What was your kid's 1st car and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If things go to plan, daughter will get my 06 Accord, then Daddy's looking for a used, 2017 Accord Coupe, V6 EX-L in red or black, AT.

My son's first car was a 2002 Subaru Outback wagon in that common two-tone green color. It was handed down to him from his grandparents and he had it for about 2 years until one of the ball joints went on it.

My daughter's first car was a 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 sedan. We got a good deal on it and it was a pretty good safe car. Sold it after 3 years for pretty much same price we paid. I remember when my daughter first started driving, she came out of a parking lot and failed to unwind the wheel quickly enough and went flying up a big curb. I was very surprised it didn't damage the wheel; although we did have to replace the tire.

The first two shared a well used 2002 Camry when they started driving in 2009. It was oilBabe's and she moved up to the 2010 Altima in December of 2009. My daughter drove the 1999 Grand Marquis we got from my Grandmother when she stopped driving 4 years ago.

Still have the 99 MGM. We got rid of the Camry in 2016 with 277k miles on the ticker.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Daughter 2004 RX 330-Safe Reliable, saved her life in a wreck

Son 2010 Avalanche. Safe, Decently reliable, and he needed it for a college DD and use as a truck.

My son started saving for his first car when he was 14 years old, he put away about 90% of every paycheck into a separate account just for that purpose. His goal was to get a Subaru WRX and last year before he even got his full license he found a 2002 WRX and bought it. He loves that car and is involved in a big Subaru club that has get togethers a few times a month.

IMG_5692.JPG

I bought myself a 1984 Mazda 626 when I was 16 in 1992. Paid $115. Needed a water pump and CV shaft, which I tried (and failed) to do myself. 25 years later I try to pay cash for cars and only outsource mechanical work I can't do myself (alignments). I invest into the markets what other people probably spend on car payments. I'm my Dad's kid I guess.

Snot green '79 Volvo 242. With that engine I knew he'd never be racing it, and with that color, I knew he'd never get a girl in the back seat with him.
No racing tickets, and no early grandkids, so it worked.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Snot green '79 Volvo 242. With that engine I knew he'd never be racing it, and with that color, I knew he'd never get a girl in the back seat with him.
No racing tickets, and no early grandkids, so it worked.

Not wanting him to drive fast I understand, but not wanting him to get laid, that's just downright mean!!

Got a used 1997, 1999 and 2001 Cavalier with the push rod 2.2 engine for my three kids as their first car. Dirt cheap on the used market and would not win any beauty prizes for the crap interior quality but were mechanically reliable and easy to work on. All took the abuse a first time teenage driver would throw on one.

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
Originally Posted by Linctex
My first car was a 1963 Chevy Impala 4 door, 230cube-6, three-on-the-tree with OD.

i paid $300

My parents have never purchased a vehicle for me or any of my siblings.

I never had a vehicle bought for me either. I was told if I wanted a vehicle, to get a job and save and buy it myself. Simple as that.

Same here and I totally agree! If a kid wants a car,he/she needs to get a job and buy what they can afford.

My kids first car was my old 2009 Corolla it had 243,000 miles on the odometer...but he bought it from me, it wasn't given.

Why 2009 Corolla:

1) I bought it new and maintained it, I know its history better than anyone. Mechanically it runs darn near the same as the day I got it in every aspect.
2) I know it is extremely, ridiculously reliable...it will go for another couple of hundred thousand miles.
3) Insurance for him is very low cost.

Last edited:
Used Chevy single cab work truck … V6 … did not want him to haul 6 screaming teens around …

So much for that … When he totaled it on a telephone pole … it was him and 3 more in the front seat …I had turned the passenger airbags back on the day before … the riders had no seatbelts on … nobody was seriously hurt !
(Knot on one knot head)
Took seven months to replace that truck …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Used Chevy single cab work truck … V6 … did not want him to haul 6 screaming teens around …

So much for that … When he totaled it on a telephone pole … it was him and 3 more in the front seat …I had turned the passenger airbags back on the day before … the riders had no seatbelts on … nobody was seriously hurt !
(Knot on one knot head)
Took seven months to replace that truck …

crazy2.gif

...so no seat belts being used, overloading a vehicle, loss of vehicle control from unexplained variables. Those are some very poorly made but nonetheless adult decisions that could've ended very badly.

Sounds like a teaching moment to buy his own wheels next time around. Hopefully he had his own insurance...

Last edited:
My kids' first car is a BMW.

[Linked Image]

Haha. Both of my daughters are under the age of 3 and I have sometime left before they get real cars. They will get whatever leftover car my wife and I have at that time.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, just depends on how you look at it, my parents did not buy me a vehicle. A 9 year old 1987 Ford Ranger, 2.9l 5 Speed 2wd 103k was my first vehicle. I worked and purchased it myself, paid insurance and taxes and repairs on it. I paid 1300.00 for it and did most of the repairs on it myself. I thought I was doing good at the time, buying a vehicle that was under 10 years old. Lol.

When I turned 16 and could get my first real job I bagged groceries and pushed shopping carts. I worked 30 hours a week minimum that summer until School started up, then I worked 16-22 hours a week. I still have my first pay stub for 40.xx dollars, Which was for 2 4 hour shifts of training IIRC. This is a sobering reminder of where I came from and where I am now. If I am working OT now I can earn 40 dollars in less than an hour.

I usually worked Sundays 0530-1330 or 0600 to 1400 since I was one of the few that seemed to reliably show up at that time. Saturdays varied. and 3 to 4 hours on some school nights.

Some of the vehicles mentioned on here as well as some of the ones seen in the local high school parking lot are nicer than what I drive now.

Unfortunately I feel that the energy that went into working so much took away from my focus on schooling. Maybe I just use that as an excuse. I feel if I had been raised in different circumstances I could have gone much further in life, but my parents did the best the knew how, as did I. I could be a [censored] of a lot better off right now, but I could be a lot worse off now also.

I suppose am doing amazing things for a High school Graduate that dropped out of community college (which I also paid for).

A used Mustang. It is a great first car for my kid. He got it when he went to college. It is a reliable transportation and costs less in insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back