Mercedes w116 1979 300sd oil cooler lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
1979 300sd (w116) Mercedes

Having trouble with the lower oil cooler line and the orientation of one of the ends.

The oil cooler line fitting with the nut is not facing the oil cooler. The other end of the oil cooler line is properly positioned and loosely connected to the filter housing just to keep it in place before tightening.

I tried to rotate the end but it is not budging. I don't want to use a vise for fear that it will bend or break the end tubing.
My original oil cooler line does rotate at the end and this allows you to properly position the oil cooler line thread nut to the oil cooler threads.
You would think that the end of the oil cooler line would have to be adjustable and able to rotate to properly thread it to the oil cooler.

Not sure if I should force the end to rotate by using a vise and pliers.
The oil cooler line is an aftermarket part made by Trucktec.
Trucktec is currently the only one manufacturing the lower oil cooler line for my w116.

Is anyone on this forum familiar with these oil cooler lines?

Does it have a section of hose in the middle? It is common for third parties to improperly "clock" the hose crimps, leading to a situation where the hose would have to be twisted to fit the line on the car. Do not do that. You need to exchange it for one that is made properly or have the hose section redone.

Got pictures?

Is this the style with a flare + nut or is it something more complicated with an o-ring in there that allows you to orient it independently of nut torque?

It sounds like they goofed and you should call them on it.

I don't imagine this being too different than ATF or PS lines... or is it?

I goofed up. Chinese puzzle got me. Finally realized that I did not have the oil line correctly positioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back