Thumbs up/down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admin, any chance thumbs up and thumbs down buttons could be added so that we could just click a thumbs up button if we agree with a post or click thumbs down if we don't rather than having to add an additional reply. There are very good posters and some posters who give very bad info. If an OP could read reply posts and look at the number of thumbs up or down, they can get a idea of whether or not the post makes sense to others without having to sort through dozens or sometimes hundreds of replies. Yahoo does this in their comments section and it's great for getting a sense of what others are thinking about a post.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by another Todd
Admin, any chance thumbs up and thumbs down buttons could be added so that we could just click a thumbs up button if we agree with a post or click thumbs down if we don't

I suggest this is a poor idea.

Reason: I'd say this is a technical forum and not a social one. The simple format and specific guidelines here are strong points. A "thumbs up" or "like" button is, I feel, inappropriate.

I can easily envision a bad post getting plenty of "likes" and showing just who "liked" the post. The same bad eggs will "like" all of the inaccurate, unhelpful and misleading posts. This leads to visible consensus that may carry meaning to an uninformed viewer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
please no...

I thumb up this thumb down with a "+1".
As much of a social "life" it may be for some on here, I stand by Cujet's comment. This is a tech site and IMO should be kept trimmed to such mentality. God knows there is enough bickering that gets sparked without the social media mentality introduced.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Admin, any chance thumbs up and thumbs down buttons could be added so that we could just click a thumbs up button if we agree with a post or click thumbs down if we don't

Reason: I'd say this is a technical forum and not a social one. The simple format and specific guidelines here are strong points. A "thumbs up" or "like" button is, I feel, inappropriate.

I can easily envision a bad post getting plenty of "likes" and showing just who "liked" the post. The same bad eggs will "like" all of the inaccurate, unhelpful and misleading posts. This leads to visible consensus that may carry meaning to an uninformed viewer.

Sounds like what we need is a "Misconception Vote" button ... so people can show who's posting up misconceptions/bad technical info.
lol.gif

This place is already moderated more than a prison yard at exercise time. About the only thing missing are the shotguns. The whole, "thumbs up / down" routine would elevate that to an even higher degree. Because it will only serve to intensify everything without adding benefit. Besides, everyone here comes for a different reason. And places whatever value they wish on these threads and posts. Advertising who votes for what isn't going to prove or improve anything.

As I said before, look at all of these, "Which Oil Should I Use?", threads. There is a new one every week or so. In 6 pages the guy will be told to use every viscosity, brand, and type known to man. The poor guy who started it leaves 5 times more confused than when he came. Now add a bunch of, "thumbs up / down" to the whole mix. You'll wind up confusing the poor guy even more.

People vote with their opinion, along with who and what they like. Just like they do politically. "Fact" rarely enters into it. And one man's "fact" is observed as another man's opinion. Because he believes something else to be "fact". And it matters little who is "right"... Assuming that it's anyone. Especially in a thread like I just mentioned.

Some people treat this forum like a form of entertainment. They stop by when they happen to have a few minutes, to check up on all the fresh B.S. Others like to share what they know..... Or think they know. It's up to the individual to weed through it all, and form an opinion based on what he values, likes, or sides with. And reject anything he doesn't. Not by trying to form some abstract opinion based on some thumb driven "rating system".

This all kind of reminds me of grammar school. When some kid would get up in front of the class and read his report. Then the teacher would start in with the whole, "Let's see a show of hands, class", routine. It didn't improve anything except frustration. By being graded by a bunch of fellow classmates who don't know any more than he does.... But think they do because they've all been asked to "vote".

These boards rarely change anyone's stance. Everyone just digs in their heels for most part. Thumbs up or down won't change that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

Excellent points. I withdraw my suggestion!

Originally Posted by billt460
As I said before, look at all of these, "Which Oil Should I Use?", threads. There is a new one every week or so. In 6 pages the guy will be told to use every viscosity, brand, and type known to man. The poor guy who started it leaves 5 times more confused than when he came. Now add a bunch of, "thumbs up / down" to the whole mix. You'll wind up confusing the poor guy even more.

A new one every week or so ? More like multiple every week. And I love your consensus that the poor person is no doubt more confused afterwards !! So true !!

There are very good posters and some posters who give very bad info.

Who determines what posters are good ones vs bad ones ?

I like the upvote down vote option on Quora, I say go for it, the site may get more clicks which is what the owner wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back