Mounting 15inch car tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I understand it's hard to explain via web but do you guys have any prefer method for mounting car tires?

I have mounted motorcycle ones in the past, removal and bead breaker doesn't seem too bad.

But for installation, I am unable to slide the rim on the tire, usually once wheel is pushed into the tire then other side is a matter of tire irons, patience and technique.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong and unable to slide the rim on to the tire? Appreciate any help and advise
thumbsup2.gif

P.S: if I go for HF manual tire changer, I have to means to fix that either in the floor or some plywood, hence not really pulling the trigger on it.

I use the HF changer "loose" with my foot on the bottom. Have probably, no lie, come close to doing 100 tires on the thing. It's worth its weight in chineseum!

With what you're doing now, you don't have a good way of holding the rim still so you can lever against it. With it mounted to the HF thing and with one foot on the thing, you're mint!

Originally Posted by eljefino
I use the HF changer "loose" with my foot on the bottom. Have probably, no lie, come close to doing 100 tires on the thing. It's worth its weight in chineseum!

With what you're doing now, you don't have a good way of holding the rim still so you can lever against it. With it mounted to the HF thing and with one foot on the thing, you're mint!

I actually went to HF today to get the tire changer, they didn't have it in stock. I'll probably get it this week then.

In terms of using lubricant, I was using dish-soap mixed with water, do you recommend anything else? Also my rims are steelies, so not too concerned about them.

Straight coolant is the best bead lube I've used And it has the advantage that it's good for rubber and metals. I have a gallon jug of Supertech straight coolant with the sole purpose of bead lube.

I don't use one of the manual tire machines, though. I just use three harbor freight tire irons.

I've probably done 20 or so tires on mine. I have to have it bolted to the ground otherwise it doesnt work for me. Just slides around frustratingly. I've seen people on youtube fight with the tire and bend the rim, if your fighting with the tire really hard, your probably doing something wrong. I would recommend having another person help you. I use soup water and works just fine.

here's what i use
wink.gif

I bought this about 7 or 8 years ago, I had been looking for one for a long time but this had a good deal where it was on sale and free shipping from California because it was the companies anniversary

The balancer I got last year from a guy that bought it and never used it so it was pretty much new.

2 of the best things I ever bought.

43402100_10156936802064474_4011048796430532608_o.jpg

965636_10151617582029474_810379116_o.jpg

I use the hf tire changer on my 15in steels. I do not know how people use it without bolting it to the ground. Mine is bolted to my garage floor. If I had to do it again I would just buy an old cheap tire machine off Craigslist. Also the hf tire changer Mars the rim pretty good on alloy wheels.

Using flammable/explosive gases is truly a bad idea. If you can't do it right you shouldn't be doing it. The safer way to do it is with a Cheetah, or similar to seat the bead on a stubborn tire. Works great, and lessens the chance for disaster to save a few bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qrs-0dl6gw

Costco charges $ 15.00 per tire to mount and balance.

Or you could blow yourself up to save a measly few bucks ... ! There is always the RIGHT tool for the job. Butane etc is NOT the right tool ...

Alright I have installed 2 tires, is there a special trick for seating the bead? I tried to fill it up and can hear air leaking.

sometimes if you take the tire/rim assembly and stand it up and put some weight on it while putting air into it will get the beads to seat enough that it will inflate the rest of the way.

also sometimes putting a strap around the tire in the center of the tread and tightening it will push the sidewalls out and help the beads to make contact with the rim to seal and take air.

otherwise the flammable method, it does work if you are careful.

yes the cheetah has been mentioned. there are other cheaper brands out there on amazon etc, probably gonna buy one myself eventually, some trailer tires like bias ply tires look like pancakes after you put them on the rim and come nowhere close to seating when you try to air them, or some tires are so stiff they don't flex enough to get the beads to seat.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder

otherwise the flammable method, it does work if you are careful.

I've done it at home for a couple of the truck tires I couldn't get mounted. If you do it, a little is enough. For God's sake don't put a ton in there. Just make sure you put are in their IMMEDIATELY after detonation otherwise it will just flop back down.

Originally Posted by Traction
Using flammable/explosive gases is truly a bad idea. If you can't do it right you shouldn't be doing it. The safer way to do it is with a Cheetah, or similar to seat the bead on a stubborn tire. Works great, and lessens the chance for disaster to save a few bucks.

Learned something new, love the idea of this tool. I could have used it last Spring when my snowblower tires refused to inflate. (I had tubes put in them since then).

I see the video has a partial ring shaped inflation device that goes on the end of the tube, does that come with it?

One more thing- you won't see this in a cordless model, any time soon.

Originally Posted by Traction

I posted the fire mounting video as a gag...I don't recommend that method, either!!!

I used to use a big rubber ring that sealed the gap between the tire and the rim. I looked one up at Myers tire supply - $100! Whew!!

But as a followup thought, how about an inner tube?

For a 15" tire, a 13" tube would be small enough to fit in the gap, but large enough to expand.

Start by inflating the tube enough to form a toroid.

Liberally lube the tube.

Insert over the rim flange and it should come to rest between the tire and the rim flange.

Slowing inflate the tire so the tube is expelled.

I don't know if it would work, but it is worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back