New (to me) car: 2015 BMW 328i!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I used to drive nothing but BMWs but they've lost the plot for me in recent years.

What are you driving now?

I carry the family around in an Atlas and I drive a 996 Carrera.

996 eh? So you're one of "those guys". ..I see now. *joking*

Congrats on the new car. I had those as service loaners a few times and they were great cars to drive: a good balance of sport and comfort. Be sure and get some photos up!

Originally Posted by dparm
Congrats on the new car. I had those as service loaners a few times and they were great cars to drive: a good balance of sport and comfort. Be sure and get some photos up!

I took 2 or 3 last weekend when first I spotted the car, but my phone made it look silver instead of gold. Linda has a tablet that takes better pics, though.

I liked the gold more than I did a metallic dark brown 328 they also had, because the black window trim against brown made the car look a little unfinished -- as though they'd planned to come back and put some chrome around the windows, but forgot. (I like chrome.) Here, though, the black trim, and the tires and grill, contrast nicely with the gold.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by EricG
If you do your own work, this is the place to buy parts. Do some research, "Lifetime Replacement" OEM parts!

https://www.fcpeuro.com/

+1

Love FCP Euro.

+eleventy

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
I took a smooth, relaxing 30-mile Interstate run

For those that still have any doubts about BMW not being what they used to be, Benzadmiral thinks they're smooth and relaxing
lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

My friend had a new E36 back in college. It was the first BMW I ever drove, and I was thoroughly impressed.

I grew up with my parents driving mostly American garbage, and the BMW just blew my mind.

I didn't admire the constant repair costs, transmission replacement, and a various out-of-warranty work, but I guess that comes with the territory.

We have 4 BMWs. Love them all. Ours are all straight 6s ( best engine design) depending on model ( engine and car) they can be a bit of a pain for some things but I would definitely rather work on these tha a transverse 6 again. I'm not against the turbo 4 and if the right car comes up I would buy one. They are great cars that if looked after will easy last 15 years. We are in Canada and no rust. I use a variety of oils but never go long on the oci.

Congrats on the new car, hope you enjoy it.

Sure. WWII subs had night lighting in red, to preserve the sailors' night vision on patrols. Perhaps I need to think of it like that. "We've broached, Skipper." "All hands, night protocol. Number One, you have the conn."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand,

thumbsup2.gif

You just found the name of the smooth relaxing drive....

Make sure to wisper it so your dame doesn't feel betrayed....

Folk,

The Buick Regal Era (2014-2019) has come to an end. On Friday I traded it in on a CPO 2015 BMW 328i sedan, gold over cream. Five months are left of the original warranty, and I have twelve months of CPO warranty to boot. When I called my regular mechanic on Thursday to ask his opinion, he asked, "Is it the 335, the six-cylinder?"

"No."

"Good. Those sixes are hard to work on. I work on those turbo fours all the time, just regular maintenance. My wife has one."

"Parts are about the same as for Mercedes?" I asked.

"Cheaper."

With that encouragement, and news from my insurance company that my premium increase would be reasonable (for Lousy-ana, that is), I took a test drive. A few miles, street and Interstate, Comfort mode and Sport mode, was all I needed to decide. I'd expected the car to ride stiffly with the run-flat tires, but they are 17" and higher-profile than the 18" ones on my Regal. And the power . . . 245hp compared to 180? Now I understand why the ancient Greek sailors were so easily seduced by the Sirens.

I'm still learning all the features, but I took a smooth, relaxing 30-mile Interstate run on Saturday and did some regular errands on Sunday. The car is luxurious, but put it in Sport mode and it leaps like a jaguar after prey. No doubt when I have to gas up with premium every couple of weeks I'll think fondly again of the Regal. But for now I begin to understand why BMWs have such a strong following. (I hate the orange instrument lighting and wish it were blue or white. But I knew about that going in.)

Needed: Window tinting, a clear bra on the front end, floor mats, and a sunshade that actually fits (the one from the Regal, believe it or not, is a bit too big!). Otherwise, I'll give it a polish and wax this weekend, make sure the tires are properly aired, and maybe drive to the north shore of the lake for breakfast on Sunday.

Any other BMW people here? Is it worth joining the BMWCCA? And what oil do you run in yours?

I have an E85 Z4, not smooth but rather a bone jarring experience. Quite miserable with the top up but top down it's a wonderful experience.

Castrol 0w40 LL01 oil. Used to use Mobile until it lost its certification.

My first BMW was a 1973 Bavaria that my girlfriend(now wife) found for me in 1983. Between us we've owned 10 more BMWs. My only regret in over three decades of ownership is that I sold my 1988 M6 back in 1995...

"Sure. WWII subs had night lighting in red, to preserve the sailors' night vision on patrols. Perhaps I need to think of it like that. "We've broached, Skipper." "All hands, night protocol. Number One, you have the conn."

Navy and Coast Guard ships had red lights on inside at night to protect night vision. As for broaching, that must mean something different on a sub. We broached our Coast Guard cutter in Alaska and that caused some significant damage.

I always run my dash lights very low. Having red would be very welcome. It's much safer as well.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Castrol 0w40 LL01 oil. Used to use Mobile until it lost its certification.

Mobil didn't "lose" anything - and Castrol 0W-40 no longer carries LL01.

Originally Posted by PimTac
"Sure. WWII subs had night lighting in red, to preserve the sailors' night vision on patrols. Perhaps I need to think of it like that. "We've broached, Skipper." "All hands, night protocol. Number One, you have the conn."

Navy and Coast Guard ships had red lights on inside at night to protect night vision. As for broaching, that must mean something different on a sub. We broached our Coast Guard cutter in Alaska and that caused some significant damage.

I always run my dash lights very low. Having red would be very welcome. It's much safer as well.

"To broach" as in "to break the surface." (I was never in the Navy or any military; most of what I think I know about naval procedure is from Star Trek, The Caine Mutiny, and Run Silent, Run Deep.)

From what I hear, Castrol Edge 0W-30 or 0W-40 carries the BMW spec; I haven't looked yet at Walmart. In any case I'm a ways from my first oil change. I think I'll have one done at 30,000 miles, about 3-4 months from now, to establish a marker, and then do one every 7500 miles (1/2 BMW's 15K recommendation?). That's about every 8 months for me and in a nasty hot climate, not cold.

From what I hear, Castrol Edge 0W-30 or 0W-40 carries the BMW spec;
Not any more.

Their 5w-40 still does, but there are probably better oil choices out there.

I believe BMW revised the oil change interval to 10,000 miles, still to long IMO for my X1 n20. I do and oil change between 5,000 to 6,000 miles or 1 year. My daily commute is short and I drive about 5,000 to 6,000 miles a year anyway.

Originally Posted by M1256
I believe BMW revised the oil change interval to 10,000 miles, still to long IMO for my X1 n20. I do and oil change between 5,000 to 6,000 miles or 1 year. My daily commute is short and I drive about 5,000 to 6,000 miles a year anyway.

I think that a 10,000 OCI is adequate if an LL-01 oil is used, but in the end it depends on each individual's comfort level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back