Car Wash or Degreaser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically I'm lazy when it comes to washing vehicles. Is it okay to spray down a vehicle w/ degreasers like Simple Green or dishwashing soap and then rinse them off? Is there something better like those car washes soaps? After its done, what kind of spray wax is good?

Originally Posted by PumpPusher
Basically I'm lazy when it comes to washing vehicles. Is it okay to spray down a vehicle w/ degreasers like Simple Green or dishwashing soap and then rinse them off? Is there something better like those car washes soaps? After its done, what kind of spray wax is good?

Everything I have ever read involving car cleaning say's to stay away from dish soap. And why would you want to use Simple Green on your paint? A good automotive car wash is designed to remove dirt and road grime from car finishes without harming them.

There are many low maintenance "Wax As You Dry" products out there that are easy to use, and work well. Turtle Wax, and Meguiar's Quik Wax are 2 of them.

I use degreasers because it's cheap and it cuts through oil and grease really well. I live in oilfield country and it's not uncommon to drive through an oil slick even in the middle of town. They spill it everywhere!

If you have used it before then go ahead and use it again. It's not what I would use but you asked the question and seem determined to use it.

Is it okay to spray down a vehicle w/ degreasers like Simple Green or dishwashing soap and then rinse them off?

Will it strip the finish off like lacquer thinner? No. If that's your metric, then, yeah, it's ok.

Is it good for your vehicle's finish? No, it's not and will negatively affect it long-term. Car washes are generally pH neutral for a reason. Simple Green is an alkaline cleaning solution. Other degreasers may be more on the acidic side.

Also, if you're using a degreaser as a regular cleaner, don't even bother waxing. Waxes are insoluble in water, but become soluble in the presence of most solvents. Wax, like other oils and lipids, are exactly what degreasers are designed to remove.

Last edited:

You want the proper pH. Buy some car wash soap. Even from the dollar store will be better than Dawn.

Last edited:
Nope don't do it. To properly clean paint, you need to rub a wash mit or a high quality brush across it to delodge stuck on dirt.

Even a automatic car wash with special laser jets (brushless) can't get the paint fully clean. There will be a chalky residue.

So applying spray wax ON TOP of this is a disaster.

If you are too lazy, but want a proper outcome, pay a pro to do it for you. A wash and spray wax should cost $150 for a skilled person to do it.

Thanks guys. I will definitely give the car soap a try. This is the first nice truck I've bought in a while that isn't a work truck and I would like to take care of it.

When you consider that you can buy a decent-sized jug of this stuff for less than $8 at the local WalMart, why would you even think about spraying the entire car down with Simple Green or something similar, which will probably cost just as much per application???

[Linked Image]

... add to that the Gold Class stuff is FAR, FAR better for your car's finish than the degreaser, and will help maintain shine and protection, it's no contest.

I'd just go to a no touch car wash. Or for a little more effort one of the do it yourself places that uses the pressure wands. Like a pressure washer with soap. Not as good as doing it with a milder wash at home, but better than the degreasers, and the soap plus pressure will mostly get the oil off. You could use the soap broom if you spray it thoroughly first, but don't scrub too hard with it. The spray wax isn't as good as real wax, but then again it's still better than nothing.

Last edited:
If it's got sure 'nuff oil on it, then yeah... use the simple green... and dish liquid... you want it clean before you use the spray wax. If you don't have a pressure washer at home, go to a self serve car wash, spray it down with simple green, let it sit for a few minutes (don't let it dry) and pressure wash it off... then hand wash as normal with car wash soap (or dish liquid) and rinse... after it's clean, then use the spray wax... I like Eagle one Wax as you Dry but Turtle wax and even the Armor All spray wax shines great too.

You say you have a really nice truck to you. So probably the best truck you have ever owned. So, treat it right. Get this even from Walmart. This is what I used to use back in the day before I got sucked into this detailing world and now I go and buy premium wash and wax products for $10 and up like Meguiars premium yellow colored wash and wax.

Buy this. It works great!

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back