Early oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am putting a used engine in my truck that has been disassembled and cleaned with all new gaskets. Should i do an early oil change? If so what mileage? Using pup, it is a 6.0 gas.

Probably overkill but yes, I am a frequent change believer. So no machine work on the engine? Just a preventative gasket swap while it's easy?

Originally Posted by Tdog02
Probably overkill but yes, I am a frequent change believer. So no machine work on the engine? Just a preventative gasket swap while it's easy?

I'm not a frequent oil-changer, but you bring up a good point: what actual work was done? Which gaskets? Rebuild? HG replacement due to failure?

I would change it early in case any coolant got caught in there during head removal and mixes in the oil. Maybe a cheap conventional oil for 500 miles or so then put the good stuff in.

I would do an oil change at ~ 1/2 your normal OC interval. If you normally do a 6K change, dump the first at 3K and I see no need to change the oil filter. Ed

Yes, check it every 50 miles or so then change at 500 mi. Part of the check is not oil quality but that there is oil quantity, still. First few drives I would check it every drive.

Just the fact that your wondering if you should change it, says to change it. I would.

Why not? Changing it certainly will not harm the engine and can only benefit it so I dont see any reason not too.
Its certainly cheap enough to do (as little as $20 using Super Tech to maybe $30 for the Syn) and will take a whole 25 Minutes, tops.

Last edited:
If you are ever at the point where you are questioning whether or not you need to do an oil change, do an oil change. It's peace of mind and giving your engine fresh, clean oil. Never a bad thing.

I agree with change early. No harm done but you get to see if there may or may not be a problem of whatever sort. Probably won't be but I would still change early.

Changing early is a waste of money
Changing too late generally will cost you additional money down the line, unless you get rid of that vehicle, prior to it's last year on the road.

So change appropriately. If you are first & last owner, don't let that oil dipstick become black & dirty. If you get rid of the vehicle at 100-150K, let it get somewhat dirty. If you lease or trade-in before 50-100K, let it get dirty and save money. Early disposal of the vehicle means run that engine oil to it's max allowed.

Last edited:
Were you present during the gasket replacements? Maybe you can gauge how much hubris/debris will fall away from the work areas during the first few drive cycles. If you think it would be enough to affect the screen pickup, I would put in some cheap oil and run it for 1 hour, then change it again with the high grade stuff you will use for full service intervals.

I'd be more worried about the coolant than some dirt that the filter will catch. Most people seem to be saying go 500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back