Lawn mower battery replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have notice the riding lawn mower turns slower this past 2 months. At first I chalked
it up to the cold. But the other day completely dead. I did jump start and it ran in. Battery is a 4 years old
so I did get good life out it. I went to my local Walmart none in stock. I checked their web site out of stock.
Maybe the China trade war? Any way I see Homedepot has my battery so I will go get one next time I am in the area.
Better not wait too long. Grass season is here.

I got 14 years out of a U-1 battery, but I kept it on a BatteryMinder charger when parked. A maintainer is just as important as the battery.

If you can wait for W*M to get more in stock, I'd wait as their prices are cheaper than most providing you can start up you rider with the Pull Cord???

However(in addition), I alway bring my old battery to AAP across he street as they give you more money for bring in a dead/old battery than W*M does for a core charge. It i$n't much but it'$ something.

My W*M only give ~$5 for the old battery and AAP give $10...just saying!

Its time for a new one. Unless you use a battery maintainer when mower is not being used they do not last all that long.

I would just make sure to get a fresh one. Not one thats been on the shelves for many months.

Walmart wants $22 while HD wants about $30.I hate throwing money away but for the $8 saves me time.
No pull start and jumping it off with another battery gets old quick.
I think I just get the HD battery. I am passing this on in case you are looking for a battery.

Last edited:
AAP=AdvanceAutoParts
AZ=AutoZone
W*M=Walmart*

Oh absolutely! Definitely save time. I mean for $8, you'd be running around trying to save very little.
smirk.gif

I actually have a W*M, AZ, & AAP all in the same area of my travel. The AZ is actually in the same shopping plaza as W*M and AAP is directly across the street. So, when I pull out of the AZ/W*M plaza, I can actually drive straight into the AAP parking lot. So, I buy the battery at W*M and drive into the parking lot of AAP and get more money(core charge) for my dead battery on the way home.
laugh.gif

AAP is the only auto parts store that I am aware of that'll give you a $10(in NY State) for any dead/old battery w/o having to buy a battery from them. Other areas get $20. So, I just play the game.

My local WalMarts never have lawn batteries in stock until at least April it seems. The Home Depot batteries used to be Interstate, not sure what they are now. I got 8 years out of an Interstate 340cc lawn battery in my garden tractor, but it also gets used year round. I replaced it with an AutoCraft from Advance.

My latest WM lawn tractor battery lasted 2 only years. Thought I would get similar results as the car battery which has been great. Must be different guts, or the tractor has parasitic drain somewhere. Because WM batteries don't last in that tractor. Removed, placed on a trickle charger all winter didn't help.

Originally Posted by pcoxe
I got 14 years out of a U-1 battery, but I kept it on a BatteryMinder charger when parked. A maintainer is just as important as the battery.

^ This.

Unless you use it several times per week, you need to keep a trickle charger on it if you want to get any length of time out of these little OPE batteries. The one in my Craftsman riding mower is from 2009. I keep a $5 harbor freight tools trickle charger on it only for the off season, which is a good 5-6 months out of the year.

The maintainer is the secret!!!

Originally Posted by JTK

^ This.

Unless you use it several times per week, you need to keep a trickle charger on it if you want to get any length of time out of these little OPE batteries. The one in my Craftsman riding mower is from 2009. I keep a $5 harbor freight tools trickle charger on it only for the off season, which is a good 5-6 months out of the year.

Thats what I have. 2013 Craftsman 50". Its too far to the shed for electricity. Guess i need to use the battery tender jr more.

Place where I kept my boat killed the power after a battery charger fire …
… they were very "take it or leave it" about it … but added some good security lights … Ok, fine

That's also when I quit doing that and just give them 8 hours (while in plain site) once in while …
Also put disconnects on the boats (Perko switch) … reckon that might help a mower ?

My current DieHard is a 2014 … cranks strong

Mowers that use the battery only for starting usually have an unregulated charging system. In a typical usage cycle of one crank for 3 seconds then mow for an hour, it will overcharge severely. Also there is a lot of vibration on a mower.

They may fail today, but I have 2 Walmarts that are a little over 6 years old. I do occasionally put them on a battery tender.

The thing to know is, a new lawn mower comes with the cheapest lowest CCA batteries out there. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a U1-300. Keep the battery hooked up to a battery tender, while not in use.

Originally Posted by mk378
Mowers that use the battery only for starting usually have an unregulated charging system. In a typical usage cycle of one crank for 3 seconds then mow for an hour, it will overcharge severely. Also there is a lot of vibration on a mower.

Older, cheaper and smaller tractors are like you said.
Higher grade tractors with 2 cylinder engines have a voltage regulators.

My 2¢

This is the secret, year round.

Originally Posted by mk378

If it is overcharging, the battery will need topping off frequently. Most have removable caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back