Honda 1.5L Engine Suffers Cold-Weather Oil-Dilution Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by doyall
"Honda's direct-injected 1.5L turbo 4-cyl. Earth Dreams engine is creating a nightmare for the company as it tries to resolve a severe gasoline oil-dilution problem it says is caused by cold-weather operation.

......."

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda-15l-engine-suffers-cold-weather-oil-dilution-problem

I was looking at buying an Audi A3 and the owner's manual specifically states that you can expect to have oil dilution if your driving habits involve short trips/cold weather, so I think this problem is not isolated to Honda.

This problem has existed since this engine came out. I think part of the problem is the small capacity sump. (less that 4 quarts)

Wards is a bit late on the news.

My Mazda, while not turbo, has short trip fuel dilution. The uoa looked good, but low viscosity. I went to 0w 30 and try to get longer trips in.

I think its more of a DI issue than a Honda issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TTK
Insufficient vaporization of fuel in DI engines.

Yup!! That's why every direct injected engine should also have port injection as well, for a continuously growing number of reasons.

What also compounds the problem on the 1.5T Honda is over-cooling in low temperatures, and I believe honda has bulletins regarding that as well.

I know a couple of people here in S. Florida with CR-V 1.5T and they wouldn't trade their cars for anything else. They don't smell fuel or experience drivability issues. These are car guys that are up to date on the Earthdreams situation. I guess the issue is as Honda states, primarily a northern winter issue.

Last edited:
While it's true that all TGDI engines can suffer from fuel dilution, Honda's 1.5T raises the bar. First, there are lots of owner reports of oil levels an inch and more above full. Second, it isn't just a cold weather issue: owners report the same problem when highway driven in warm temps. Third, though the engine is still fairly new, there are instances of CELs, stalls and camshaft replacements. On this board, typical fuel dilution amount in UOAs is >5% when measured by gas chromotography even when summer driven. Hard to find another TGDI engine with that record.

To top it off, Honda's "Fix" seems to have been a failure, with some owners claiming it made things worse. And customer service has been poor, with dealers seemingly instructed to pass everything off as "normal". Thinking about a Lemon Law action? Don't bother, Honda has stopped participating in these, forcing owners to litigate. In the meantime, don't bother contacting your dealer unless you stall or have an illuminated CEL.

If this was an issue of a bad batch of parts, quality control or engine tuning it's reasonable to think Honda would have come up with an effective solution. But as this has persisted for several model years it sure looks like a design flaw that will have to wait for the next engine generation or major rework.

I suppose Honda could be right and this is all harmless. But I wouldn't want to own one and wonder what's going to happen a few years down the road as mileage accumulates.

Originally Posted by madRiver
It's not a cold weather problem but a design flaw but Honda.

It's both... It's exacerbated by the cold weather when the engine runs richer more often. It's also a fuel quality problem.

Last edited:
One other item that can be making the problem worse is the turbo system. The PCV on Volvo cars is huge and helps to alleviate the moisture/ condensation caused by the turbo system. The system also has a small weep hole in the inter cooler to drain some of the condensation.

My friend has an F150 Eco boost, and we install a large catch can to deal with this moisture stuff. When you open it, it literally takes a pee for about 20-30 seconds lots of condensation. The inter cooler has no weep hole.

Honda has lots of facilities in Ohio and Canada, places that get real winter. They should have been able to do some cold weather testing
smirk2.gif

The Earth Nightmares engine is so bad that China had to order a stop-sale on them! That's China, a place not known for top-notch quality
crazy2.gif

I wonder if the ACURA RDX is having the same issue. Difficult to believe that Honda would not have cold tested this system and discovered this problem. Old man S. Honda will be turning over in his grave with this kind of management for his named company. Ed

I haven't heard of any problems with the 2.0. When I upgrade my Civic to a 2016 or newer I will definitely avoid the 1.5. No sense in asking
for trouble when you know they are having issues.

The port + DI is a good idea for deposit control, but it's not clear it makes a difference here.

Seems like they need different control for injection and cooling.

Wonder how much less of an issue this would be if we didn't control nox as tightly.

My Civic in my signature has the 1.5t and I will not buy another one. Level rises on the dipstick like the tides. I change oil, 2 months later it a half inch to an inch high so I dump the oil and start over. Heck the last time I did it I just threw in left over bottles of this and that, even put almost a quart of Ravenol RUP 5w-40.
I've owned 3 previous Hondas and this is by far the worst.
On top of the ridiculous fuel dilution the Third taillight cover fell off and took forever to get fixed.
The cvt occasionally makes a horrible grinding clattering diesel like sound from a valve in it that occurs on hot restarts. Have video of it but Honda will not change out the valve unless it happens in front of them.
Road noise regardless of tires is terrible.
Multiple times the push button start has not worked stranding my college age daughter. Dealer sold her a $9 key fob battery and sent her on her way. Happened two more times within the next month. I dont know what ever resolved it but it hasn't done it lately, all I know it doesnt start, and the dashboard lights up flashing every light multiple times.

In a few years I'll still probably get good money back out of it from some sucker who thinks Honda does no wrong. I will not return.

Here is the no start just like my daughter experiences

https://youtu.be/vTE8r9uu71Q

Here is the transmission valve rattling

https://youtu.be/UZdJNeh4uCc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back