Toyota Venza oil consumption?

On Saturday I did an oil change on my brother-in-law's 2013 Toyota Venza 2.7L i4, before I drained the oil I checked the oil level and found the dipstick completely dry, I thought to myself this isn't good at all. I drained the oil and changed the filter (used Pennzoil Platinum and OEM filter). It holds 4.6 quarts, but only 2.6 quarts came out. No oil leaking or dripping anywhere, can't figure out how it could it be 2 quarts low, he always took it to a Toyota dealership for service.

This guy can do anything when it comes to construction but when it comes to cars his clueless. He takes his cars in for service when the "maintenance required" light comes on and has no idea how many miles he puts on between oil changes. My guess it was probably 10k since the last oil change because if I remember Toyota went to 10 OCI in 2011/2012.

This is a perfect example why I hate 10k OCI for the average Joe that is clueless about car maintenance.

Is the 2.7 i4 in the Venza known for oil consumption?

That one is.

I had to keep an eye on the wife's 2.4 2AZ-FE in her RAV 4. Maybe loose a quart in 5K.

Back then I was using Mobil clean 5000 5W30 ( 2005-2007)

Originally Posted by Eddie
Or the dealer didn't change the oil at the last oil change.TaDa

I hope that wasn't the case but I am sure it happens. This is exactly why I like to do my oil maintenance.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
That one is.

I had to keep an eye on the wife's 2.4 2AZ-FE in her RAV 4. Maybe loose a quart in 5K.

Back then I was using Mobil clean 5000 5W30 ( 2005-2007)

This Venza has a 2.7 1AR-FE, different engine from the RAV4 you had.

Last edited:
IMO it is lack of maintenance in an engine that as mentioned uses about 1 qt every 5,000 miles.

Education opportunity here...

I know Toyota's 2.4 engines had oil consumption issues but I don't remember hearing any issues with the 2.7

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I'm amazed that the vehicle didn't throw a notification over the low oil level.

That would be nice, but the low oil light usually comes on when it is too late, when there is no oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake

That would be nice, but the low oil light usually comes on when it is too late, when there is no oil.

Most oil light comes on when the car is 1 quart low or when it measures below the minimum line on the dipstick

Originally Posted by deven

Most oil light comes on when the car is 1 quart low or when it measures below the minimum line on the dipstick ...

That would be ideal ... but it is not true for most cars. If a car has an oil level sensor, then, yes, a warning for low oil will come on when the oil level reaches a certain point. The majority of cars do not have an oil level sensor, they have an oil pressure sensor. This light comes on when oil pressure drops to zero, usually as a result of very low oil levels. And, as a previous poster mentioned, it is usually too late to prevent engine damage.

You will usually see this light stay on for a few seconds after an oil change, as the filter fills and oil pressure builds, and for a split second when you start your car. If it stays on, you have a problem !

^^I agree with geeman, most cars have a oil pressure sensor not a oil level sensor and there is a big difference between the two. It would be nice if a oil level sensor was standard on all vehicles.

girlfriends oil thirsty 13 malibu 2.5 is doing better since changing to euro spec 5-40 oil

Moral of the story ... Check your oil once in awhile ! Takes about 10 seconds ...

Of course, you do have to learn how to open the hood ( somewhat challenging for many ... ) ... and actually TOUCH your engine OMG ... and avoid all the usual excuses, don't have time ... , shouldn't have to check oil, car is too new, or expensive, or a Toyota !

I know intelligent people who have never, and probably will never do ANYTHING to their cars aside from start it and pair up their phone ...

Originally Posted by geeman789

Most oil light comes on when the car is 1 quart low or when it measures below the minimum line on the dipstick ...

That would be ideal ... but it is not true for most cars. If a car has an oil level sensor, then, yes, a warning for low oil will come on when the oil level reaches a certain point. The majority of cars do not have an oil level sensor, they have an oil pressure sensor. This light comes on when oil pressure drops to zero, usually as a result of very low oil levels. And, as a previous poster mentioned, it is usually too late to prevent engine damage.

You will usually see this light stay on for a few seconds after an oil change, as the filter fills and oil pressure builds, and for a split second when you start your car. If it stays on, you have a problem !

Bingo!
On the BMW in my sig it has one for pressure, and one for level.

Only once did I have the level indicator light go on. It was after a shop replaced my bent oil cooler. I assumed they would have topped up the oil after they dropped the cooler lines, but they didn't.
I was mighty concerned when the light came on. But only after I thought it through did I realize what (probably) had happened.
After topping up the light reset itself, and hasn't been on since.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Or the dealer didn't change the oil at the last oil change.TaDa

I've been thinking (which is sometimes not a good thing). If you don't have a dip stick, you have no easy way to tell if there is fresh oil in the engine after a supposed oil change.

Yes I know you have to open the hood, pull out the dip stick and look at the oil, and potentially wipe it off on a paper towel to tell if the oil is clean, but I think that's within the capacity of most people.

One more reason to only buy cars with a dip stick.

Last edited:
Checking the oil , tire pressure, and fluid levels should be done at least monthly. How hard is it to set up a calendar alert to do that?

Originally Posted by JLTD
IMO it is lack of maintenance in an engine that as mentioned uses about 1 qt every 5,000 miles.

Education opportunity here...
Some use lots of oil some dont with good maintenance.

You should check your oil now and then - even if it NOT a burner.

Most people I talk to dont,. even Engineers

Thair Pappy not teachum lyke he shud.

Originally Posted by diyjake

Most oil light comes on when the car is 1 quart low or when it measures below the minimum line on the dipstick

Unfortunately this isn't true, must oil lights (red oil can light) comes on when there is low (or low) oil pressure. At that point it is highly likely you are doing some serious damage.

Back