Oil and multi air

Status
Not open for further replies.
How picky is the system in all reality. Our darts call for 0w20 but is that really necessary? Will 5w20or 5w30 hurt anything? I can't imagine making a system honestly so touch but alot of folks say they really? If you have this system what would you do oil and interval and viscosity wise or brand?

Just stick with recommended viscosities and oil change intervals. Intervals are hard to recommend due to lack of info.

You live in MO where it gets cold in Winter.

Treating your car to 0W-20 might not be a bad idea. Brand? ....any good one will do. Go with Valvoline or Mobil1 or Walmart's brand.

Keep it simple but keep it clean.

I've only used 0w20 in my dart so far. Something I don't understand is everyone says you have to use 0w20 because of the multi air, but the 1.4 turbo also has multi air and they require 5w40. Now my hemi truck has mds and same thing everyone says you have to use 5w20 for mds to work correctly. I've used Mobil 1 5w30 in the past and never had any issues with mds. Now I have mds disabiled with my tuner so don't have to worry about it

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I would think that 0W-20 and 5W-20 are interchangeable.

I agree that 0W-20 and 5W-20 are interchangeable, so I don't know if I see the benefit of moving up to 5W-20 unless you just have a lot of that oil that you picked up on sale. I bought some of the Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 on sale that I'll run in my Elantra which calls for 5W-XX oils. I'll use it happily until I'm out, then move back to some of my 5W-20 stash.

From the 2014 Giulietta owner's manual:

Quote:
Always make sure it is C3 your handbook contains the following warning on page 242 of the handbook ;
For petrol engines with Multi Air system, use of lubricants with features lower than ACEA C3 and SAE grade other than 5W-40 could cause engine damage which is not covered by warranty.

Picture of the European oil cap:
Oil_Goes_Here.jpg

Ed

Do you guys have a brand preference that would do really well in these engines

What EdHackett said. “Multiair” is a Fiat branded item. If you go to Shell UK or Castrol UK you will find that 5W40 is recommended oils for “Multiair “ equipped cars. I think most of us know the reasoning behind the lighter weight oil recommendations for US cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
What EdHackett said. “Multiair” is a Fiat branded item. If you go to Shell UK or Castrol UK you will find that 5W40 is recommended oils for “Multiair “ equipped cars. I think most of us know the reasoning behind the lighter weight oil recommendations for US cars.

Is it recommended in non turbo cars though our 1.4 liter turbo with multiair calls for 5w40 but my Dart with the 2.4 liter non turbo calls for 0w20

So it's 0W20 in North America but 5W40 in Europe. Nice.

I think that answers your question, yes 5W30 will be OK.

ram_man
To answer your original question, either is fine. As for brand, any that has API SN rating.

Last edited:
My wife's Jeep Renegade has the 2.4L Multi Air and it also recommends nothing but 0W-20. I have yet to find anybody running a 5W-30 or higher in it with a oil analysis to back up the claim it causes no issue.

As much as I would like to play engineer on this, I am going to stick to the 0W-20 until it is out of warranty and go from there. Anybody can tell you to run something besides the 0W-20 and you will be fine, but I doubt anybody is going to be helping you pay for any out pocket costs in the event of a warranty denial.

Until somebody shows me a fluid recommendation chart from another country that says the non turbo multi airs can run anything higher than a 0W-20, I am not going down that route.

I just bought a 500 Abarth with the 1.4 Multiair turbo motor that specs 5w40.
I noticed the owners manual says it won't start below -30C if the block heater has not been plugged in (assuming a cold-soaked engine I guess).

I can't help but wonder if that doesn't have something to do with the pour-point range of a 5wXX oil and operation of the Multiair system since other vehicles using the same oil with standard cam-operated (or at least directly-cam-operated) valves seem to have no such temperature limitation.

I also wonder why, if that's the case, they don't spec a 0w40 for winter in colder climates as failing to start at -30C (or below) could lead to a life-threatening situation and the Multiair system in the Dart seems to work fine with a 0wXX oil as it's the required oil for that engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back