Ford replacing F150 5.0's due to oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when the 5.0's were reintroduced,I kept hearing stories of them "dropping pistons" and needing rebuilds. What was the cause for that?

They should definitely be adding oil level sensors. Especially with the introduction of new engine technology that obviously hasn't been out long enough.

My 2002 GMC truck I bought from my employer has a low oil level warning (good thing because the 5.3 used a qt every 2-3k miles the last year or so.

My girlfriend has a 2013 Hyundai Sonata (also known to have oil consumption issues) when she first got it (before I knew her) she went 7k miles or so and wondered why it hasn't told her to change the oil yet (her previous vehicle did and it was an old Ford Windstar). She talks to the dealer and finds out no it doesn't have any warnings about oil. The manufacturers don't seem to understand the lack of knowledge of the general public these days.

Originally Posted by itguy08
I'm surprised of 2 things:
1. Nobody has put in an oil level sensor yet that tells you when to add oil. We have them for washer fluid, why not oil?
2. Ford didn't put the 10qt Mustang pan on the F150.

The 2015-2017 Mustangs do have a low oil level sensor. For some reason Ford dropped it on 2018+ models.

Although I'd not call there "Lots" of engine replacements. It seems to be a few, maybe 10 or so on the Mustang boards that got engine replacements. Certainly more than normal but with sales of 100k a year, that's what .01%?

10 or so 2018+ engines being replaced of just the members on one Mustang board (M6G) is pretty bad since the number of 2018+ board members are a very small fraction of total Mustang owners. And most of those engines were replaced when they had very low miles, like 3000 miles or less. Obviously some bad manufacturing and bad QA going on.

That sucks that the 2018 5.0's are having issues. The 5.0 in my 2014 Mustang GT has been great and uses no real amount of oil of coarse I broke it in with several hard accelerations and then let it decelerate down without using the brakes. I felt pretty comfortable that my rings were pretty well seated. Car has almost 31,000 miles and runs very strong.

My fiancee has a 2017 F150 with the 5.0 but she doesn't drive it enough to see if it uses oil. It currently only has about 7,500 miles on it and she bought it in July of 2017. I changed the oil in it for the first time in June of 18 which was a year after it was built and I think it only had 3- 3,500 miles on it. I haven't really heard of any real engine issues with the 2017's but I'm sure the warranty will be out on hers before she gets very many miles on the truck.

Concerning the Mustang, some think that the 5w20 is too light. I believe 5w30 is recommended in the manual for track use. I think 5w50 is used in the GT350s & 500s, but that is a very different build, right? I'm curious as to what oil is recommended in the Australian GTs since CAFE has a hand in our oil? Just throw in M1 0w40 and call it a day!
grin.gif

Originally Posted by doyall
1. Nobody has put in an oil level sensor yet that tells you when to add oil. ...

I had a 1992 Ford Ranger with a V6 that would light up the oil light every time the oil was 3/4 qt low. I have missed that (presumable) feature on every vehicle since.

Yeah, I don't understand why this feature went away. Maybe it was just low hanging fruit during cost cutting, but oil level is kind of important information.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
That was quite a different design and process than the plasma spray liner used in the Ford Coyote. The Vega actually had the aluminum impregnated with high levels of silicon ... no actual physical liner layer was added to the top surface of the aluminum like in the Coyote.

PTWA has been used in numerous industries to provide a finished surface for years. It's been used in turbines and other areas where a precision wear surface is needed.

Not sure who else is using it as Ford may well be the only one with this volume but it's usage is or will be growing and is rebuildable:
PTWA Explained
PTWA for rebuilds

We don't know if that is even the reason for the oil consumption.

BMW is using the technology in their latest engines.

I hope that isn't a recommendation for the technique, shall we talk about nikasil bores they should never had exported.
lol.gif

Nope, just a statement of fact. lol.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by doyall
1. Nobody has put in an oil level sensor yet that tells you when to add oil. ...

I had a 1992 Ford Ranger with a V6 that would light up the oil light every time the oil was 3/4 qt low. I have missed that (presumable) feature on every vehicle since.

Yeah, I don't understand why this feature went away. Maybe it was just low hanging fruit during cost cutting, but oil level is kind of important information.

Hey buddy, don't second guess the engineers. They know what they're doing!!!!!!!!

It doesn't take much of an oil burner to get really low with 10K oil changes becoming normal.

