Current Fiat 124 Spider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here have any experience with them? Specifically, the driving experience in comparison to other roughly similar cars recent past and present; Elise/Exige, Boxster, S2000, etc. How engaging are they? I am not really interested in reliability opinions, I have a good idea of that.

Looking through the specs, there is not much differentiating the trim levels and there isn't much in the way of performance options so I hope that what is there as a basis is pretty good.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Looking through the specs, there is not much differentiating the trim levels and there isn't much in the way of performance options so I hope that what is there as a basis is pretty good.
Girl's car.

savagegeese.com has a nice you tube on it. you are comparing to some cars that cost twice as much though!

Originally Posted by benjy
savagegeese.com has a nice you tube on it. you are comparing to some cars that cost twice as much though!

Agree, but that is what I've owned and/or driven on the track or otherwise. Thinking of something for the Summer place, but still want to enjoy it.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Girl's car.

Thought the same about the early Miata's, then I had an afternoon in one at Lime Rock...

Originally Posted by knerml
It is a Miata with a Fiat engine and styling

Exactly, only more fun to drive though a bit less reliable.

Originally Posted by knerml
It is a Miata with a Fiat engine and styling

..and different suspension tuning, which is what I am interested in. I haven't driven a late Miata, but expect it would be entertaining.

I loved it. A refined Miata with a raucous engine.

I have seriously considered ditching my Carrera for an Abarth and making it my "forever car."

I got a Lusso trim level 124 with a manual trans a year ago and love it, particularly the styling. The turbo is a hoot, as is the handling, with lots of aftermarket upgrades available. One would fit in your fleet very well. Prices are low, but so is resale, with many of us predicting Fiat pulling out of the U.S. soon due to dismal sales.
Peruse this forum for more info.... https://www.124spider.org/forum/

I had a Classica trim manual for 2 years, it's a fun little car that's engaging to drive. Very few are on the road making it unique. I had more strangers comment on how much they liked that car than anything else I've owned.

You should be able to pick one up for not a lot of money. I couldn't find much of a difference between the trim levels so bought the base with only the tech package as an option.

Biggest negative were the seats, they had no padding and were terribly uncomfortable. Maybe the higher trim levels include better seats or I'm sure there's some aftermarket options available.

Girl's car.

From a Jetta owner, this would be the pot calling the kettle black. Can't vouch for the new 124 Spiders, but I loved my '71.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Girl's car.

From a Jetta owner, this would be the pot calling the kettle black.

That was my first thought as well.
laugh.gif

Girl's car.

I always love it when an OP clearly asks for feedback on a specific vehicle, and for some reason, certain posters with absolutely no real-world experience, feel obligated to respond with opinion-only responses. Perfect!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by harbor

I always love it when an OP clearly asks for feedback on a specific vehicle, and for some reason, certain posters with absolutely no real-world experience, feel obligated to respond with opinion-only responses. Perfect!

Exactly. And the poster is almost always motivated by a "sour grapes" attitude.
That said, it seems that commenting on things you know absolutely nothing about has is becoming the SOP at BITOG- virgins writing sex manuals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back