"New" car! Woo hoo! '13 C-MAX Hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally found a what I felt was a worthy replacement for my Sable.
( Over the years I've either been really lucky, or I'm being guided to the right cars...)

I've liked the C-max since I saw the Top Gear review of the first gen models...way back when... Got excited when I saw they were bringing it to the states. Confused why they went hybrid only in N.Am., but... Ford knows better than me right?

I decided it was time for the Sable to go, knowing a few things that were coming up that I just didn't want to deal with ( can explain in detail later if anyone cares)
Also decided to read that the sable would be my last ICE only vehicle. Full electric would be cool, but I'm my price range, the only thing I saw were Fiat 500e's. Which I like, but I'd have to keep the sable for any trips over 80 mi.... Not a realistic solution.
I'm feeling Ford loyal, so I start searching for Ford hybrids, at least 5 yrs old, ~$10k, with 70k mi, or less.

Right away a 2010 escape hybrid pops up an hour away, 68k mi, $86xx.
Email them immediately( Fri night), back and forth with the salesman on sat, tell him I can't come up until Tuesday.

I get the sable all cleaned up and out Monday night, head up there Tues morning. " Oh, we sold that last night"

Week later, go to the local Dodge dealers budget lot, he has a near constant stream of used(2010-12) fusion hybrids from the fed. Govt, most around 60kmi, some as low as 5k mi. At that point they also had a similar MKZ hybrid, that I liked, " that sold yesterday, he's picking it up later today"

Took 2 of the fusions out, nice cars, drive fine, the seating position is just too low for me.

So after week or 3 of looking, and getting cars sold out from under me, I keep looking, last Thursday night I try true car on a whim, boom. Fresh trade in, 13 cmax hybrid. 64kmi, $10k, an hour away.
Email to confirm availability immediately, salesperson replies first thing Friday morning,it was traded in the day before, by a couple in their 80's, who need something taller.
I make an appointment for that evening, drive up after work, take it on a short drive, know it's the one. They give me $2k for the Sable, and beat the rate my bank had pre-qualified me for.
Sign all the paperwork Friday night. Can't take it home that night.
They hadn't even had a chance to inspect, service, or clean it yet.
My next day off is Tuesday, so we set up the "exchange" for Tuesday afternoon.

Monday morning she calls and say s almost everything passed their inspection, but it needs brakes all the way around. Which they had to order. So they sent it to detail.
Tuesday morning, brakes came in, can you wait until after 4 so they can get some other cars through.

So I get there at the stroke of 4, and as I'm deleting my phone from the Sable, there she goes in my c max, tearing out of the parking lot. ( Went down to the gas station to fuel it up)
She gets back, we trade keys shake hands, and off I go!

The only picture I've taken so far:

IMG_20190301_175135.jpg

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Good looking car, is it a Hyundai?

Really?
It's a Ford. Basically looks like a bloated Focus, sits as high as the Sable did, roofline is as high as an escape.

Originally Posted by earlyre
Monday morning she calls and say s almost everything passed their inspection, but it needs brakes all the way around. Which they had to order. So they sent it to detail.
Tuesday morning, brakes came in, can you wait until after 4 so they can get some other cars through.
Should have told them to toss the parts in the car and hand you the keys!

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Good looking car, is it a Hyundai?

Really?
It's a Ford. Basically looks like a bloated Focus, sits as high as the Sable did, roofline is as high as an escape.

CONGRATS!
Many (semi-electric) miles of happy use.

Wife cut this one out of lasts year's wagon search because of being too short (North-South) and not wide enough (West-East)

P.S.
More like a Fusion had a child with a Connect Wagon.

yesterday, I popped the hood for the first time( i know... should have on the test drive...I know) check the oil, good color, full. pull the fill cap, and sweet baby jesus! cap and tube are full of white stuff. I've been around enough to know that if it was "milkshake" it would be mocha at least. not vanilla. and this was pure as the driven snow white.
let the shock fade off,
Hybrid. old couple. moisture/condensation. whew.

