Royal Purple XPR 5w30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Is there anyone that uses Royal Purple XPR in their daily driver? I have considered starting to do this ,and running it all 12 months. I do tow 3 days a week,and I'm also driving in a smaller size town of 100k people,where it's mostly stop and go traffic and a lot of braking and re accelerating. I live in Florida. My only concern is the winter months,where I've seen Youtube videos where Royal purple doesn't do well on the cold pour test compared to Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Ultimate Plat. Winter months is usually about 2 months ,and usually gets as low as the 30's and 40'. I have seen it get in the upper 20's and that cold for Florida. I drive a 2008 Nissan Titan, 5.6 liter 4x2 crew cab,with the flex fuel engine. Currently has 130k miles on it.

I have used xpr and it worked well in cold and warm. The cold pour test conditions are more extreme than most people will ever see, except maybe those few days this year in the midwest. You will never have cold related problems in the southeast!

You want to run a year with racing oil?
Why not just get one of the extended run synthetics ?
A 10w30 should be stout enough … and handle 30F to summer heat …

When it gets up to the lowest temps you will see my car cranks just as fast as summertime. I wouldn't worry about cold pour in your climate.

I'm not sure about 1 year with that oil though. Probably an extended drain 10w30 like 4wd suggested.

I'm not a fan of Royal Purple.

The mere fact that they die the oil dark purple as a marketing gimmick is enough to make me shy away. The poor cold pour tests and the fact that operating temp tests on it don't come out any better than the $16/jug Walmart oil pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

If I pay more for a product, I expect to get more.

That XPR is very likely to be a totally different oil than the WM shelf RP for which people post the YouTube glug tests (gotta credit Shannow for that apt name).
There is a decent PDS page for the XPR family that shows that 5W30 has a very respectable CCS test result at -22F, 4157 cP...think the test limit is something in the 6200-6600 range. Pour point is -65F, so it should be great for the glug test videos!
The thing that surprises me is that the flashpoint is only 213C/416F, which is lower than a lot of WM shelf oils (and I think that the D92 version of the test that they run is "easier" than D93). I don't think it's a problem, but I thought race oils were usually superb super high temp performers.
The TBN is quite healthy at 10.38, so no worries about early acidification. I think that some race oils are low in detergents as they are not intended to be used for long periods.
IIRC the Synerlec additive is a type of ZDDP, but I could be wrong about that. Might be a very high zinc oil...
http://www.royalpurple.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/RP-PDS-XPR-2019.pdf

Originally Posted by lawnguy
Is there anyone that uses Royal Purple XPR in their daily driver? I have considered starting to do this ,and running it all 12 months. I do tow 3 days a week,and I'm also driving in a smaller size town of 100k people,where it's mostly stop and go traffic and a lot of braking and re accelerating. I live in Florida. My only concern is the winter months,where I've seen Youtube videos where Royal purple doesn't do well on the cold pour test compared to Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Ultimate Plat. Winter months is usually about 2 months ,and usually gets as low as the 30's and 40'. I have seen it get in the upper 20's and that cold for Florida. I drive a 2008 Nissan Titan, 5.6 liter 4x2 crew cab,with the flex fuel engine. Currently has 130k miles on it.

One needs to ignore the goofy and meaningless YouTube "tests" on the cold weather performance of any oil and rely on the "W" rating instead. Pick an oil that has a W rating that is appropriate for your expected operating conditions. At the temperatures you mention nearly any W rating would be acceptable.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Yeah, go for it!! But don't expect to get much feedback encourage you to do so. ^^^^^This type of response is VERY typical here.

I have a case of M1 Racing 0w50 that I plan to mix with some more vanilla oil and run it in my Accord. You would have thought I was pouring Wesson in my car with the comments I got.

Do what you want!!! And provide us with some feedback and maybe even a UOA.

