ECODIESEL.jpg

Last edited:
Going to a 40 wt really reduces the wear in these engines over the 30 wt. I

Originally Posted by CT8

Yes, that seems to be the case.

Originally Posted by CT8

How the [censored] do you even crank a diesel with 40 wt if it's below 40F?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by CT8

How the [censored] do you even crank a diesel with 40 wt if it's below 40F?

5w40 will crank in a diesel just fine well below 40F.

Of course it will but he said 40 weight. That won't let the engine crank fast enough when cold.

I don't understand. As opposed to a 40 grade?

Last edited:
Just changed the oil a couple months back, for a buddy of mine with a '14 Ecodiesel with the same Amsoil SS 5w40 - cranks just fine in temps well below freezing.

Now it's almost time for him to get larger, honed injectors & a rowdier turbo, I suppose I'll do all that for his half ton FIAT over a couple beers later this Spring.

Of course it will but he said 40 weight. That won't let the engine crank fast enough when cold.

Review the context of this discussion. A 5W--40 is a 40 wt. as a 5W-30 is a 30 wt. There is no where I said a mono grade 40 nor did the OP run a mono grade 40. A 5W-30 oil was the recommended viscosity when the Ram Eco Diesel first appeared later the recommendation changed to a 5W-40.

If i remember correctly when the ecodiesel first came out 5W-30 but was changed to 5W-40 after reports of bearing failure started getting reported.

i replaced the AMSOIL SS with SCHAEFFERS 9000 oil, i am wondering how AMSOIL differ from SCHAEFFER's in the wear department

Originally Posted by CT8

Review the context of this discussion. A 5W--40 is a 40 wt. as a 5W-30 is a 30 wt. There is no where I said a mono grade 40 nor did the OP run a mono grade 40. A 5W-30 oil was the recommended viscosity when the Ram Eco Diesel first appeared later the recommendation changed to a 5W-40.

Guess I didn't use my crystal ball when posting. I just assumed when you said 40 wt you meant 40 weight. And actually, a 5W--40 is a 40 wt. only when warm. When cold it acts like 5 wt. for easier cold starts.

Guess I didn't use my crystal ball when posting. I just assumed when you said 40 wt you meant 40 weight. And actually, a 5W--40 is a 40 wt. only when warm. When cold it acts like 5 wt. for easier cold starts.

No it doesn't, that would mean it thickens as it heats up. All oil thins as it increases in temperature.

Hey minis,

Perfect report! That Amsoil stayed nice and thick. I have Redline 15w40 waiting to go in mine next oil change. It won't be until next fall that I get an UOA from it though.

What are the driving conditions for your EcoDiesel? Short trips, highway commutes, hauling, etc....

yes i added few oz of shaeffer's oil moly ep, amsoil and shaeffer's are my top two oil
that is why i refilled it will shaeffer's 9000 series so i could compare some numbers

a mix of both city and highway driving, before i drove the truck i waited until temp showed 100F and babied it until fully warmed up,
i did refill with schaeffers oil 9000 5w-40 instead of amsoil, just wanted to see how the numbers would compare between the two oil
no towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back