17' 4RUNNER 75w90 Synthetic or Conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAP has Valvoline SynPower 75W90 on sale right now for $10.49. Not cheap, but not a bad deal for a good brand. It is normally $12.99-$13.99 different places.

Amsoil SVG is the best in the market and priced appropriately.
M1 is a standout gear fluid used by almost all who haven't heard Amsoil/Redline.

Others are far behind!!

has anyone ever heard about the stories saying conventional gear oils will actually have cooler ring and pinon temps compared to synthetics? and a lot of large diff manufactures only recommend DINO gear oil ?

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
has anyone ever heard about the stories saying conventional gear oils will actually have cooler ring and pinon temps compared to synthetics? and a lot of large diff manufactures only recommend DINO gear oil ?

I've heard it a few times but never saw (or looked much) for any backing data. With that said, the Tundra in my sig gets Castrol 80w90 conventional evey 50 and it's closing on 200k, needs LSD additive but that's easy. My Mercedes has 85w90 OE speced diff oil in it as well and that's also conventional from what I can tell.

With the LSD Tundras of this vintage Toyota recommends conventional in the rear diff, it's worked well so fat, but changing it even once with something meeting the minimum spec is far better than most will ever do anyway

Last edited:
if for say i was to run a conventional gear oil what would you guys recommend?

i can get white bottle 75w90 valvoline dino gear oil
not sure there are any other 75w90 dino gear oils out there

or just get some 80w90? lmk thanks

Are you sure the 75w90 isn't syn?

Your truck probably came factory filled with the same expensive 75w85 syn Toyota liquid gold my Rx and GX have, but the GX t-case uses an even more expensive 75w which yours likely specs as well, the RX has the same in the rear diff and t-case.

You can just get OEM Toyota cans for $30ish per and more like $70 per for 75w but at least that way you don't have to worry about compatibility, that's what I did and with 50k intervals the cost is super negligible

Last edited:
This was the 75w90 i was talking about. Which is non synthetic

[Linked Image]

Interesting, well I've used Valvoline syn in my old 4th gen 4runner and it was just fine, they seem to make a fine product so I'd use their conventional diff oil without fear

I was watching a video from some guys who own a rear end rebuild/set up shop, and believe it or not they said that they prefer conventional over synthetic gear fluids. Which I found to be surprising, but interesting. The guy opened up a diff, started rotating the gears and explained Synthetic flows a little too well and that as the ring gear goes through the fluid, it throws the oil off the gears...and that the Synthetic gets thrown off a little too easily...that the conventional tends to "stick to them" a little better. The fluid may not last as long but it adheres to quickly moving gears better. Found that kind of interesting. And they weren't selling any fluid, believe me, this was just an instructional video on open diffs vs limited slip. The guys were very informative...talked about different size tires and how the effect the spider gears, etc.

Last edited:
yep ive heard the same type of thing, and there are supposedly a lot of large diff/gear axle manufacturers who recommend conventional only and will actually void warranty if synthetic is used

Originally Posted by Railrust
I was watching a video from some guys who own a rear end rebuild/set up shop, and believe it or not they said that they prefer conventional over synthetic gear fluids. Which I found to be surprising, but interesting. The guy opened up a diff, started rotating the gears and explained Synthetic flows a little too well and that as the ring gear goes through the fluid, it throws the oil off the gears...and that the Synthetic gets thrown off a little too easily...that the conventional tends to "stick to them" a little better. The fluid may not last as long but it adheres to quickly moving gears better. Found that kind of interesting. And they weren't selling any fluid, believe me, this was just an instructional video on open diffs vs limited slip. The guys were very informative...talked about different size tires and how the effect the spider gears, etc.

All the differentials and transmissions that come in semi trucks these days are factory filled with syn oils . That being said I understand the clinging part of the discussion..

also would it really be worth spending the extra money on syn gear lubes esp if someone were to change them out every 15k miles or so? i know a lot of truck guys who are anal and change the fluid this often

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
yep ive heard the same type of thing, and there are supposedly a lot of large diff/gear axle manufacturers who recommend conventional only and will actually void warranty if synthetic is used

but then again i also believe this is because of the type of lsd they were using in their builds. but not 100% sure

Last edited:
Your truck is facotry filled with syn, and unless you're regularly submerging the axles in deep water 15k is like changing your oil every 3k with syn. 50k is a good number whether syn or dino IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back