Originally Posted by OFFRD

The mere fact that they die the oil dark purple as a marketing gimmick is enough to make me shy away. The poor cold pour tests and the fact that operating temp tests on it don't come out any better than the $16/jug Walmart oil pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

You do realize that all oil companies dye their oil right? Even with the additives oil is very clear or translucent. After adding the dye it gets its amber/brown color.

Originally Posted by deven

You do realize that all oil companies dye their oil right? Even with the additives oil is very clear or translucent. After adding the dye it gets its amber/brown color.

Yes sir. Very aware. I'm highly intelligent.

Yes sir. Very aware. I'm highly intelligent.

Must be a mensa member!

I know what you mean...I feel the same way about young woman who dye their hair purple.....

Originally Posted by kschachn

One needs to ignore the goofy and meaningless YouTube "tests" on the cold weather performance of any oil and rely on the "W" rating instead. Pick an oil that has a W rating that is appropriate for your expected operating conditions. At the temperatures you mention nearly any W rating would be acceptable.

It's marketed as a boutique, high priced synthetic oil, I would think it should do well in even a crude pour pt. test if it was truly PAO...

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Originally Posted by kschachn

It's marketed as a boutique, high priced synthetic oil, I would think it should do well in even a crude pour pt. test if it was truly PAO...

The reason why its expensive has nothing to do with the base oil but everything to do with their proprietary additive "synerlec" From what I have been told it is an expensive additive and the XPR oils have 4 times the amount than what their HPS version do.

Last edited:
A pour test isn't that useful IMO. I certainly wouldn't rule an oil out just because of something like that. Also, getting down into the 20s isn't really that serious for a 5w30.

I think XPR is overkill in this case.

The reason why its expensive has nothing to do with the base oil but everything to do with their proprietary additive "synerlec" From what I have been told it is an expensive additive and the XPR oils have 4 times the amount than what their HPS version do.

Does anybody know if their API line contains Synerlec?
I thought from looking at them years ago that only the HPS line and "above" used Synerlec, but I'm not sure. It isn't mentioned in the PDS for the API line.
http://www.royalpurpledirect.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf

Originally Posted by 4WD

Haters on here always want to mock people who run anything but vanilla oil in their vehicles

From RP's website:

Can I Use Racing Oils in My Street Car?
Yes. Royal Purple's XPR racing oils are fully formulated engine oils with complete additive packages needed for long-term use. XPR's ultra-light viscosities, XPR 3.1 and XPR 0W-10, are typically only suitable for dedicated competition engines that are built to use low viscosity engine oils. Non-ultra light viscosities, XPR 5W-20, XPR 5W-30, XPR 10W-40 and XPR 20W-50, may be used in street driven and daily driver applications, street and track duty vehicles, and dedicated competition applications with gasoline or exotic fuels. Please note: Royal Purple's XPR racing oils do not conform to API and/or ILSAC licensing requirements and should not be used when manufacturers' warranties are an issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Phishin
Originally Posted by 4WD

Haters on here always want to mock people who run anything but vanilla oil in their vehicles

From RP's website:

Can I Use Racing Oils in My Street Car?
Yes. Royal Purple's XPR racing oils are fully formulated engine oils with complete additive packages needed for long-term use. XPR's ultra-light viscosities, XPR 3.1 and XPR 0W-10, are typically only suitable for dedicated competition engines that are built to use low viscosity engine oils. Non-ultra light viscosities, XPR 5W-20, XPR 5W-30, XPR 10W-40 and XPR 20W-50, may be used in street driven and daily driver applications, street and track duty vehicles, and dedicated competition applications with gasoline or exotic fuels. Please note: Royal Purple's XPR racing oils do not conform to API and/or ILSAC licensing requirements and should not be used when manufacturers' warranties are an issue.

Not really but some of us will question paying more the twice the amount for RP as other major bands of oil. Having said that I did pick up two jugs of RP last fall on sale at Walmart for $20 a jug. But since then I haven't seen it much under $38 a jug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back