.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
[For a while the replacement inflators were the same ones being removed, just new.

This, they have to do something to reduce the risk (at least statistically speaking they will be much safer because they are new) because they can't build other kinds of airbag right away, then later if they can't figure out how to verify, replace it again.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Is there any way to find out which vehicles have takita air bags and have not been recalled.
We got a recall notice on our 2012 Fusion and it is not on any of the lists I see on the internet.
I have 2004 Buick le sabre and as most all of them do the dash pad is puling out of the seam, looks ugly. It would be nice if the passenger air bag was Takita and and could get that fixed for free. It is old GM, so who pays even.

2012 Fusions are a part of the recall. 19S01 is the field service action number. Parts are restricted and the dealer has to order by the VIN get the parts in, we are not allowed to do stock orders on that particular part number.

Found NHTSA recall number 19V -182 dated 3-6-2019
Look yours up at https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls
or https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

TAKATA AIRBAG RECALL 19V 182 3-6-2019.jpg

Originally Posted by KGMtech
It boggles my mind that Takata could have no production lot records and maintain their ability to supply to OEM's. The minimum requirements of a supplier to OEM's or Tier 1's is TS16949 (IATF 16949 now) with ISO14001 strongly recommended. The production record keeping system is a basic requirement of a quality system!! The registrar of Takata's quality system should also be charged!

If a supplier loses their quality standard due to a registrar audit with Major Non-Conformances for which the vendor ignores, the registrar is legally obliged to inform the IATF 16949 body and they in-turn will send notice to the customers. It seems someone was paying off the registrar company to look the other way, and grant Takata renewals on their Quality Certificates.

Standard practice for OEM's to send in their own Quality System Auditors when they sense a problem with a vendor - due diligence requires it!

Totally amazing how Takata could have been a supplier for so long with such bad record keeping. They must have been really, really cheap air bags for the OEM's to close their eyes so tight.

From what I have read on the subject, Takata knew right from the beginning these airbags have a design flaw, so if you look at it from that perspective, their "poor" record keeping was intentional in most likelihood and like you said, they probably paid some good bribes to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for anyone calling a dealer, we can't look up by the NHTSA number. People call with this long number when it is actually 19S01 for most of the Fords. Looks like on the letter above the Honda campaign number is O41.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Sigh... Not again! What a nuisance. I'm amazed that Takata still exists.

There's no choice. It's not like there were a bunch of other manufacturers who could take up the slack. They had about 20% of the market. It takes a while to replace 20% of the production out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back