Hyundai/Kia Reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by grampi
I guess I just don't understand the point of buying Kia/Hyundai. I could see people buying them in the past because they USED to be considerably less expensive than their Japanese counterparts, but now days they cost just as much, and from what I can tell, they aren't any better, and some still aren't as good. No thanks, I'll stick with the Japanese makes because I have no reason not to...

Comparing my base model 2017 Santa Fe SE to the base model Mazda CX-9, and the Hyundai gives you much more for the $$. I get a 290hp 3.3L V6, not a turbo 2.5L 4, I get a better interior, I didn't have to pay extra for wood trim...I get a better ride and handling.......

Ignorance is bliss. Why aren't there more happy people here?

The base model CX9 does not have the wood trim. That would be the top of the line Signature trim.

Hyundai makes great vehicles. However a bigger engine is not a good example of quality.

Isn't that what I said? The base model SE SF does have it, the base model CX-9 does not. You have to pay extra for it....

21.gif

Sorry, I would rather have a V6 vs an overworked turbo 4 with cylinder deactivation......

Originally Posted by PimTac
I guess I just don't understand the point of buying Kia/Hyundai. I could see people buying them in the past because they USED to be considerably less expensive than their Japanese counterparts, but now days they cost just as much, and from what I can tell, they aren't any better, and some still aren't as good. No thanks, I'll stick with the Japanese makes because I have no reason not to...

Comparing my base model 2017 Santa Fe SE to the base model Mazda CX-9, and the Hyundai gives you much more for the $$. I get a 290hp 3.3L V6, not a turbo 2.5L 4, I get a better interior, I didn't have to pay extra for wood trim...I get a better ride and handling.......

Ignorance is bliss. Why aren't there more happy people here?

The base model CX9 does not have the wood trim. That would be the top of the line Signature trim.

Hyundai makes great vehicles. However a bigger engine is not a good example of quality.

Isn't that what I said? The base model SE SF does have it, the base model CX-9 does not. You have to pay extra for it....

21.gif

Sorry, I would rather have a V6 vs an overworked turbo 4 with cylinder deactivation......

Yeah, and I would rather have a vehicle that'll last 300K-400K miles, whether I intend to keep it that long or not...THAT is the mark of a quality built vehicle...

Originally Posted by litesong
.... I could see people buying them in the past because they USED to be considerably less expensive than their Japanese counterparts, but now days they cost just as much...... I'll stick with the Japanese makes.....
Yes, Kia/Hyundai was cheaper in the past around the turn of the century. But, even in 2009, I saw TWO Hyundai Accents being sold for $14,000.....what a deal! Even our 2016 Elantra (best car we ever bought) was purchased EASILY for under $13,000. Recently, I saw a new 2018(19?) Elantra selling for under $11,000. With three decades of reliable Hyundia/Kia cars, low prices, long warranty, & good MPG, we love Hyundai/Kia. Saying that tho, it is wrong of Hyundai/Kia to stall on obvious needed repairs to their products.

I wouldn't say their vehicles have been reliable for 3 decades, not even close...it's just been within the last 10-15 years that they've approached the reliability of the likes of Toyota, Honda, Subaru, etc...

Originally Posted by litesong
.... I could see people buying them in the past because they USED to be considerably less expensive than their Japanese counterparts, but now days they cost just as much...... I'll stick with the Japanese makes.....
Yes, Kia/Hyundai was cheaper in the past around the turn of the century. But, even in 2009, I saw TWO Hyundai Accents being sold for $14,000.....what a deal! Even our 2016 Elantra (best car we ever bought) was purchased EASILY for under $13,000. Recently, I saw a new 2018(19?) Elantra selling for under $11,000. With three decades of reliable Hyundia/Kia cars, low prices, long warranty, & good MPG, we love Hyundai/Kia. Saying that tho, it is wrong of Hyundai/Kia to stall on obvious needed repairs to their products.

I wouldn't say their vehicles have been reliable for 3 decades, not even close...it's just been within the last 10-15 years that they've approached the reliability of the likes of Toyota, Honda, Subaru, etc...

True but some here are stuck in the 80's and 90's.

I saved $5,000.00 buying a Santa Fe XL-Limited (AWD) over the closest equivalent Toyota or Honda. Yes-$5,000.00

Yeah, and I would rather have a vehicle that'll last 300K-400K miles, whether I intend to keep it that long or not...THAT is the mark of a quality built vehicle...

What makes you think the Santa Fe won't last as long as the CX-9? Have you driven a Santa Fe? Or is this pure prejudiced against the old Hyundai/KIAs showing?

