Best Brand of Gasoline

Anyone have a favorite brand of gasoline they buy over any other brand when available ?

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Yeah, whatever gasbuddy tells me is the cheapest. In my area it happens to be Costco.
Gasoline is a commodity, no reason to be brand loyal, unless you have some sort of rewards program.

This. However, clean, well illuminated, and high volume are other qualities I look for.

I live about 20 miles from a huge pipeline and storage
facility and have a couple of buddy's that work there
Your right they don't have a lot of anything good to say
about today's gasoline

Shell or Chevron 93 octane is my first choice, Conoco and Phillips66 highest octane offerings are also good. Equally important to the brand is to choose a station that sells enough premium gas (or whatever you are purchasing) per month that the stuff in their tanks isn't stale though and their tanks are leaky.

Your the second person that claims good results from
ConocoPhillips
Read an forum not long ago where a guy travel across country and tried different brands along the way
Chevron and ConocoPhillips resulted in the best mpg

The answer may vary considerably depending on the supply situation where you are located. Some brands are clearly identifiable based source/refinery relationships in our market, may not be in your particular market.

I used to buy Superamerica. It was top tier, I got nice discounts using their rewards cards, and my truck indicated that the fuel was of a higher apparent octane based on the Octane Adjustment Ration (OAR) that Ford uses in its engine management strategy for the Ecoboosts. Fuel came from the refinery in St. Paul Park.

Fast forward, and now Superamerica is Speedway, and Marathon is back to running the refinery. Fuel is no longer top tier, so I've stopped buying there.

There isn't. You'll have to find out what your car likes best. I find I get better mileage on Chevron and Costco. I've recently run a tank of Arco and I just eked out 36MPG but I was also running the defroster quite a bit and it was cold in the Bay Area. A friend says he sees no difference between Chevron and Arco.

I just drove up from SW Florida via Charlotte NC (75 to 4 to 95 to 26 to 77 to 81 to 78 to 278)…...I used Shell almost exclusively while in Florida because the 'Rewards' card gave me a 5c discount.....While driving up 81 I filled up with a tank of Exxon and my mileage went up by almost 2 MPG. (I was showing 29ish with the Shell vs. 31ish with the Exxon....this is with a 2016 Escape 2.5 NA averaging about 75 MPH (with bursts up to over 85-90ish occasionally to pass).

I've liked Exxon since seeing a story that they had the highest detergent when tested.....I also felt that Chevron ran smooth...I also put a few tanks of off brands like Pilot or Flying J based on price/circumstance. On the drive down after Christmas, when gas was very cheap, I splurged and filled up with a tank of Shell 93 (it was actually more like 2/3 tank because of the residual of regular)....I noticed no difference in mileage or performance....

PS: I find that my MPG indicator is optimistic by about 1 to 2 MPG.....in other words when it states 30 I usually get 28 to 29 when calculated manually (dividing miles by gallons refilled).

I to buy a lot of Shell because of the reward points
Always .05 cents off but .10 cents with my Kroger fuel
Rewards when I spend $100 bucks

I had an 86 Pontiac 6000 with a Tech 4 engine that would gets the best fuel economy on Shell Regular seeing an increase of 4 mpg over any other fuel including their premium or mid grade back in the day. Car ran fine on any brand but the Shell Regular consistently gave 4 mpg higher. To this day I have never seen other fuels do similar in any other car including Shell regular in other vehicles. it really liked that fuel for some reason.

Back