Alex Trabek has stage 4 cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be well fellow Canuck.
08.gif
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I saw that earlier today. I have watched him for years and hope he recovers.

Sad to say this, but his chances of recovering from this are extremely slim
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by skyactiv
I figured he would die from cirrhosis of the liver. I doubt he will make it to 2020.

Unfortunately I think you might be right. I knew of a few people that had it and they all died within a year or two of the diagnosis. It's one of the most aggressive cancers out there.

The survival rate for someone with pancreatic cancer stage 4 is about 1% after 5 years.

I personally don't know anyone who has survived more than a few months after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (several family members and friends). Treatments don't appear to have any affect on it and actually exasperate the suffering. It is an slow, very painful, and awful way to die, for the sufferer and loved ones alike. I have seen it with my own eyes. I don't want to go like that!

Originally Posted by Pablo
Very sad.

A true icon. Great guy from what people tell me.

Just when I started getting a few final Jeopardy questions. Took ME 35 years!! Hope he beats it!!!!

It has taken me over 40 years to get few right each night!

Sad news. My uncle's next door neighbor, who I know fairly well, was also recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He has only a few months to live at the most. It's an extremely aggressive and fast-spreading cancer. By the time a doctor diagnoses it, it's often already too late to do anything about it. My uncle's neighbor was an otherwise healthy guy in his late 50s, and boom, this happens. I hate to say it, but given Alex is 78 and the cancer is stage 4, he's gonna be gone very soon.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
The survival rate for someone with pancreatic cancer stage 4 is about 1% after 5 years.

Years back, my brother lost two friends from it, young fellows. They were two brothers, both wound up with it, and neither lasted long. I don't think either of them had hit 30 yet.

There has been an article floating around the last few days, that he is soon going to be stepping down from hosting "Jeopardy". He said that he is getting sores in his mouth from all the Chemotherapy, that are giving him trouble annunciating his words clearly. It appears he is getting close to the end of his fight. Really sad to see.

Originally Posted by Patman

frown.gif

Indeed.

Despite all of the positive-appearing results when he first started treatment, I've seen what it does first-hand and it was just a matter of time.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by Patman

frown.gif

Indeed.

Despite all of the positive-appearing results when he first started treatment, I've seen what it does first-hand and it was just a matter of time.
frown.gif

I have witnessed that myself. In many cases there is that optimistic improvement but eventually the disease takes over. The treatment for the mouth sores is really to ease the pain. They use a lidocaine mixture to numb the mouth which probably affects the speech as much as the sores.

He has surely given it the good fight though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back