Have you installed quick struts on your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have installed quick struts

As to whether they raise the car higher than normal, I cannot accurately judge because the cars had over 200k when I installed them. One one car, one of the original springs fell out of the spring seat on the strut
crazy2.gif

Springs do sag over time, so I would be comparing 20-yo 200k sagged springs with brand new springs.

Quick struts are awesome because you get all the components assembled and ready to install. No need for a spring compressor
smile.gif

But please, only use name-brand quick struts such as Monroe, KYB, Gabriel, or Sachs. Also, Ford now offers Motorcraft quick struts for some of their cars, so if you have a Ford, they are worth considering.

usually quick struts are inferior to brand new oem parts, but the price and convenience and the fact that they are usually installed on high mileage/low value cars makes them a winner in many cases.

IIRC 2quick struts and 2 shocks for the accent was under $300 and about 1.5 hours for me to install taking my time.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
If so, did they raise the front end up higher than normal?

The new coil springs do that from what I understand.

Yes they do initially, but after a couple weeks they usually settle down a little bit.

I put Monroe quick struts on my 2003 Park Ave a few years and about 100,000 kms ago. They did well, no complaints from me. Quality can be hit and miss with quick struts, so check the warranty, check buyers' reviews, and buy from a reputable seller. They did raise the car somewhat, but that didn't bother me at all. Cleared parking curbs much better, which was nice.
OEM is nice, but the extra cost may not be worth it on an older car.

Yeah, I'm in the same group. I've done two on my Dads '06 Mazda and both didn't seem to last. In the future I'd rent the compressor and install some nice KYB or similar

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I put Bilsteins on my 2001 Tundra in the stock springs. Lifted it at least an inch.

you really claim that new shocks/struts on your used springs lifted the vehicle? you realize this is not physically possible right? the shock is there to dampen the movements of the spring not hold it up in any way. Did you replace the rubber parts at the time like mounts or something else?

bilsteins, if they are 5100s, have different locator positions for the spring perch. He probably used them with a lifted position.

My understanding is the cheapo ones will often not be similar to the factory ones and will raise the height. They also often ride stiffer. The higher quality more expensive ones will be closer to OEM.

Yup, a pair of Gabriel's on the front of my Nissan Xterra. The Nissan started with Bilstein's that actually rode really nice, but when I was trying to install a lift kit, one of the top strut mounts busted, so they had to be replaced. The Gabriel's surprisingly have a little firmer, more controlled ride, and yes, they did lift the front almost an additional inch over and above the little lift kit I installed. In this instance it was appreciated, as the primary duty of this truck is off road. They have been on there almost 5-6 months and have not settled at all yet.

Originally Posted by XCIDMigs
I put Bilsteins on my 2001 Tundra in the stock springs. Lifted it at least an inch.

you really claim that new shocks/struts on your used springs lifted the vehicle? you realize this is not physically possible right? the shock is there to dampen the movements of the spring not hold it up in any way. Did you replace the rubber parts at the time like mounts or something else?

Yes. I agree it seems strange, but it did lift the truck.
The Bilsteins also took away some of that "Lexus" ride...

Last edited:
Back in 2017. Take it somewhere with lots of speed bumps and hit em doing 10-15mph. This will allow your springs to settle

I'd only do it for a car I don't care about or when OEM parts for the strut mounts and spring bellows are NLA.

I had them on my old Infiniti. It sat taller for the first 2 wks then settled out.

My buddy installed them on his Toyota and the height didn't settle. This caused his camber to get messed up (non-adjustable) and the shop had to ground out the strut bolt holes to bring it back into spec.

Originally Posted by XCIDMigs

Yes. I agree it seems strange, but it did lift the truck.
The Bilsteins also took away some of that "Lexus" ride...

I experienced this when going from OEM VW Jetta struts to Bilstein HD struts (kept my original springs). The nitrogen gas charge is so strong on some of the Bilstein units that it is a slight boost to the spring force. The dampers I took off I could slowly compress, and they had no willingness to return to extended length. The Bilsteins took considerally more force to compress, and would slowly but forcefully rebound to full extension. There was certainly a slight increase in ride height that remained for weeks after...or until I quit noticing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back