I assume doing an oil change is a basic part of dealer prep, on a trade in, but see no indication that one was done( still has the sticker from the previous Midas Oil change on the windsheild...
put the car into the MyCarfax App, which i use to keep track of stuffs, at that point, the only thing from the Ford dealer showing was the wash/detail on monday.
so i make an appointment at the AAA Car Care Plus near my buddy's house, since I'm going down there in a few days, (39pt inspection, Syn OC, Rotation, $35.99 for AAA Members, $49 or so if you're not)

Look at the App again today, shows a whole Laundry list of services done.
So, do I assume they DID change the oil, and cancel my appointment, or just say EH? and be 100% certain that it was done....

it was at a ford dealer, on a ford, so i'm assuming it's MC5w20, and anFL-910s. IIRC the AAA place uses Napa oil and Filters(Valvoline and Wix)..

Screenshot (Mar 7, 2019 5_58_41 PM).png

Originally Posted by pandus13

Wife cut this one out of lasts year's wagon search because of being too short (North-South) and not wide enough (West-East)

Short and Wide? I resemble that remark!

Last edited:

Hmmm, with kids that like to carry the whole house with them in vacation?

So how do you like the ergonomics, driveability, the electric oomph?
ease of egress?

P.S. any ford fast-lane around you?

I'm slow Today. It finally hit me.
That means you are perfect for each other.

How about you be the guy that hit 299,999 on the "thick" 5w20?

yesterday, I popped the hood for the first time( i know... should have on the test drive...I know) check the oil, good color, full. pull the fill cap, and sweet baby jesus! cap and tube are full of white stuff. I've been around enough to know that if it was "milkshake" it would be mocha at least. not vanilla. and this was pure as the driven snow white.
let the shock fade off,
Hybrid. old couple. moisture/condensation. whew.

I assume doing an oil change is a basic part of dealer prep, on a trade in, but see no indication that one was done( still has the sticker from the previous Midas Oil change on the windsheild...
put the car into the MyCarfax App, which i use to keep track of stuffs, at that point, the only thing from the Ford dealer showing was the wash/detail on monday.
so i make an appointment at the AAA Car Care Plus near my buddy's house, since I'm going down there in a few days, (39pt inspection, Syn OC, Rotation, $35.99 for AAA Members, $49 or so if you're not)

Look at the App again today, shows a whole Laundry list of services done.
So, do I assume they DID change the oil, and cancel my appointment, or just say EH? and be 100% certain that it was done....

it was at a ford dealer, on a ford, so i'm assuming it's MC5w20, and anFL-910s. IIRC the AAA place uses Napa oil and Filters(Valvoline and Wix)..

It is has new pads and wipers, it's safe to assume it has new oil too. Looks like they really did a nice job of getting it ready for you!

I'd wait 3k miles before I'd change it. Take it for a hard drive to make sure the engine is on and running up to speed.

It's had that. The dealership is around 50mi away, roughly 75 min drive. Half of which is highway.
Next Weds I'm going to Columbus ( 100mi each way) to see a friend.

I'll probably do the next one at around 70k mi. Currently ~64k. Factory interval is 10k mi/ one year. ( Looking to get it "back on track" as it were....)

Last edited:
Taking a quick look at the filter would be the easiest way to tell. The dealer would have used a Motorcraft, Midas would be a white can no name most likely.

So how do you like the ergonomics, driveability, the electric oomph?
ease of egress?

P.S. any ford fast-lane around you?

so far i love basically everything.
the only...annoyance is in trying to set the Sync 2/My Ford Touch system to connect to my home wifi for updates and such, it only allows 10 characters in network password. mine has 16.
and I ain't changing it.

nearest quick lane is in a little town 20 some mi(around 30 min) west of me. (my Aunt and Uncle live there... good an excuse to visit as any i guess...)

Last edited:
Congrats I hope you like her. It's funny you are talking about the Fusions being prior Federal Government vehicles the GSA we use us a C-max hybrid.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Congrats I hope you like her. It's funny you are talking about the Fusions being prior Federal Government vehicles the GSA we use us a C-max hybrid.

well these are 2010-2012 models... I went to look at one they had listed online, only 15k mi, the city had already purchased it. and the one at their main dealer with 5k mi...
( then just yesterday dad told me he read that the local PD is replacing some of their remaining crownvic's with "used Hybrids"...I put 2+2 together today... those Fusions are going to be turned into cop cars...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back