Oil Suggestions for 2015 Passat TDI? 5w30 VW 507

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Pennzoil 0w-30 c2/c3. Avoid the mobil 1 0w-30 esp, its not even API SN

Who cares? After multiple pages of arguing, I don't think you understand what API S-series even mean.

It's for Spark-ignition engines. Last I checked, TDI's don't have spark plugs to initiate the air-fuel mixture. If you care about arguing API, then it is the "C" (for Compression Ignition)

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Pennzoil 0w-30 c2/c3. Avoid the mobil 1 0w-30 esp, its not even API SN

Who cares? After multiple pages of arguing, I don't think you understand what API S-series even mean.

It's for Spark-ignition engines. Last I checked, TDI's don't have spark plugs to initiate the air-fuel mixture. If you care about arguing API, then it is the "C" (for Compression Ignition)

Not only that his posts are insult to intelligence but his persistence is seriously amazing.

I believe I got put on ignore
smile.gif

Yes i know about the a3 in xx-30 grade is api sl. But still the HDEO oils carry some sort api grade wich the mobil1 0w-30 c2/c3 have not even if the phosphorus is 0.8%

ACEA C specifications, however, by definition, are suitable for gasoline engines. The API specification really isn't relevant, unless you have a vehicle calling for it, and even then, it's not much of an issue. There is no way in heck that Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30 C3 would be unsuitable to use in my G37 calling for a 5w-30 SM or newer (no GF-4 mandatory) and 6000 km OCIs. Castrol says their C3 5w-30 is perfectly acceptable for the G37.

I know that C3 is suitable for gasoline engines. I also know that an E7, E9 will work, too. The specifications are navigable on their own. For the most part, I don't need an API specification there are suitable ACEA specs there and I trust that the oil company has actually formulated to them.

Just use the oil VW has Castrol make for them. Castrol Edge Professional LL03. I have 200,000 miles on my 2015 VW Golf TDI. Also have no soot or any black in the tailpipe. Co Worker of mine has a 2013 VW Passat TDI and he uses Mobil 1 ESP and his tailpipe is black and full of soot. Other people I know with VW TDI that use the oil that was designed for VW by Castrol tailpipe is clean as a whistle, others that says they won't use Castrol bc they don't like it, have black tailpipes.

Originally Posted by vq40
Just use the oil VW has Castrol make for them. Castrol Edge Professional LL03. I have 200,000 miles on my 2015 VW Golf TDI. Also have no soot or any black in the tailpipe. Co Worker of mine has a 2013 VW Passat TDI and he uses Mobil 1 ESP and his tailpipe is black and full of soot. Other people I know with VW TDI that use the oil that was designed for VW by Castrol tailpipe is clean as a whistle, others that says they won't use Castrol bc they don't like it, have black tailpipes.

I would say that is indication of driving habits. You racked up 50k a year. That is perfect for that engine.
I never had soot in tailpipes in my BMW X5, but I used Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30.

Last edited:
No it has nothing to do with driving habits, it has to do with the oil formulation and noack of the Castrol.

And what is NOACK of that Castrol and why it is better then 5.6% in Mobil1 ESP (old formulation)?
What does NOACk has to do with soot and why that soot is not being trapped in DPF?
I would seriously like to know answers on these questions.

Last edited:
In a nutshell I'm not going to write a big article but, DPF filters out larger soot particles, and then when it goes into regeneration, it burns the larger soot into smaller particles then out the tailpipe. Oil volatility plays a part in that soot . The DPF will not catch that. Volatility is highest at the beginning of oil change, and will stabilize after the first 3000 miles. So that's the reason for the extended drains as well of 10,000 miles. VW has tested all this and, with the way VW regeneration works the oil has to withstand the fact VW TDI engines with the DPF deliberately squirt an extra shot of fuel into the cylinder on the exhaust stroke to heat up the catalytic converter in order to regenerate. A portion of this fuel will end up on the cylinder walls, be scraped up by the piston rings, and end up in the crankcase, where it will dilute the oil. The oil must be designed to tolerate a certain amount of fuel dilution.

