2013 F150 Ecoboost Oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am a newer member here and have been learning a lot. I originally started my account to get more info on the Rotella Gas Truck 5w30. That does sound like a good option but I also want to explore other options as well.
During the winter I remote start my truck for anywhere between 5-10 minutes in the morning on cold mornings. Which here in CO has been frequent lol. So I do want to explore thicker oils to help with possible fuel dilution.

Another thing is the turbos are liquid cooled by the coolant and oil so. These turbos are small and push a good amount of boost. I am tuned and hitting around 20psi so the heat is pretty high. I want to explore 0w-40 oils for use all year round.
I want the heat protection and a thicker oil and I want to pick a brand and stick with it. I do not want to flip flop around on oils all the time. My main concern for an oil with or without a rating is the SN+ and/or Dexos G2 spec for the DI aspect of my engine. I do want an oil to help with any issues with LSPI.

I have been looking at the following oils:
Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30
Ultra Platinum 0w-40
Mobil1 0w-40
Amsoil SS 0w-40

Any pros and cons to each of the oils?

Thank you!

Originally Posted by CT8
Is there a LSPI issue with those engines?

Im not 100% sure. A few have a hole in their block and no real reason. So there is always a possibility. Given it is a turbo DI motor. It doesn't hurt to be cautious.

Originally Posted by CT8

Dunno if there is, but there had to be some reasoning behind Fords changing the EB spec to SN+ /B1?

Pennz Ultra (PUP) 0w40 and Amsoil SS is a little expensive, slightly harder to get.
M1 0w40 229.5 and RGT "dexos1 Gen2" (yes, a lower-case d, with Gen2 after is the correct way to spell it) are both available at walmart for cheap, and great oils, on the thick side for an ILSAC 5w-30, so good stuff.
If you really want to guard aganst LSPI, the only choices are M1 ESP 5w30 or ESP 0w40, the new Corvette oil, or the RGT. .... M1 0w40 229.5 & Ultra 0w40 SRT Mopar oil have high Ca, bad for LSPI prevention we hear.

If towing big loads in the summer, the choice is the high-HTHS M1 ESP 0w40, and if not severe duty, the RGT will work great for cheap too.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Pennz Ultra (PUP) 0w40 and Amsoil SS is a little expensive, slightly harder to get.
M1 0w40 229.5 and RGT "dexos1 Gen2" (yes, a lower-case d, with Gen2 after is the correct way to spell it) are both available at walmart for cheap, and great oils, on the thick side for an ILSAC 5w-30, so good stuff.
If you really want to guard aganst LSPI, the only choices are M1 ESP 5w30 or ESP 0w40, the new Corvette oil, or the RGT. .... M1 0w40 229.5 & Ultra 0w40 SRT Mopar oil have high Ca, bad for LSPI prevention we hear.

If towing big loads in the summer, the choice is the high-HTHS M1 ESP 0w40, and if not severe duty, the RGT will work great for cheap too.

I have not heard of Ca being bad for LSPI prevention. As more DI motors come out I feel like they will get it right for LSPI stuff. I do have a few guys around here that stock Amsoil and im a preferred customer. I love the gear oil and trans stuff. I had some weird issues with the 5w30 SS. I was getting a noise on startup. It didn't necessarily sound like the timing chain. Could possibly have been the starter? I switched oils and that sound went away. I heard the 5w30SS is a little thin as well?

I see the 0w40 amsoil SS is a good contender for LSPI issues as well. Besides availability, do you see the PUP 0w40 as a viable option? Or would you still recommend the RGT?

I do not tow but I am in the mountains so it will not be too crazy to climb 5k ft in 30 minutes of driving. but I do drive it pretty hard.

Originally Posted by noclutch
Originally Posted by CT8

Dunno if there is, but there had to be some reasoning behind Fords changing the EB spec to SN+ /B1?

I feel like there is a reason as well.

Soon all oils will be rated SN+,and possibly Dexos 1 Gen 2 with in the viscosity scope. With turbo engines failures can be quite dramatic.

Originally Posted by Env1ous
I have not heard of Ca being bad for LSPI prevention. I see the 0w40 amsoil SS is a good contender for LSPI issues as well. Besides availability, do you see the PUP 0w40 as a viable option? Or would you still recommend the RGT? I do not tow but I am in the mountains so it will not be too crazy to climb 5k ft in 30 minutes of driving. but I do drive it pretty hard.

Ca is the leading indicator of LSPI vulnerability in turbo-DI engines.
https://www.infineuminsight.com/articles/passenger-cars/lspi-and-lubricant-auto-ignition/ for a deeper discussion, but Ca above about ~1500 ppm is mainly the thing to avoid.

I just looked at Amszoil SS 0w40 (AZF) spec sheet ( https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf ) and Amsoil is saying it is SN+, so OK for Ecoboost here. That would be a great oil if you're not price conscious. I think Medved Ford in Castle Rock carried Amsoil, or mail order of course. That is an oil brand with a great reputation, they can be trusted, although they tend not to carry official certifications. The chances of a warranty issue are probably around 0.001, so use whatever quality oil you want, IMHO.

