Not fun anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was younger I enjoyed the challenges auto repair brought. Cars were not that complicated. Now I'm beginning to hate challenges. 90% of auto problems today are electrical related. I absolutely hate doing electrical repairs. Almost always an undersized connector.

I just spent the afternoon standing on my head removing an intake manifold to get to a starter. Whoever designed this needs to be shot.

Guess I'm getting too old to keep up with technology.

IMG_20190311_164234.jpg

Looks like an old fashioned V8 engine.

Not too bad to change the starters out on my Rav4 and Corollas. Probably the weakest parts in them having had to change them out in all 3.

Originally Posted by Chris142
When I was younger I enjoyed the challenges auto repair brought. Cars were not that complicated. Now I'm beginning to hate challenges. 90% of auto problems today are electrical related. I absolutely hate doing electrical repairs. Almost always an undersized connector.

I just spent the afternoon standing on my head removing an intake manifold to get to a starter. Whoever designed this needs to be shot.

Shooting them would be counter productive, Make them perform the required maintenance/parts replacement.

Originally Posted by 2009Edge
Originally Posted by Chris142

Shooting them would be counter productive, Make them perform the required maintenance/parts replacement.

Agree,
Make them fix them when they break down.
smile.gif

Toyota UZ V8, Guessing Tundra or Sequoia? I find them easier than the newer UR V8's.....
A Topside Creeper would probably help you with jobs like this, They're a live saver when working on light duty diesel pick-ups.

I like electric work, Every mechanic is different as to what facet of the job they like & dislike.

Ya, had that done about 2 months ago; it was an $850 job around here.6

One starter in 18 years and 230K short tripping miles isn't anything i was going to complain about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger

A Topside Creeper would probably help you with jobs like this, They're a live saver when working on light duty diesel pick-ups.

Never heard of one. Gotta check that out.

It looks like a simple enough mechanical repair, I like electrical repairs also but now I can do whatever I like I enjoy body work and painting the most.

I'm a semi mechanic. The one thing I notice about other mechanics is that most get burned out and don't wanna touch a wrench.
That is what started the flat rate system in my opinion.
I work with a few guys that only wanna do diagnostic work, hope the parts room doesn't have the part(s) to fix it and hope 2nd shift ends up repairing it.

I got out of the repair business when I was 48 years old. some things miss most things I don't

And the Ford F250s with a diesel where you pulled the cab off to do major work on an engine? Maybe someone thought the engine would be so reliable that pulling the cab would never be needed. Thats a joke.

Originally Posted by Donald
And the Ford F250s with a diesel where you pulled the cab off to do major work on an engine? Maybe someone thought the engine would be so reliable that pulling the cab would never be needed. Thats a joke.

To be fair it is pretty easy to pull a cab if you have a lift.

Diito, I hear you man. I had to remove the intake on a 2007 Toyota Camry to get to the bank 1 (cylinders 1,3 and 5) to change the coil packs and spark plugs. Coil for cylinder #3 was bad.

I take a different approach to it. I look at auto repair as an opportunity to use my Snap-on tools. If I had to use low grade tools all day, I would hate auto repair.

I enjoy looking up the fee for repairs in my area to see how much money I saved by doing the job myself. I then quote Taryl Dactyl and say, " There's your dinner."

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I take a different approach to it. I look at auto repair as an opportunity to use my Snap-on tools. If I had to use low grade tools all day, I would hate auto repair.

There are MANY quality tools that don't carry the Snap-on name, The prestige will wear off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back