A member here had 500k miles on his SF......

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Hyundai horror-story update.

Haters gotta hate.

I bet the majority of Hyundai lovers reading this thread did not bother to read that linked article. It definitely sucks to be the owner of one of the non recalled vehicles that also have the defective engine. Luckily people were able to get covered by going public and getting it on the news.

There are many people drives Hyundai/KIA around me. From Co-workers to friends and family. None of them really had any issues. We are actually looking to get a KIA Sedona for our family vehicle. There is about 4k ~ 5k difference between Toyota/Honda Van vs KIA plus factory warranty . So its pretty easy pick.

Last edited:
I see more and more Hyundais and Kias on the roads today than ever before. The newer Sorrento and Santa Fe models are really popular in my neck of the woods. If they weren't reliable this would not be the case.

In particular the new Kia models are sharp looking.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Haters gotta hate.

I bet the majority of Hyundai lovers reading this thread did not bother to read that linked article. It definitely sucks to be the owner of one of the non recalled vehicles that also have the defective engine. Luckily people were able to get covered by going public and getting it on the news.

The best selling truck in America 1000 years running, right?

Yet..........

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/06/us/ford-f-150-recall/index.html

https://fox13now.com/2018/12/22/ford-recalling-410289-pickup-trucks-that-could-catch-fire/

https://www.autosafety.org/ford-cruise-control-deactivation-switch-recalls-and-history/

Haters gotta hate.

My 2006 Colorado with the 3.5L I-5 was not on the recall list for the valve seats. My serial number was deemed to have been 'fixed'. Well, at 114k miles, guess what.........

I am at 126K and my 3.5 is still going strong Brigs. No ticks, hammers, or squeaks. No puffs of blue smoke at cold startup either. I've only run top name-brand synthetics - never let it get one quart low - never hammer the gas pedal and change the oil before it gets dirty/ nasty. Expecting mine to live a long, normal life.

Last edited:

What makes you think the Santa Fe won't last as long as the CX-9? Have you driven a Santa Fe? Or is this pure prejudiced against the old Hyundai/KIAs showing?

A friend of mine owns a maintenance shop and works on all makes of vehicles and sees thousands of vehicles a month. He says he routinely sees Japanese makes with higher mileage than the Korean makes, or any of the other makes for that matter, and the Korean makes require more repairs. One SF going 500K is hardly a suitable sample size...

Originally Posted by meadows
They also discount a lot more than Toyota and Honda.

What you save on them up front you will pay out in repairs over the course of the entire ownership of the vehicle...

Haters gotta hate.

The best selling truck in America 1000 years running, right?

Yet..........

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/06/us/ford-f-150-recall/index.html

https://fox13now.com/2018/12/22/ford-recalling-410289-pickup-trucks-that-could-catch-fire/

https://www.autosafety.org/ford-cruise-control-deactivation-switch-recalls-and-history/

Exactly why the popularity of a vehicle isn't a good indicator of quality. I'm not an f150 fan though. I found them much more problematic than the other brands I saw come through the shop I worked at. There are always some people that have good luck with anything, especially if they take care of them. But the Ford's don't usually tolerate any lack of maintenance compared to a gm or a Toyota or something else.

A friend of mine owns a maintenance shop and works on all makes of vehicles and sees thousands of vehicles a month. He says he routinely sees Japanese makes with higher mileage than the Korean makes, or any of the other makes for that matter, and the Korean makes require more repairs. One SF going 500K is hardly a suitable sample size...

150K on mine. Nothing done to it but brakes, plugs, fluids and tires.

Originally Posted by meadows
They also discount a lot more than Toyota and Honda.

What you save on them up front you will pay out in repairs over the course of the entire ownership of the vehicle...

I saved $6k buying my Sonata over an Accord.

I could have the engine AND transmission replaced and still be ahead.

1 repair so far at 92k miles, a torn CV boot.

If you had to pay for it I doubt you could do an engine and transmission for that cheap. Possibly even going used. Motor replacements aren't as cheap as they used to be.

I'm not saying your choice wasn't better than choosing the accord. I would probably trust the transmission more in the Hyundai. Honda hasn't had the best record for automatics although that may be fixed by now. I believe they had some engine issues with some of the accord engines also. Timing chain issues on the 2.4 IIRC? Not as severe as rod bearings but I'm saying they can have problems also.

I'm just saying you are probably underestimating the cost of an engine or transmission replacement on a late model vehicles. Although there could be a surplus of engines in the scrap yard because most engines are being replaced through the recall so not too many people will be in the market for one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back