9mm choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya guys,
I've come so far from being so afraid to handle a gun to having a great time shooting with my 1 month old SR22 that I can't wait to upgrade to a 9mm.

In my quest to research a well built, accurate and fun to shoot without having to pull the trigger to field-strip it, I came up with a few I'd like to run by you guys and get your opinion, good or otherwise. There is one on this list that I am absolutely drooling for but will not give it away as to which one it is to see how many of you will comment on it, randomly. The list (in no particular order):

• Ruger Security 9
  • Glock 17
  • Ruger SR9
  • Sig Saur P320
  • XD(M) 4.5" full size
  • Glock 19

From that list, which would be your first choice? 2nd choice? I'll share the one I'm drooling for after a few comments. Or can you guess which one I'm drooling for?
20.gif

Last edited:
Whatever fits best for you and the purpose of the pistol (Range or Concealed or other). Everybody is different.

Last edited:
Sorry, gotta pull the trigger to disassemble the Glocks. But if you follow basic firearms safety then it's not a problem. Glocks aren't the only 'offenders'.

I never shot one but the Security 9 feels great in my hand and is by most accounts a highly decent inexpensive pistol.

Glocks are Glocks and they just work and have great aftermarket. The 19 is almost the perfect size if you can't afford BOTH a carry gun and a range gun. The grip angles are.. unique, though, so test drive one before you commit. They hold their value as well.

But I would probably go for the Security 9 if I just wanted something functional and wanted to save money for ammo. Ruger is a great company.

XDMs, while great, have a "relatively" high bore axis compared to a lot of modern poly 9s and it has been my main gripe about them. However, I do own a XDM9 3.8" and it shoots extremely well.

Any of the pistols on the list would work. Spend some time and handle them and possible if rent some if there is a range that rents guns by where you live.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Sorry, gotta pull the trigger to disassemble the Glocks. But if you follow basic firearms safety then it's not a problem. Glocks aren't the only 'offenders'.

I never shot one but the Security 9 feels great in my hand and is by most accounts a highly decent inexpensive pistol.

Ack! You are absolutely correct. I stand corrected on the Glocks disassembly procedure. Thank you for pointing it out. Welp, Glocks are off the list, as of now.

But that shouldn't be a deciding factor. If anything it means the user should be even more conscious of what they are doing when they are handling the firearm. And that's never a bad thing.

Looks like Ruger is phasing out the SR series so you may be able to get a deal on one sometime somewhere.

The P320 is a pretty chunky pistol with a relatively high bore axis. Not bad or good, just a note. It is pretty serious-looking, especially the full-sized one.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Just got this bad boy last week, G17 Gen 5. It's awesome!

I've got a gen 5 17 MOS on order from the local gun store that I'm waiting very impatiently for.

I HATE the grip cutout on my gen 5 19.

Glock all day for a first 9mm. 19 if you plan to carry concealed. If you don't plan on carrying then whichever one fits your hand better. Pulling the trigger to field strip is a non issue.

Originally Posted by CT8
What is the big deal about pulling the trigger to dissemble the slide?

Forget to clear the chamber and you will find out.Not bashing,I own Glocks.

I own an SR9 and can say that for me, it's the most accurate pistol I've owned. I am sure there are more accurate pistols (and waaaay better shooters out there) but it works for me.

Last edited:
i like the simplicity + reliability of revolvers,+ there are some using the popular economical 9mm acp ammo, as noted it depends on your intended use

Originally Posted by Eosyn
Hiya guys,
I've come so far from being so afraid to handle a gun to having a great time shooting with my 1 month old SR22 that I can't wait to upgrade to a 9mm.

In my quest to research a well built, accurate and fun to shoot without having to pull the trigger to field-strip it, I came up with a few I'd like to run by you guys and get your opinion, good or otherwise. There is one on this list that I am absolutely drooling for but will not give it away as to which one it is to see how many of you will comment on it, randomly. The list (in no particular order):

• Ruger Security 9
  • Glock 17
  • Ruger SR9
  • Sig Saur P320
  • XD(M) 4.5" full size
  • Glock 19

From that list, which would be your first choice? 2nd choice? I'll share the one I'm drooling for after a few comments. Or can you guess which one I'm drooling for?
20.gif

Why does this new 9mm need to be disassembled without tools?

The Glock 19 would be at the top of any 9mm starter pistol list, not just the 6 you referenced above.

It's also a good medium size if you want to transition into concealed carry in the future.

I can see eliminating a Glock if you cannot shoot it well. Or else don't like the ergonomics. But not because you have to pull the trigger to field strip it. If you practice gun safety it doesn't matter which gun you practice it on. An empty chamber is an empty chamber.

Absolutely.

If you can't exercise proper gun safety while disassembling your weapon, you shouldn't be handling a gun to begin with.

I think all responsible gun owners would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back