Hyundai/Kia Reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wemay
Hyundai/Kia GDi are chain driven so zzyzzx, you're in luck.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, but are they interference engines?

Originally Posted by grampi

Yes, they are, as are most engines out today.
Whats the problem with a chain driven interference engine?

Originally Posted by blupupher

Yes, they are, as are most engines out today.
Whats the problem with a chain driven interference engine?

Nothing, as long as the chain doesn't break, or it doesn't skip a tooth...

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I don't think they've had any timing belts in 10 years.
Our 2008 Hyundai Accent has a timing belt (which we have just changed for the 2nd time(140,000miles). Think that Accent series was from 2006(?) to 2011.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Had four Kia's (including a Ford Fiesta) and a Hyundai and never had trouble with any of them.
I think you meant Ford Festiva. One fellow took his Ford Festiva to the wrecking yard..... at 600,000 miles. My Ford Festiva is 31 years old. At its best, the only problem was with sparkplug wires, averaged 46MPG(with ethanol-free gasoline) & a high of 57MPG. Hyundai bought into Kia at one point, because Kia had better reliability than Hyundai. As the years past. both companies' vehicles became respected. Our Hyundai Accent & two Elantras have 263,000+ miles. Tho the Accent is rated as EPA highway 32MPG, 18 tanks in a row this past summer, were 40MPG, with highs of 47+ & 48+MPG. The Accent has had rear brakes & electronic ignition problems, but seems that 200-230,000 miles will occur without undue expense. The two Elantras have had nothing wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah...
~400 alleged fires out of 3.5 million+ vehicles sold doesn't deter me in the least. I would buy H/K again without a doubt as they've been the epitome of excellent reliability in my family. Every other brand I've owned has had a skeleton or two in the closet too. It happens.

I guess I just don't understand the point of buying Kia/Hyundai. I could see people buying them in the past because they USED to be considerably less expensive than their Japanese counterparts, but now days they cost just as much, and from what I can tell, they aren't any better, and some still aren't as good. No thanks, I'll stick with the Japanese makes because I have no reason not to...

Originally Posted by wemay
Yeah...
~400 alleged fires out of 3.5 million+ vehicles sold doesn't deter me in the least. I would buy H/K again without a doubt as they've been the epitome of excellent reliability in my family. Every other brand I've owned has had a skeleton or two in the closet too. It happens.

+1 My Santa Fe was the best vehicle I owned to date and it wasn't even 1/2 the quality of today's Hyundai/Kia vehicles. I totally agree that it's standard pain from time to time that every OE experiences.
People still purchase Chrysler and look at all the problems they have had over the decades. People blow things way out of proportion here and then get fixated on it.

Last edited:
Actually, Hyundai bought Kia in 1998 during a financial crisis when Kia was insolvent. Glad your Hyundai Kia experience was good.
Originally Posted by litesong
Hyundai bought into Kia at one point, because Kia had better reliability than Hyundai.
Hyundai Wins Auction to Take Over Kia Motors

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/19/business/hyundai-wins-auction-to-take-over-kia-motors.html
In 1998, after a shake-up in the South Korean auto industry caused by overambitious expansion and the Asian financial crisis, Hyundai acquired the majority of rival Kia Motors. Hyundai owns 33.88% of Kia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Motor_Company[/quote]

It's interesting that this thread questioning the quality of Hyundai and Kia is right below the Ford replacing engines due to oil consumption thread.

One is a question, the other is reality.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It's interesting that this thread questioning the quality of Hyundai and Kia is right below the Ford replacing engines due to oil consumption thread.

Fixed it.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Fixed it.

I have been reading the thread.

I don't understand what was fixed? Maybe It am missing it or it is over my head.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Fixed it.

I have been reading the thread.

I don't understand what was fixed? Maybe It am missing it or it is over my head.

My remark was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, I bumped the thread about Hyundai/Kia headquarters being raided over the mishandling of their engine "defect" recall. This was the one where the engines were randomly failing and was originally claimed to be machining debris IIRC.

I guess I just don't understand the point of buying Kia/Hyundai. I could see people buying them in the past because they USED to be considerably less expensive than their Japanese counterparts, but now days they cost just as much, and from what I can tell, they aren't any better, and some still aren't as good. No thanks, I'll stick with the Japanese makes because I have no reason not to...

Comparing my base model 2017 Santa Fe SE to the base model Mazda CX-9, and the Hyundai gives you much more for the $$. I get a 290hp 3.3L V6, not a turbo 2.5L 4, I get a better interior, I didn't have to pay extra for wood trim...I get a better ride and handling.......

Ignorance is bliss. Why aren't there more happy people here?

Originally Posted by Brigadier

Comparing my base model 2017 Santa Fe SE to the base model Mazda CX-9, and the Hyundai gives you much more for the $$. I get a 290hp 3.3L V6, not a turbo 2.5L 4, I get a better interior, I didn't have to pay extra for wood trim...I get a better ride and handling.......

Ignorance is bliss. Why aren't there more happy people here?

The base model CX9 does not have the wood trim. That would be the top of the line Signature trim.

Hyundai makes great vehicles. However a bigger engine is not a good example of quality.

I fell in love with my new 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe, when I test drove it.
My wife uttered the same exact words after she drove it.

This is our first-ever new foreign vehicle, not of the GM / Ford / Chrysler variety. We absolutely have no regrets and it's so much fine to drive.

.... I could see people buying them in the past because they USED to be considerably less expensive than their Japanese counterparts, but now days they cost just as much...... I'll stick with the Japanese makes.....
Yes, Kia/Hyundai was cheaper in the past around the turn of the century. But, even in 2009, I saw TWO Hyundai Accents being sold for $14,000.....what a deal! Even our 2016 Elantra (best car we ever bought) was purchased EASILY for under $13,000. Recently, I saw a new 2018(19?) Elantra selling for under $11,000. With three decades of reliable Hyundia/Kia cars, low prices, long warranty, & good MPG, we love Hyundai/Kia. Saying that tho, it is wrong of Hyundai/Kia to stall on obvious needed repairs to their products.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back