Castrol Professional LL IV FE in Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all. I have made some attempt at Googling my question, but I cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

I have a 2003 Honda Element with the 2.4 engine. Honda recommends 5W-20 oil. I have used many a 0W-20 (and the recommended 5W-20) for the cold winters here in Canada, and have had no issue thus far. In fact, I have even used 5W-30 for the hotter summer months.

However, a friend of mine just gave me three quarts of leftover Castrol Edge Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 oil. He used to have some kind of Volkswagen, I think.

Anyway, is this oil suitable as a "top-off" oil in my Honda Element? I realize the 0W-20 part is perfectly acceptable, I am just not sure of these European spec oils.

VW 508 00/509 00 is also listed on the back of the bottle, if this helps you answer my question.

Castrol Pro.jpg

Castrol doesn't claim that it meets anything other than Porsche and VW performance specs. Not even API SN. It's a specific oil for specific vehicles. A similar oil is Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20, which XOM claims meets API SL but only meets engine test requirements for API SN.

I'm guessing you'll have no problem, but it's a little bit odd to use something this exotic in anything other than what it was intended for. You have no way of knowing if there's something that might not meet emissions requirements.

Originally Posted by nthach
It's fine - I think VW/Porsche specs are better than API SN. Don't turn down free, good oil.

Exactly. I have used it recently with a 10k mile OCI. My engine did not blow up. My casual observation is that it was a fine oil. Althoiugh the Lubrizol spider graph chart is confusing here, an oil spec'd for a Macan should logically be quite adequate in your Honda. Mid to low SAPS. Factory certified.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I'd be super tempted to throw that on Kijiji and see if you could sell it or trade it for a less exotic 0W20, but you will be fine.

Here's a thread regarding said oil:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4235130/EDGE_Professional_LL_IV_FE_0W-

I did see that particular thread before I made this post. However, much of that post deals with the colour of the oil as well as various engine displacements. It doesn't really talk about whether or not this oil is suitable in non-VW applications.

I guess a better wording of my question would be: Do you think that this Castrol Oil would meet API specs and Honda requirements back when the 2003 Element was built? Back in 2003, we were probably in the SL/SM range of things....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by propuckstopper
I guess a better wording of my question would be: Do you think that this Castrol Oil would meet API specs and Honda requirements back when the 2003 Element was built? Back in 2003, we were probably in the SL/SM range of things....

They make no guarantees of course. Just VW and Porche specs. Like I found, the Mobil 1 equivalent has a few more approvals (including Jaguar), says it meets API SL specs, and meets "engine tests" of API SN. I don't know if they sell it in North America.

https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-x2-0W20
This product meets or exceeds the requirements of:

API SN Engine Test Requirements

API SL

ACEA C5

If I were to guess, this Castrol oil **probably** meets the API SJ/SL specs that your Element would have specified, but again no way of knowing. But if you're only topping off between oil changes, there's probably not much impact.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Maybe save enough to do a VOA?

Nah. I only received three quarts, so it is hardly worth spending 25 or 30 bucks on a VOA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back