Top Oiling the New 2019 1.4 TSI VW Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have some leftover Lucas Top Cyl and Injector lube. Last week, The new snowblower seemed to want help and some top oil in that helped immensely. That had less then 10 hours on it.

On my new Jetta with a 6 speed manual, I unfortunately had a hard run, due to family emergency, into Boston under high -mid boost for an hours drive on the interstate at 75-95 MPH. On the way home late that night. the poor VW seemed to loose considerable power . The car only had 680 miles of careful break in at that point. The engine has felt weak ever since even thru some partial tanks of Sunoco Ultra. Before this the car would toss you back in the seat like a 350 Chevelle under boost in second gear.

Since this VW has a super high pressure D.I. fuel rail (way over 1000psi) .I thought a little top oil in the gas should have no problem getting atomised. I treated at 1/2 floz per gallon.

I'm half way through that tank and -surprise-.the engine seems to have regained its power. I didnt really expect the top oil to do anything, frankly.

Plan next week is to run this tank down to near reserve and refill with no top oil this time and see what it does.

Anyone else top oiling a Turbo or non turbo D.I engine? Thinking it aids compression and ring seal. IN my vivid imagination
smile.gif

Thanks, -Ken

Nice car..however with 0-60 around 7.7 secs.."Before this the car would toss you back in the seat like a 350 Chevelle under boost in second gear."...It seems you have been driving a non turbo Subie too long.....

Should have said tossed me onto my creeper as fast as any Ford ever built.

The MK7 Golf R I had with the 2.0L 292/280 accelerated nicely. Never tried the 1.4T. If you find that the 1.4T pushed you back you would probably like the R.

that 1.4L has surprising torque. 184 lb/ft. It was torture driving mine gently for 1000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tomcat27
that 1.4L has surprising torque. 184 lb/ft. It was torture driving mine gently for 1000 miles.

Yep, it's a sweet little engine. The 1.8T is even better.

Top oiling during breakin not a good idea? Seemed to help.
Originally Posted by tenderloin
Nice car..however with 0-60 around 7.7 secs.."Before this the car would toss you back in the seat like a 350 Chevelle under boost in second gear."...It seems you have been driving a non turbo Subie too long.....

Make that a NIssan Rogue cvt
smile.gif

On the Chevelle I meant a 4 speed MT with a breathed on 350. Maybe 300 HP.
I owned a healthy '67 396 SS with headers and mild performance cam and a 900cfm Cadillac Q-jet. . That just knocked the tires off if you got on it.

Originally Posted by tomcat27

Agreed. It says, "spool me up, Scotty! At least mine got almost to 700 miles before it got romped on for an hour on the interstate. Oil temp got to 220.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back