A/F vs O2 sensor - Denso website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordering O2 for my Highlander and the Densoautoparts.com has 2 sets

upstream called A/F and downstream called O2. Never knew they were called such, always thought they were O2s.

Anyway, would replacing the upstream be fine or would replacing all be needed.

No codes but then with 190K the OEM served me very very well and intend to keep this going for at-least 50K miles.

If it's preventive maintenance then just replace the upstream. The car only uses the downstream for cat efficiency and generally doesn't affect how the car runs.

Where are you ordering from? I had to order FOUR for my truck and found a guy on eBay who has a surplus of o2's. I can see if he has yours in his store.

On a Highlander/Lexus RX:
The upstream are the A/F sensors in the exhaust manifolds in either Bank 1 or Bank 2...each bank having it's own Cat. Conv.
The downstream is the single O2 sensor near the single Cat Conv/Resinator area.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Ford calls the front ones EGOs and HEGOs. The rear sensors are referred to as "cat monitors" since that is pretty much all they do.

I remember the term UEGO from the automotive electronic design days, did those fail to catch on?

Folks, can someone help me with a picture on the upstream A/F sensors.
Have a CA vehicle and it has 4 sensors unlike the rest of the country and lost now.

There are two upstream sensors and they are air/fuel (wideband) sensors. They are the same part number - #234-9042.

I am not sure why you are purchasing them from that site. Rockauto is significantly cheaper.

I had to replace the A/F sensor on my Accord and it was considerably more expensive than a regular O2 sensor.

Went under to find the rear bank A/F, it right up there parallel to the one next to the radiator. Right up there under the throttle body.
Why would any moron put it right up there when there is a jungle of things next to the TB. Unbelievebly hard to get to the rear upstream ones.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Went under to find the rear bank A/F, it right up there parallel to the one next to the radiator. Right up there under the throttle body.
Why would any moron put it right up there when there is a jungle of things next to the TB. Unbelievebly hard to get to the rear upstream ones.

The sensor is the easy part. The connector is the hardest part.

I have done a few of the 3.0/3.3 sensors. They suck but are not terrible to do.

I had my daughter help me remove the connector although getting to the sensor has been tough.
A video on YouTube talks about going from under but then going from the passenger side (w/ wheel removed) with a long extension and flex head ratchet would seem easier.

Any ideas as to how its best to get to the sensor would be appreciated.

Can't be of much help but spray with penetrate and have both the socket and the crows-foot options available for removal. I've done it on my 3.5 2010 Sienna, but I don't know how similar it would be to the 2006 3.3. You might wanna go from above and take off the intake manifold, I did it while doing the plugs as preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted by Supersonic
Can't be of much help but spray with penetrate and have both the socket and the crows-foot options available for removal. I've done it on my 3.5 2010 Sienna, but I don't know how similar it would be to the 2006 3.3. You might wanna go from above and take off the intake manifold, I did it while doing the plugs as preventative maintenance.

Got them replaced but the rear sensor is no walk in the park - one needs long pliers and tons of patience. Doing this when replacing the plugs is the best PM and its easy but with the intake its is a nightmare. One other PM would be when changing the plugs at 120K/10yr is to replace the high-pressure power steering hose as well. They do leak w/o a fail on all models after 10-12 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back