Napa or Motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a 2004 F150 with 4.6L 103,000 miles. It has had dealer oil changes at 3-4000 miles since new with Motorcraft oil and filters.

I use Napa full synthetic in my cars because I buy it for our shop when it's on sale plus we get another discount, so I am getting my Napa for less than 3 dollars a Quart.

I plan on using the Napa Full Syn 5w-20 and Napa gold filters at 5000 miles. Easy driving not really any short trips.

Or should I stick with Motorcraft?

I have heard "stories" of odd engine noise when not using just the right filter, I have used the Napa oil and filter in my 2004 Escape for the last 50,000 of it's 150,000 miles with good results.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Both are good oils. Use what you can get at the best price.

Agreed....but if equally priced I'd use the full synthetic Napa....

Originally Posted by InhalingBullets
I would look into the cam phaser issues with that motor.

The 4.6 in an 04 F150 (Heritage or new body style) is a 2V and does not have cam phasers. That did not appear in the F150 with the 4.6 until the 2008 model year.

Your oil and filter choice will work fine, as will any other quality 5w20 and filter.

The 5.4 had issues with cam phasers. There is no need to stick with Motorcraft, Napa Full Syn will do the job just fine.

I have heard "stories" of odd engine noise when not using just the right filter

Some mid and late 2000's Kia and Hyundai's were known to have startup clatter if you didn't use an OEM filter. My wife's 2008 Sportage is one of them.

Originally Posted by bradepb
I should have also asked for opinions on running a 5w-30 in it since it has over 100,000 miles.

I'm glad you asked.
grin2.gif
Yes by all means, run the 5W-30 instead; it's a better oil.

I recently got a 2004 F150 with 4.6L 103,000 miles. It has had dealer oil changes at 3-4000 miles since new with Motorcraft oil and filters.

I use Napa full synthetic in my cars because I buy it for our shop when it's on sale plus we get another discount, so I am getting my Napa for less than 3 dollars a Quart.

I plan on using the Napa Full Syn 5w-20 and Napa gold filters at 5000 miles. Easy driving not really any short trips.

I have heard "stories" of odd engine noise when not using just the right filter, I have used the Napa oil and filter in my 2004 Escape for the last 50,000 of it's 150,000 miles with good results.
My '03 Grand Marquis 4.6 2V in my sig only makes strange noises when using a filter with a non-silicone ADBV, combined with not being driven for several days or longer. Switching to a Fram Ultra and Castrol Magnatec virtually eliminated startup (timing chain) rattle, and it's just shy of 123,000 miles. Also, I've not seen a reason to not use 5W20, and I actually mix in 20-30% 0W20 in winter, and it has gotten 25+ MPG on long back road drives. NAPA is a somewhat watered down version of Valvoline Synpower/Advanced Full Synthetic, and Motorcraft is made by Conoco-Phillips, they are both equally good oils, I wouldn't hesitate to run whichever one you can get the best deal on for the OLM life. IMHO, you can do better than Motorcraft filters-there have been some media tears with the FL820S ones.

Originally Posted by MNgopher

The 4.6 in an 04 F150 (Heritage or new body style) is a 2V and does not have cam phasers. That did not appear in the F150 with the 4.6 until the 2008 model year.

Nope, wrong.

My 2008 4.6 2V does NOT have cam phasers.

I've been running "clearance price" 5W-20 full synthetic all winter.

All last summer I ran (and this coming summer I'll be running again) Pennz Yellow Bottle 10W-40 that was cheap on clearance.

I have 184,000 miles and it doesn't burn/leak/use a drop.

You'd probably be the best person to know the answer if you use NAPA synthetic in your shop, just based off what you're seeing with customer vehicles...consumption, noise, complaints, etc.

We use it in our shop too because of the value/price. Haven't seen any issues with it and believe me we have some customers that push their vehicles past recommended oil change intervals.

I've used it myself a few times, I haven't had any issues with it but I prefer an oil with moly rather than sodium...why I don't know. Lol

As a former owner of multiple 4.6L engines, use either oil in either grade, and go with the NAPA Gold/WIX filter.

My Elantra is one of those "stories" that makes noise when not using just the right filter. WIX (NAPA Gold) and OEM Hyundai are both quiet.

Wix 51372 NAPA 1372 work really well and anti drain back valve keeps engines quiet and on these engines I fill them some because they do rattle on fill up if you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back