Mobil 1 5W20, 31449 miles, 2000 Ford V10 Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest report on my V10 Triton with a total of 194,400 miles. Since the last report I changed out 3 MotorGuard bypass rolls requiring 3 quarts of top up oil using Mobil 1 10W30. Truck has a mix of city/hwy and some towing.

Excursion2.jpg

Originally Posted by dave1251
It looks pretty good 10 quarts over 21K correct?

My math says 10 qts "top up" over 16,449 miles - that is a lot.

Me thinks the motorguard change is happening too often.

It's 10 quarts over 16,449 including 2 full flow filters and the initial setup, which was a full flow filter, oil sample and 2 quarts top up. I've extended the full flow filter changes to 10,000 miles and the most I can get out of a MotorGuard filter is about 2200 miles before it's totally plugged. As time progresses the averages with full flow and MotorGuard filter changes is approximately one quart every 1700 miles. I was expecting this to improve over time, but the V10 continues to plug the bypass 2000-2500 miles.

Originally Posted by Linctex

My math says 10 qts "top up" over 16,449 miles - that is a lot.

Me thinks the motorguard change is happening too often.

Correct, but the MotorGuard is only changed when it stops flowing oil. It's cold at 1500 miles and totally stops flowing at 2000-2200.

Originally Posted by A310

It's 10 quarts over 16,449 including 2 full flow filters and the initial setup, which was a full flow filter, oil sample and 2 quarts top up. I've extended the full flow filter changes to 10,000 miles and the most I can get out of a MotorGuard filter is about 2200 miles before it's totally plugged. As time progresses the averages with full flow and MotorGuard filter changes is approximately one quart every 1700 miles. I was expecting this to improve over time, but the V10 continues to plug the bypass 2000-2500 miles.

I'm surprised your bypass rolls are still plugging so fast after all the rolls you've put through it. My 4Runner bypass is still too hot to touch after only 10-15 minutes of run time and about 2300 miles on the element. On the bright side of the frequent bypass changes, a full oil change should never be required. Bypass and top off every 2,000 miles is an infinite oil change interval based on the data thus far.

Hope all is well!

Cheers.

On that lab report from Blackstone, it looks as if you're going 6,000 miles between oil changes based on your previous oil changes? Did they fill that out wrong or something? And it looks like - if that's the same vehicle - you're using a different oil every time based on the moly levels...are you sending in samples every 6,000 miles on one oil change and the moly just looks different each time because of the make up oil you are adding?

Guessing from the viscosity numbers that this isn't 5W20, right? Still pretty impressive, but it's almost like a continuous oil change with swapping the bypass & adding 3 quarts. What is the sump & full flow capacity (not including the bypass & plumbing)?

I've been following this since he purchased the vehicle. When purchased he was told that it had been previously serviced with M1 5w20. He added the bypass setup, did not change the oil and only topped off whenever he changed the bypass element. He actually topped off with M1 I believe 5w20 at first then transitioned to 5w30 and 10w3p M1 as time went on. That explains the viscosity and the shifting add pack. There was a general consensus that the original fill was not M1 judging by the add pack. The most recent sample looks more like M1 than previous samples.

It takes roughly a quart to top off for a bypass element change. Which he's changing every 2,000 to 2500 miles. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't actually ever drained the sump and refilled. Only added the bypass and changed bypass elements and full flow filters and topped off as required.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted by A310

I'm surprised your bypass rolls are still plugging so fast after all the rolls you've put through it. My 4Runner bypass is still too hot to touch after only 10-15 minutes of run time and about 2300 miles on the element. On the bright side of the frequent bypass changes, a full oil change should never be required. Bypass and top off every 2,000 miles is an infinite oil change interval based on the data thus far.

Hope all is well!

Cheers.

True, I'm still not sure why it's plugging the filters so fast. When I first put this bypass on, I was assuming that it was because of the dirty engine from lack of oil changes from the previous owner. As time passed and more filters were changed I expected the time between filter changes to increase. That just has not happened on this engine, although the initial high metals have come down and stabilized, this filters continue to plug at around the 2000 mark. I was considering putting another MotorGuard in parallel and seeing if the reduced flow through the rolls would improve both the particle count and the filter change interval. At this point I'm too busy on my Detroit project to work on the Excursion, but maybe in the future I might do that and see if it improves the system.
Take care.:)

Originally Posted by Railrust
On that lab report from Blackstone, it looks as if you're going 6,000 miles between oil changes based on your previous oil changes? Did they fill that out wrong or something? And it looks like - if that's the same vehicle - you're using a different oil every time based on the moly levels...are you sending in samples every 6,000 miles on one oil change and the moly just looks different each time because of the make up oil you are adding?

These samples are without oil changes, just full flow every 10,000 miles and a MotorGuard bypass filter change every 2000 miles. I sample the oil around twice a year to check up on the health of the oil. The Moly levels have changed through the period I've owned the truck, and that's probably due to me adding 1 quart Rotella 15W40 when I've run out of Mobil1. I did mention this to Blackstone in previous samples where the viscosity has changed. In this sample I changed my oil Mobil 1 5W30 to 10W30 and am guilty of adding a quart of Pennzoil 5W30 in the 6000 miles. In most part it gets a steady diet of Mobil 1, but when I run out it gets a quart of either my Shell Rotella 15W40, or my wifes Pennzoil 5W30.:) until I get more Mobil 1. That's probably why the Moly is changing.:)

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Guessing from the viscosity numbers that this isn't 5W20, right? Still pretty impressive, but it's almost like a continuous oil change with swapping the bypass & adding 3 quarts. What is the sump & full flow capacity (not including the bypass & plumbing)?

True, it's 10W30 for the most part, as that's what I've been adding for the last 6000 miles. I did make a note to blackstone that I changed top up oil from 5W30 to 10W30 incase there was a spike in viscosity. From there notes it doesn't change the numbers much, which is reflected in the report. Your correct, it's really a continues oil change every 2000 miles changing a bypass roll and adding a quart. I believe the sump is 6-7 quarts and the full flow 1/2 quart, I would guess the total capacity of the system is about 7-8 quarts with the full flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back