Wow, RGT would be cheap, and Shell is another company with a great reputation. Its on the thick side for a 5w30 at 11.7 cSt. I would use it if you're concerned about price at all. Otherwise, just use Amsoil SS 0w40 AZF. (PUP 0w40 and M1 229.5 0w40 are too high Ca for this engine.)

I have not heard of Ca being bad for LSPI prevention. I see the 0w40 amsoil SS is a good contender for LSPI issues as well. Besides availability, do you see the PUP 0w40 as a viable option? Or would you still recommend the RGT? I do not tow but I am in the mountains so it will not be too crazy to climb 5k ft in 30 minutes of driving. but I do drive it pretty hard.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/articles/passenger-cars/lspi-and-lubricant-auto-ignition/ for a deeper discussion, but Ca above about ~1500 ppm is mainly the thing to avoid.

I just looked at Amszoil SS 0w40 (AZF) spec sheet ( https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf ) and Amsoil is saying it is SN+, so OK for Ecoboost here. That would be a great oil if you're not price conscious. I think Medved Ford in Castle Rock carried Amsoil, or mail order of course. That is an oil brand with a great reputation, they can be trusted, although they tend not to carry official certifications. The chances of a warranty issue are probably around 0.001, so use whatever quality oil you want, IMHO.

Wow, RGT would be cheap, and Shell is another company with a great reputation. Its on the thick side for a 5w30 at 11.7 cSt. I would use it if you're concerned about price at all. Otherwise, just use Amsoil SS 0w40 AZF. (PUP 0w40 and M1 229.5 0w40 are too high Ca for this engine.)

That is a great read! A lot of good info in that about LSPI. Thank you for the link. I did remember a post over on the ecoboost forum about Amsoils new SS formulation going against LSPI. There are a few shops that stock it around here. Im in Northern Lakewood so those shops are a little closer. That is good to know Castlerock has some in stock in case I am ever in a pinch.

I do like the fact that I can get RGT locally and no issue but I think I will try the Amsoil 0w40 and see how that works out for me. Thank you for your insight and your help. I do appreciate it! Being the new guy asking questions that have been asked many times sometimes elicits less than positive responses lol

Originally Posted by CT8
200.000 mile eco boost engine review

Blocked at work. lol.

I know some guy on the forum has 300k on his. No crazy maintenance or anything. Not much broke on it. He passed it down to his son and it is still running strong.
Just did regular maintenance. I think the one thing these engines do like is to get on it and not baby it all the time.

Originally Posted by CT8
The eco boost engines are powerful and nice to drive.

I really enjoy mine. It does everything I need it to for a truck. I moved and drove a loaded trailer with about 5k lbs of stuff in it about 200 miles one way and didn't even notice I was hauling anything.

I have a 13 also. I run 15w - 40 diesel oil in mine. It runs quiet and flawless. I don't believe in the thin oil marketing. I run it in all my gas engines. My wife's 08 edge has 226,000 miles on it with diesel oil and it still does not use any oil on 6,000 oil changes.

What oils are SN+ at the moment? Quickly searching it looks like M1 5w30 has Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 listed as a "Meets or exceeds" but PP 5w30 only has the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec listed.

Just because I really appreciate your thoughts, what do you think of the 5w40 Mobil Turbo diesel oil? It has a SN spec. Only downside is the high ZDDP, but may be going cat less in the future

Just because I value your thoughts, what do you think of the Mobil 1 Turbo diesel oil 5w40? I know it has high ZDDP but I do not think it will harm cats as bad as people say? I have a catch can so know oil is being recirculated back into my combustion chamber. I have the PCV deleted to help with possible intake valve coking. It is SN specd as well. I saw a few mention it was marketed for gas engines as well.

Doing more research, I am seeing that the SN plus spec has less calcium?

Calcium isn't specified in SN+, but it includes a test for LSPI mitigation (in a 2.0l Ford Ecoboost engine) so any SN+ oils are likely to have fairly low calcium levels. I think the worst combination for LSPI was high calcium and high sodium levels like RP and Synpower used to use. High ZDDP actually helps prevents LSPI.
I used to look for dexos1 Gen 2 oils only, but now that SN+ is out I feel like I have a lot more freedom as d1G2 only covered a limited range of grades. M1 10W30 HM is actually SN+ and is thick for its grade (12.1cSt at 100C and HTHS=3.5), so I might try it out this summer. Don't care about the 10W for summer use, will only use 5WXX or 0WXX for winter around here (especially because I ski and park in the mountains overnight).

Originally Posted by buck91
What oils are SN+ at the moment? Quickly searching it looks like M1 5w30 has Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 listed as a "Meets or exceeds" but PP 5w30 only has the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec listed.

PP 5W30 is d1G2 and SN+, they may not have tested to B1 yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back