Gas mileage of a 1973 Ford LTD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have the records for our 72 Ford LTD 350W. We averaged 12 mpg during our family trip out West. Otherwise, we'd get 10-13 mpg.

Originally Posted by dishdude
That's a Sunday driver that you put 2k miles on a year because it's cool. Who cares if it gets 8 MPG.

This 100%. Who cares about mileage - that is a beautiful, old, nice-weather cruiser for outdoor car shows, etc...

Originally Posted by dishdude
That's a Sunday driver that you put 2k miles on a year because it's cool. Who cares if it gets 8 MPG.

The OP who started this thread to ask the question.

That green monster is Just in time for St. Paddy's Day!

I had a bronze 74 with a 429 interceptor. Ex Police Chief car. Certified speedo. 700 bucks. Engine Ate valve seals and they got jammed in the oil pump which sheared the roll pin on the dist gear.

Run away !

Very cool car!! Low miles but this car will require much attention compared to modern car. Spark plugs, distributor car, rotor, timing, carb adjustments and more. All fairly easy to work on and lots of room to get to everything. If you don't know likely youtube video will help.

My father-in-law had a nice condition cream yellow '76 LTD with a 460. We live an hours drive from my in-laws, and used the LTD once to get home when our car was at the dealer for repair. We used 3/4 of a tank for two hours driving. A big gas tank, so lots of $ at the time to refill it. I was surprised at just how thirsty it was..

Gas was around 35 cents a gallon in 73. During the 74 oil embargo it went to about 55 cents a gallon. People went crazy and gas lines stretched for blocks. I had just bought a new 72 Toyota Corolla 1.6 L 4 speed so I was golden for a few years.

Appreciate all the responses thus far. Yeah, I would have guessed around 10 MPG give or take.

It wouldn't be a daily, just a fun car. I do have a 1969 Valiant (Slant 6, no options), solid as all get out. Did a 125 mile trip recently. It's easy to work on, there's almost room to get in the engine bay and stand next to the engine. I do basic work, tune ups, etc myself. This LTD seems like a more upscale car from the time.

Chances are it'll get bid up more than I would want to pay anyway. I've been to this auction place before, and cosmetically nice older stuff tends to get attention. Not even sure I'll attend. I do dig the green color. It's got the look.

Last edited:
My first car was a 1975 Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 351W. It got 11 MPG. My Grandmother had a 1974 Ford Elite with a 400M and it got 10 MPG. Both were 2bbl carbs. If you get it, make sure the brakes are top notch, as these were horribly under braked for the weight of the cars are almost dangerous by modern standards.

Your mention of the Elite made me remember my '76 Elite with the 460, bought it new, had handling suspension, 2.75 axle, true dual exhaust, two cats.. It was severely strangled. After warranty was up, took it to a muffler shop where they gutted the cats and put on two "turbo mufflers" as they were called back then. One of the guys brought what looked like a large washer with a hole in it to me in the waiting area. It was 2 1/2" in diameter with about a 1 1/2 inch hole in the center. He said it was in the front pipe of each converter. On the drive home it had a definite difference in sound and response. My mileage before and after this modification was the same, 14, maybe 16 on a good day. Speed limits were lower, rarely did more than 65 mpg.

My parents had a 1977 LTD II with a 351 W. I have no idea on the milage but I remember my dad saying it'd pass everything but a gas station so I'm guessing it wasn't good. That car was pretty nice though. Power everything and tons of room.

Originally Posted by ArtDecoWorld
What would something like this return in gas mileage (city/highway)? I don't expect it's much, just curious. I used the vin to try and lookup the engine. They have a 5 posted in what appears to be the engine position, which doesn't seem to correspond to anything, but an 'S' is a 400. So, I assume that's what they meant.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/d/redwood-city-1973-ford-ltd-low-miles/6836057188.html

VIN: 3J675223892

http://www.tpocr.com/fordvin13.html

By the standards of even five years later, these cars suck in every way.
Poor fuel economy, really poor drivability, limited braking ability, really bad handling with heavy understeer as well as limited suspension travel combined with very soft springs resulting in an uncomfortable ride on all but straight, pool table smooth roads.
But you already know all of this.
For a fair weather cruiser or even occasional daily use car in nice weather, this old Ford would be fun to have.
I'd pay under 5K tops, but I suspect that this old survivor will go for close to double that figure.
As a ten year old car back in the eighties, this would have been maybe a grand piece since nobody would have wanted it however nice it might have been.
OTOH, these cars were a dime a dozen back then and not many have survived to this day.
It does look good in the photos, although I can guarantee you that it won't look as good up close and personal.
Several years ago, a Silver Shadow of similar miles and age (think it was a '74) was auctioned locally.
Wife asked if I wanted to go. Thought of all of the potential (no, guaranteed) issues and said no. Don't recall what the old Roller went for, but it was too much.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Single digits I assume. 1973 would have a pellet type catalytic converter, parasitic early smog controls and possibly non-transistorized ignition? 400 CI so it would be even worse than a more modern 5.7 or 5.0 SBC or SBF.

Points, condenser ignition and probably too early for a pellet cat, the first time I saw one was 1975, they may have used them in CA in 75. Engines available those years were 302, 351, 400, 429 or 460 CI. Mpg was about 12 for the 302 and 9-10 for the 429 and 460.

My Dad used to get a brand new Ford LTD every year as a company car; he was an insurance bonds salesman.

Back during the California drought, we drove to the bottom of lake Edison in a new 1977 LTD. Those cars were built like tanks.

Here are some pics of my Valiant from a road/day trip. Options are a slant 6 and an AM radio (original, and works). Oh yeah, it also has a heater. Cruises right along and turns 50 this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:

Chances are it'll get bid up more than I would want to pay anyway. I've been to this auction place before, and cosmetically nice older stuff tends to get attention. Not even sure I'll attend. I do dig the green color. It's got the look.

I started bidding at a Texas farm auction on a cherry 1972 F100 with a 390 and 4 speed (2wd) XLT edition.
I think it had 72,000 miles and looked near new - - - very well kept. Factory air conditioning.
I stopped bidding at $2400, I think it went for almost $8K!
The old farmer was floored - - he said he would've been surprised if it went over $1000.

Originally Posted by Linctex

I started bidding at a Texas farm auction on a cherry 1972 F100 with a 390 and 4 speed (2wd) XLT edition.
I think it had 72,000 miles and looked near new - - - very well kept. Factory air conditioning.
I stopped bidding at $2400, I think it went for almost $8K!
The old farmer was floored - - he said he would've been surprised if it went over $1000.

How long ago. Old trucks are starting to really go up. You can drop $8k pretty easy on a decent square Chevy these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back