Summer Generator Oil 5W40 Valvoline Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any experience on using this as your summer (read: High temps, High humidity) generator oil ?

All our generators are Honda models (EM7000, EU65000, EU7000) and often they run one week or longer non-stop.

Since it's about $20/gallon, price is not bad.

[Linked Image]

Humidity doesn't matter. You live in Florida and while hot and sticky in the summer, you don't experience the hot, desert temperatures like in Arizona.
A synthetic 10W30 would be better. Why? Because your running the generator as you say nonstop for a week or longer and if you can use a little less fuel, so why not?

I've run it in a Honda powered power washer. I think it will be fine for your application.

I've been running Chevron Delo 5W-40 synthetic in my Honda EU3000is for the past 2 years with no issue, including a power outage at 3degF temp. Cranked right up and ran for 5-6 hours.

All the Hondas are inverters so they run normally at only 2,200 RPM or little less.

That feeds about 5 tons (60,000 BTU) of heatpump cooling (Mitsubishi inverters), 3 refrigerators, pool pump, water heater (3-way switch between 1125w and 4500w mode) and lights, using only about 2800 watts total power.

That oil will be a fine choice for Florida. In fact, I use M1, 5W-40 TDT in my Honda 390's with excellent results.

The Honda generators you have manage cooling well. The good news is that oil temps are unlikely to soar as they might in lesser equipment. What ever you choose, make sure it's a quality oil and change it regularly.

I think you will be fine using it. I use 0-40 in my Onan whole house generator in WV. After trying several weights I've settled on that. Easy crank and good hot protection. Book says I can use 15-40.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Humidity doesn't matter. You live in Florida and while hot and sticky in the summer, you don't experience the hot, desert temperatures like in Arizona.
A synthetic 10W30 would be better. Why? Because your running the generator as you say nonstop for a week or longer and if you can use a little less fuel, so why not?

What you want in circumstances like those on Florida is a stout oil...with high HTHS...and not something in API/ILSAC range
smile.gif

So if it MUST be a sae30 oil...lets have something with ACEA on it....or a holy trinity on it (vw/mb/bmw)

IDK if its 10w30 SYNTHETIC...if it has HTHS of 2.9 and NOACK of...?
smile.gif

Ive been running Valvoline racing 10w30 synthetic to keep my Generac 6500 from knocking when it gets hot. I also squirted in an oz of Lubri Moly just for kicks. Splash lube you know. Seems to work.

Come to think of it time for an OCI on that, with over 5 years on the oil!

I'm planing on filling my Generac ix2000 inverter generator with Mobil 15W - 50 for a 10 day camping trip on asitiqie island in June with 100 hr OCI.

A search on the internet shows the hottest temperature ever on asitiqie was 106 F and that was in June.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back