Originally Posted by Toy4x4
Concerning the Mustang, some think that the 5w20 is too light. I believe 5w30 is recommended in the manual for track use. I think 5w50 is used in the GT350s & 500s, but that is a very different build, right? I'm curious as to what oil is recommended in the Australian GTs since CAFE has a hand in our oil? Just throw in M1 0w40 and call it a day!
grin.gif

The GT-500 and GT-350/R had/have different engines. The Track Pack Mustangs like mine do call for 5W50 and there are no internal differences, plus they have an OEM oil cooler. At some point they eliminated the piston oil squirters which I think was a bad idea personally.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
grin.gif

The GT-500 and GT-350/R had/have different engines. The Track Pack Mustangs like mine do call for 5W50 and there are no internal differences, plus they have an OEM oil cooler. At some point they eliminated the piston oil squirters which I think was a bad idea personally.

Gen2 and Gen3 Coyotes still have oil squirters ... shows them right in the factory service manual.

grin.gif

As bdcardinal mentioned, the Boss 302 and Track Pack Mustangs called for 5W-50 and the engines were really no different.

Australian Mustang GTs call for 5W-30. IMO, 5W-30 is a good viscosity to run all the time, and do with something a bit heavier if doing track work.

We don't know what the issue is - could be rings, piston clearance, liner, any # of issues. It's probably cheaper for the mfg to ship a long block than have a tech replace pistons, rings, etc to maybe fix the issue. They can replace the long block and be done with it and send it to the factory where it can be machined and put back together properly.

PWTA liners are not new - they have been used on the GT-R, GT350, and other high performance vehicles. It's not new but most likely this is one of the few high volume applications. We don't know if it's a lining issue or any one of the other things that cause oil consumption.

It's interesting reading the responses and general disdain for "new and different" here. For the most part new works well. I "took that gamble" 3 times and it's worked out well. 2010 Taurus SHO (new Ecoboost 3.5 and 6F55 @ 130k runs great with minimal maintenance), 2011 F150 with the EB 3.5 (94k and runs great, only issue was the condensation and it does like plugs every 40k), and 2018 Mustang GT, while too early to tell (7500 mi) it should be fine as well. Some designs have issues but as a whole it's not the dire stuff many around here paint it as.

I have a 2018 Mustang 5.0 as well, along with the new A10 automatic transmission and it's been problem free. It doesn't use any oil either. I'm going to use 5W-30 in it, as that's what is recommended by Ford if you use it on the track. I think it's a hint for you to just go ahead and use 30 oil because it's just better for a high performance application.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
grin.gif

Gen2 and Gen3 Coyotes still have oil squirters ... shows them right in the factory service manual.

Didn't know they added them back in. There was a big deal with Ford saying they eliminated them in 12 or 13 because they felt they weren't needed with the different pistons. I personally with they hadn't eliminated them because there is no downside, especially on a Track Pack car that has the limp mode to prevent overheating deactivated from the factory.

Just checked the FSM for my Mustang and they are not present in the engine assembly portion, nor are they in the blow-up illustration. They are on the parts end though which isn't unusual for Ford.

Last edited:
Here ya go bdcardinal ... 2015 Mustang GT service manual snip-it.

S550 Mustang Piston Cooling Jets.JPG

Yes I have seen that. They don't have it for my 14, but do have it for an 11 Mustang. Interesting how they eliminated them and then brought them back.

BTW for anyone wondering why they put in a new engine instead of rebuilding it, Ford does not allow internal work to the shortblock at the dealer level on warranty repairs any longer. We can replace a short block under warranty if necessary or do a longblock. We can do heads obviously which our techs hate on anything with the select fit lifters.

Doing a long block at the dealer level makes way more sense than anything else.

Ford already has engine manufacture and rebuild centers in place and running. They already have a parts distribution network in place. Let the engine builders do their thing and let the dealer techs do their thing.

Shipping a dealership a bunch of parts to rebuild an engine rather than just an engine is kind of a waste of resources.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Doing a long block at the dealer level makes way more sense than anything else.

Ford already has engine manufacture and rebuild centers in place and running. They already have a parts distribution network in place. Let the engine builders do their thing and let the dealer techs do their thing.

Shipping a dealership a bunch of parts to rebuild an engine rather than just an engine is kind of a waste of resources.

Plus it is a ton of unnecessary labor. In addition to the labor to R&R, you have to pay someone to build it, as well as any sublet machine shop charges. Our door rate is $140/hr and I think our warranty rate for Ford is somewhere in the $109-120 range, it always changes, so that is a ton of wasted money and hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back