Here it is, first Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 VOA

As promised...

RGT 5w30.JPG

Hmmm. It appears to be an SN+, dexos1g2 add pack. Groundbreaking.

Thank you for posting and taking the time to send out the VOA's.

I think the verdict is: run this or literally any other name brand synthetic in your truck/car with confidence.

Thanks! Looks good except for TBN, but not sure how important that really is.

On the basis of LSPI, isn't calcium high for this application? I feel like the marketing is for newer engines which include a lot of gas turbo DI and high calcium is not good for quenching LSPI?

Originally Posted by Env1ous
On the basis of LSPI, isn't calcium high for this application? I feel like the marketing is for newer engines which include a lot of gas turbo DI and high calcium is not good for quenching LSPI?

If exhibiting LSPI symptoms, then I would consider lower Calcium and increased Magnesium, along with increased octane at the gas pumps. Otherwise, this is fine for unaffected TDGIs.
Nice slugs of Boron and Moly present. But if I had LSPI, I'd try-out Castrol Edge black bottle in 5w30. Something like 900 Calcium and 1500 Magnesium, with a pinch of Titanium and almost as much Boron and Moly.

BTW.... Castrol Edge Gold just improved itself to 20K OCIs. But if I were not going to run Platinum Pennzoil in my GDI, I'd be running the Castrol Black Edge.

VOA..... https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...a-castrol-edge-5w-30-d1-gen2#Post4761510

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Env1ous

If exhibiting LSPI symptoms, then I would consider lower Calcium and increased Magnesium, along with increased octane at the gas pumps. Otherwise, this is fine for unaffected TDGIs.
Nice slugs of Boron and Moly present. But if I had LSPI, I'd try-out Castrol Edge black bottle in 5w30. Something like 800 Calcium and 1300 Magnesium, with a pinch of Titanium and almost as much Boron and Moly.

Castrol Edge Gold just improved itself to 20K OCIs. If I weren't going to run Platinum Pennzoil in my GDI, I'd be running the Castrol Black Edge.

VOA..... https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...a-castrol-edge-5w-30-d1-gen2#Post4761510

Awesome! Great info! I do not have any LSPI but more of a question stemmed from curiosity. Thank you for such a great answer
smile.gif

I am not an oil guru ENV1. But I have been studying TDGIs / GDIs / LSPI,..... ever since I just recently bought a new one. I like Edge and had-it-not been for the recent Pennzoil rebates, I would be running Edge first, instead of Platinum.

But I'm not knockin' Quaker Ste, Mobil-1, Pennzoil and Valvoline...... no sirreee. They are all good. I just like Edge better, without paying more for Edge Gold, Mobil-1 EP..... etc. Not gonna' happen with my intended 5K OCIs. Only oils I avoid are house brand names. Rather spend $3-6 more per five quart jug, but not $10 more for 5k OCIs.

Same with filters. Fram Extra Guard or OEM Hyundai filters for me. When Hyundai or Fram filters exceed current $5.99, I'll shop elsewhere. Hyundai engines like improved flow and I can find those, without spending too much for a measely 5K OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I am not an oil guru ENV1. But I have been studying TDGIs / GDIs / LSPI,..... ever since I just recently bought a new one. I like Edge and had-it-not been for the recent Pennzoil rebates, I wold be running Edge instead of Platinum.

But I'm not knockin' Quaker Ste, Mobil-1 and Valvoline...... no sirreee.

Exactly! Im in the same boat as you. Just curious. I have a small inkling that some of the holes in the block are due to lspi in the 3.5 ecoboosts. Not much info. But LSPI could definitely be something since there is no cause stated.

I am looking at this RGT oil, it does look good. I looked up other VOAs and calcium is in the upper 2,000s in some. So it is lower. I am also looking at the 5w40 mobil turbo diesel oil and amsoil 0w40.

Until you exhibit LSPI or exhibit nasty looking dipsticks, just buy your favorite SN Plus / Dexos1/Gen2 and top-tier fuel.
Once you exhibit any of these, then start a new thread asking for help to eliminate it.

Don't fix something that ain't broke yet - or showing any symptoms yet. Using good fuel and the proper oils may turn out to be plenty-good for years ahead.

Last edited:
There is a much simpler fix for LSPI that EPA and car manufacturers don't want you to know about, because they negatively impact the CAFE mandated mileage results.

If you have a "manumatic" shifter and are driving low speeds with heavy loading and boost, click it over and grab a lower gear to keep the RPMs up. If you have a CVT with paddle shifters you can do the same things.

Last option is a little tougher these days: simply refuse to buy a car with a TGDI engine and stick to N/A gas or a turbo diesel. If the TGDIs aren't selling they can't positively impact CAFE numbers at the expense of consumer displeasure.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
There is a much simpler fix for LSPI that EPA and car manufacturers don't want you to know about, because they negatively impact the CAFE mandated mileage results.

If you have a "manumatic" shifter and are driving low speeds with heavy loading and boost, click it over and grab a lower gear to keep the RPMs up. If you have a CVT with paddle shifters you can do the same things.

Last option is a little tougher these days: simply refuse to buy a car with a TGDI engine and stick to N/A gas or a turbo diesel. If the TGDIs aren't selling they can't positively impact CAFE numbers at the expense of consumer displeasure.

Yup, When I get on it I make sure I get into a higher rpm. I do have the select shift and use that when I need to. Otherwise my tune does a pretty good job of keeping it from bogging down! The only time I have an issue is climbing steep mountains the truck wants to make all of its power at 2krpm and use high boost but then I just lock out 6th gear and it knows what to do lol

Thanks for doing these Subie.

The question I have, based on another current thread here is which base oils is Shell using for this oil?

The world wonders.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Thanks for doing these Subie.

The question I have, based on another current thread here is which base oils is Shell using for this oil?

The world wonders.

According to the SDS, whatever they feel like.

That makes sense to me. As for TBN, if one is looking for a high TBN product, the one I'm running is somewhere around 11, but we need to watch testing methodology.

Originally Posted by Garak

That makes sense to me. As for TBN, if one is looking for a high TBN product, the one I'm running is somewhere around 11, but we need to watch testing methodology.

This is what I do as well. A easier option is to click into Sport Mode.

Well, it looks like a perfectly normal oil that won't be worth a price premium, but also will be a good buy if it's on sale.

I suppose that's pretty much to be expected, really.

Garak , do you know of a correlation of a new oil tested using the used oil protocol to relate this?

Not offhand, at least in a scientific way, other than a general indication to add say 2 to it. In either case, I wouldn't worry terribly much. You get a baseline and you go with it. It might matter for those who want to set an interval to a certain percentage of VOA TBN, but beyond that, I see no real concern.

Back