In a nutshell I'm not going to write a big article but, DPF filters out larger soot particles, and then when it goes into regeneration, it burns the larger soot into smaller particles then out the tailpipe. Oil volatility plays a part in that soot . The DPF will not catch that. Volatility is highest at the beginning of oil change, and will stabilize after the first 3000 miles. So that's the reason for the extended drains as well of 10,000 miles. VW has tested all this and, with the way VW regeneration works the oil has to withstand the fact VW TDI engines with the DPF deliberately squirt an extra shot of fuel into the cylinder on the exhaust stroke to heat up the catalytic converter in order to regenerate. A portion of this fuel will end up on the cylinder walls, be scraped up by the piston rings, and end up in the crankcase, where it will dilute the oil. The oil must be designed to tolerate a certain amount of fuel dilution.

Did you read my questions or you just spewing your assumption?
You do know that Mobil1 carries VW 504.00/507.00 approval? I actually worked on testing of oil that was developed for that specification and there is no one oil that has special treatment by VW and then rest. LL03 carries only VW504.00/507.00 and NOACK can by anything as long as it is below 13%. Knowing Castrol, it is probably around 10-11%. It does not meet MB229.51 so NOACK does not have to be below 10%.
Do not get me wrong, it is good oil, BUT not on par with Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 that had apparently NOACK of 5.6%. But, even if that is not true, we know that VISOM base had some stellar NOACK results in other oils like 0W40 which was 8.7%.
The DPF WILL CATCH oil composition. That is why DPF has lifespan. It is clogged by SAPS which ends up in DPF through oil volatility.
I know how fuel dilution works.
So, my question AGAIN is: why Castrol 5W30 LL03 is better than Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 if BOTH meet VW 504.00/507.00?

Last edited:
I own a 2013 Golf TDI. Your best bet is to buy the kit online. https://www.europaparts.com/oil-change-kit-03n115562.html . you can configure the oil/filter you want on that site. Much easier than trying to chase down the correct oil etc locally. You change the drain plug and washer on these engines every oil change as well and the kit comes with them.

I myself just plan on taking my TDI to the dealer every 10K. They use Castrol SLX professional 5w-30 which is 507 approved. It's like $20 more than changing it yourself and its documented for the warranty. I'm assuming your 2015 was CPO and comes with the 2 year unlimited mile warranty like most TDI's carry. Mine did....

No it has nothing to do with driving habits, it has to do with the oil formulation and noack of the Castrol.

It has everything to do with driving habits.

Because you drive so much and I assume spend a lot of time on highway, the vehicle almost never needs to regen. The people that only drive to get milk and Johnny from soccer practice are regening often.

Originally Posted by Huie83
I own a 2013 Golf TDI. Your best bet is to buy the kit online. https://www.europaparts.com/oil-change-kit-03n115562.html . you can configure the oil/filter you want on that site. Much easier than trying to chase down the correct oil etc locally. You change the drain plug and washer on these engines every oil change as well and the kit comes with them.

I myself just plan on taking my TDI to the dealer every 10K. They use Castrol SLX professional 5w-30 which is 507 approved. It's like $20 more than changing it yourself and its documented for the warranty. I'm assuming your 2015 was CPO and comes with the 2 year unlimited mile warranty like most TDI's carry. Mine did....

No I bought it brand new when I worked at VW as a technician. I haven't seen SLX since 2014.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII--TDI/Engine/Oil_Service/

The factory oil you will see under genuine vw/Audi. That's where most of my old customers get their oil from.

I have a '14 TDI SEL (different motor than OP) purchased new w/ 175k miles now. My daily commute is 140 miles total. I use Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 from Walmart - 2 gals delivered is ~$60.00 Summit Racing also has it on sale now for $25/gal and Mobil has a rebate going until the end of the year. ID Parts sells filters (get the 10 pack). My OCI is 10k miles, I add maybe a pint around the 7500 mile mark. MPG w/DSG is 40-41 average after the VW fix, not babied. Fourth VW TDI; plenty of good info at TDI Club. Good luck, John

Not sure if the OP's brother lives in PA, but Kendall Euro GT+ (not the GT) can be purchased in Scranton @ PSC (Petroleum Service Company) for $66USD/12qts ~ 5.50/qt

PSC website indicates "fully approved" as a VW507 service fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back