6 vs. 9 vs. 12 year water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are looking into having our 25 year old gas water heater replaced. Works great, just a bit old. I bought our house about a year and a half ago and this is the unit that came with the house. I am planning on going with a Rheem 40 gallon gas unit. I see some are rated for 6, 9, and 12 years. Are there truly any differences between them, or are you just paying more for a better warranty?

I don't mind spending a bit extra for quality.

You guessed it , your just buying the warranty . The longest warranty one might have a better looking jacket around it but all the operating parts are the same .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kjmack
You guessed it , your just buying the warranty . The longest warranty one might have a better looking jacket around it but all the operating parts are the same .

Upon looking further, it looks like the 12 year comes with a brass drain valve. Better than plastic for sure, but I wonder if there are any other differences.

Originally Posted by Kjmack

Thats mostly true but not 100%.

The biggest difference will be the anode rod. Cheaper usually will have a single rod probably aluminum, mid range usually a larger/longer rod and might be Magnesium, and the higher cost ones are dual rod and usually Magnesium.

The other differences might be brass vs plastic valve and burner controls (for gas of course) are a couple I remember seeing.

Best bang for the buck is the cheap to lower mid-range ones but install a full size/length Magnesium rod in it before installing. Or even dual rods if you can get to the intake bolt. Many put the foam above it so its very difficult to get to them after they are built now.

Keep the old one. The new one will probably last until the warranty period ends. That's what I see on mine.

Last edited:
As long as you have a good floor drain where your water heater is located, wait until the existing unit breaks unless you have insufficient water. Some old heaters might be clogged with sediment, which would affect capacity. Get the 12 yr one if you plan to stay in the house for awhile.

Originally Posted by NO2
As long as you have a good floor drain where your water heater is located, wait until the existing unit breaks unless you have insufficient water. Some old heaters might be clogged with sediment, which would affect capacity. Get the 12 yr one if you plan to stay in the house for awhile.

There is no floor drain. I am surprised so many people are recommending keeping the older unit.

Originally Posted by mez
Keep the old one. The new one will probably last until the warranty period ends. That's what I see on mine.

Yep; unless it's showing signs of rust and corrosion.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by mez

Yep; unless it's showing signs of rust and corrosion.

It's a bit rusty where the water lines connect to the heater, other than that just some surface rust here and there where the paint has been scratched away.

Change out the anode rod in the old one. I've got some 6 year ones that are 10-12 years old although the oldest one I have is 20 years old. Once the anode rod is gone, the whole tank will start rusting out. If you change the rod before the tank rusts out, you can go on for a long while.

As for what to buy, somewhat of a toss up, whichever one you prefer. While the main difference is the anode rod, you still get a longer warranty on the parts too. Sometimes the burner or the controls will also go out, and those would be covered with a 12 year warranty but by the time they go, it's not covered by the 6 year one.

https://www.amazon.com/Rheem-SP11526C-R-Tech-Magnesium-Anode/dp/B009AXFTRW

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Rheem-SP11526C-900-x-44-3-8-Magnesium-R-Tech-Anode-Rod

Obviously, it doesn't seem like many have had their water heater leak and run all over their basement floor. Mine lasted 20 years and then filled my basement with water because nobody was at home to shut the water off. Talking about a mess....
There was no rust. I drained it every year. The bottom split open.

I would definitely replace it. 25 years it has served the house well.

Now, my plumber who came and replaced my propane heater told me how their warranty worked. It you wanted the longer warranty, he had a roll of stickers that he would peel off one and stick it to the same heater he was installing. No difference in
the heaters whatsoever. He said you were merely buying an extended warranty. Now this was about 4 years ago so things may be different now.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Obviously, it doesn't seem like many have had their water heater leak and run all over their basement floor. Mine lasted 20 years and then filled my basement with water because nobody was at home to shut the water off. Talking about a mess....

Now, my plumber who came and replaced my propane heater told me how their warranty worked. It you wanted the longer warranty, he had a roll of stickers that he would peel off one and stick it to the same heater he was installing. No difference in
the heaters whatsoever. He said you were merely buying an extended warranty. Now this was about 4 years ago so things may be different now.

That's how all mine fail. But mine are concrete floors and there's basically nothing down there so nothing gets damaged when they leak. They normally don't blow out, usually it starts out as a small leak and you get a puddle of water in the basement. You could go nuts and install a gas and water shut off valve, basically you'd need a pan for the water heater and a sensor in the pan for water if it leaks and that connects to the gas/water shut off when water is detected.

The plumber may carry a brand that's basically a 12 year heater but is sold with 6, 9 or 12 year warranties. But if you buy the ones at Home Depot/Lowes, those really are cheaper 6, 9 or 12 year warranty water heaters with a smaller anode rod. Easier for a plumber to just carry one type of water heater than a store which can carry multiple types.

Wheather you keep the old Heater or replace it, I'd suggest you get a Water Alarm.
I have one on-top of my Water Heater and one on the floor / also, under any Sinks in the house.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Basement-Watchdog-Battery-Operated-Water-Alarm-BWD-HWA/100038838

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I'm on the 4th or 5th Got a 40 gallon Rheem set up for propane. Dirt floor in the utility dungeon. piped to unions on ball valves. IIRC there is only one fitting to sweat.Last one was an easy afternoon to replace.

Remember that changing the water heater now will result in energy saving lower gas bills. The new ones also have a lower nitrous oxide emission so they are supposedly better for the environment. Also the 9 year heater is the sweet spot for those units.

Last edited:
I have a Samsung SmartThings hub and a water detector under water heater and almost anything else in my home that could leak water. I will know on my cell phone in seconds.

Well I take back my previous comment....with that story plus existing rust on the surface and at the connections it's probably time.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Well I take back my previous comment....with that story plus existing rust on the surface and at the connections it's probably time.

Oh yeah, pretty much every time a water heater failed and rusted out leaking, the connections at the inlets were all corroded. The water heaters that were fine didn't have any corrosion on the inlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back