Coal-to-liquid engine oil!

Col gasification gives a really good syngas of CO and H2 that can be pulled away from the CO2 and other undesirables.

I don't doubt that you physically can make decent base oil from coal but it begs the question, why would you ever want to?

The world is awash with oil and only a tiny amount of the raw Vacuum Gas Oil that's available is needed for base oil manufacture so you can afford to be picky.

I would have thought the Chinese would be better off making conventional Group III from their very waxy, very low sulphur domestic crudes like Daqing or Dalian.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
Col gasification gives a really good syngas of CO and H2 that can be pulled away from the CO2 and other undesirables.

Back in the day when cities had gas lanterns for street lighting , wasn't the gas sometimes produced by " baking " coal ? Called town gas ?

Did not know China had any significant oil deposits ?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by Shannow

Back in the day when cities had gas lanterns for street lighting , wasn't the gas sometimes produced by " baking " coal ? Called town gas ?

Did not know China had any significant oil deposits ?

Yes,
coal is ignited then brought up to a glow....then starved of oxygen (limited amounts), and steam passed over it. The steam then cracks in the high temperatures, and a mixture of CO and H2 is produced (water gas reaction) with some CO2, H2S etc. etc. That's why "putting your head in the oven" used to be effective, the CO would nail you quickly...gas leaks in houses were often fatal.

As the temperature of the coal drops, steam is shut off and air re-applied...3 banks working sequentially.

When I got to this town, this was one of the prominent landmarks of the town, the old town gas gasometer...we are on NG now.
[Linked Image]

I think Shell use this method too, to produce their base oil stock, their plant in South East Asia said to mostly use coal to liquid method

interesting reading + as usual if profits can be made it will be used, nothing gets done especially in USA unless money can be made!!

Hitler's tanks ran on gasoline made from coal. Maybe oil too. The question is, what is the ROI? Maybe not worth it in the short run. Since burning coal is going away by regulation and coal is still abundant, maybe it is worthwhile to reutilize an available resource?

tremendous amounts of anthracite coal in my area are shipped overseas + Blaschak Coal in Mahanoy city is listed as a GLOBAL supplier with long trains of coal cars across from their Breaker. although more work Coal is the most economical heat today IMO. i am now comfy with a small Harman hand fired stove that costs about $300 for heat in the winter, the only time i burn it, $185 a ton hauled by me + ashes get dumped at the local twp garage for use on the snowey roads!!

Back