9mm choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Just got this bad boy last week, G17 Gen 5. It's awesome!

I've got a gen 5 17 MOS on order from the local gun store that I'm waiting very impatiently for.

I HATE the grip cutout on my gen 5 19.

I do too. Pearce offers mag base plates that fill that notch in and make the gun Much nicer to shoot.

Originally Posted by The_Eric

I've got a gen 5 17 MOS on order from the local gun store that I'm waiting very impatiently for.

I do too. Pearce offers mag base plates that fill that notch in and make the gun Much nicer to shoot.

Yes, I have them on my magazines, and they do improve things slightly. But instead of a sharp hole digging into my finger, it now pinches which each shot. It's so frustratingly dumb.

I picked up my 17 MOS today. The full-sized grip minus the cutout is fantastic.

Originally Posted by Huie83
The P320 is a great choice. I've fired them a few times and a buddy of mine has owned one for years, nice guns. They also come in a carry platform. If you are thinking of carrying in the future, check that out. IMO, the regular P320 is way too bulky to conceal carry.

Cool thing is if you do get a full size P320, you can always swap out the trigger group in your P320 to a smaller frame for carry, they are fully modular. The serial number is attached to the trigger group not the frame like most handguns. You can swap it into any P320 frame, very neat.

The concept is neat, but in practice it doesn't make sense. The conversion parts are expensive and their availability is poor.

Unless you live in a jurisdiction that prohibits you from owning multiple guns, you might as well just buy a completely separate firearm.

I own a few of the guns on your list, including the P320.

The concept is neat, but in practice it doesn't make sense. The conversion parts are expensive and their availability is poor.

Unless you live in a jurisdiction that prohibits you from owning multiple guns, you might as well just buy a completely separate firearm.

I guess I'd rather drop $349 on a P320 compact conversion kit than $550 on a whole new firearm. I guess unless you just wanted another handgun for some reason. From what I can tell the kits are in stock on their website and can be shipped right to your door. Have you found otherwise? I'm seriously asking because like the OP, I like them and have been toying with the idea of getting one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The_Eric

Yes, I have them on my magazines, and they do improve things slightly. But instead of a sharp hole digging into my finger, it now pinches which each shot. It's so frustratingly dumb.

I picked up my 17 MOS today. The full-sized grip minus the cutout is fantastic.

It goes to show how varied and different people are - I really don't notice any pinching. I did lightly debur the edges of the notch, maybe that helped?

I guess I'd rather drop $349 on a P320 compact conversion kit than $550 on a whole new firearm. I guess unless you just wanted another handgun for some reason. From what I can tell the kits are in stock on their website and can be shipped right to your door. Have you found otherwise? I'm seriously asking because like the OP, I like them and have been toying with the idea of getting one.

That makes no sense. Add in the cost of the extra mag or two you get with the complete gun and you're within $125-160 or so of an entire gun.

You are worried about a safe gun... The Sig P320 has shot about 5 people just from being dropped. The gun lacks a internal trigger safety (likes the Glock has) and has a lightweight pull, which is a recipe for accidental discharges. There are several lawsuits out there.

And you never said what you wanted the pistol for? What is its purpose? You need a purpose before you can decide what you want/need.

If it's for home defense/target shooting, I would strongly look at these pistols, in this order...

Walther PPQ M2
Smith Wesson M&P9 2.0
Glock model 45 9mm (not 17)

The Glock is GENIOUS in its design. You can completely strip every part out of it, and completely rebuild it with all new springs, without any special tools, in less than 3 minutes. This is a HUGE factor for me, because I can keep any Glock running for practically forever without the need to send it somewhere for repair. If anything breaks, it easy to diagnose, cheap to fix, and extremely easy to fix, all by myself, in minutes.

You'll find that a vast majority of true professionals carry and use Glock for many many good reasons.

I don't see Smith Wesson MP pistols in your list. I actually prefer the Smith Wesson over a Glock. I really like the 3rd Gen Smith's the best and the Berettas are a close second.
I like how the safety's deactivate the trigger.
I am not comfortable with carrying a Glock in a concealed state. In a holster on my side - fine.
Still picking a gun is like picking a girlfriend. It's really what you like.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
You are worried about a safe gun... The Sig P320 has shot about 5 people just from being dropped. The gun lacks a internal trigger safety (likes the Glock has) and has a lightweight pull, which is a recipe for accidental discharges. There are several lawsuits out there.

And you never said what you wanted the pistol for? What is its purpose? You need a purpose before you can decide what you want/need.

If it's for home defense/target shooting, I would strongly look at these pistols, in this order...

Walther PPQ M2
Smith Wesson M&P9 2.0
Glock model 45 9mm (not 17)

Rut-Roh Raggy! That is a serious safety flaw of the sig. Thanks for bringing that up, I need to research that. Also thanks for your suggestions, will look into those guns. Yes, purpose is for target shooting and home defense. Back to research for me!

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX

I own a few of the guns on your list, including the P320.

And how do you like the P320 in regards to the others on my list? likes, dislikes?

Originally Posted by Panzerman
I don't see Smith Wesson MP pistols in your list. I actually prefer the Smith Wesson over a Glock. I really like the 3rd Gen Smith's the best and the Berettas are a close second.
I like how the safety's deactivate the trigger.
I am not comfortable with carrying a Glock in a concealed state. In a holster on my side - fine.
Still picking a gun is like picking a girlfriend. It's really what you like.

I couldn't agree more with your last statement.

One of the surprise safety on my SR22 that I really like after owning the gun is the magazine disconnect feature. When the magazine is not in the gun, it will not fire even when there's a round in the chamber. Love that feature.

Thank you all for your opinions and posts. Especially ones reminding me about gun safety rules. I will stay vigilant and practice care with firearms. Enjoy your "toys" and keep the 2A fire burning!

Originally Posted by hatt

That makes no sense. Add in the cost of the extra mag or two you get with the complete gun and you're within $125-160 or so of an entire gun.

The kits come with mags as well, the only thing they don't have is the trigger group.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
........you've heard of "measure twice, cut once"? Well "check twice, pull once"!

I like that!

Stealing.

A friend of mine has a Sig p365. That gun really fits my small hands. I'm going to shoot it at some point. If it shoots as good as it feels in my hand, i'm going to get one.

The kits come with mags as well, the only thing they don't have is the trigger group.

Awesome. Question. The kit you are talking about that costs hundreds, is that for changing the caliber or just the frame size? To change the size of the frame, you use the same trigger chassis, slide, barrel and spring right?

In response to Bubbatimes' comment about the P320 discharging when dropped, I researched it further and found this video. What really got on my nerve, from the video, is that Sig doesn't even have a mandatory recall out on the firearm but only a "voluntary" upgrade. That, to me, is poor customer service and because of that, Sig is now off my list.

Thank you Bubbatime for bringing that very important safety flaw to the light and saving me from a purchase I would have regretted. One of the many reasons why I love this community!
cheers3.gif

Looks like they come with one mag. Put $150 with it and have two guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back