Honey, they shrunk my... filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by blupupher

I may try the 10060 size filter on my F150, the XG2 size is a bit big getting it into place. .

No....... You would use the XG10575

What did the OEM do in regard to filters?
Was this only the change in the Fram recommended filter?

Generally, with today's clean running engines and good intake filtering, there's not a lot for a filter to have to hold. Capacity isn't a giant issue overall. The smaller filter will likely do fine.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Just picked up a couple FRAM Ultra's for the RAM and discovered that they are seriously downsized from the previous filter the 5.7L called for as well as the current 6 4L filter
crazy2.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of these with M1 EP 0w-20 are going in the truck tomorrow, it's got ~1,000Km on it now, so time to flush out the break-in junk.

The change was based on FCA making the change. The reality is modern engines really do not put alot of dirt in the oil. Most often the reason for the downsize is cost and accessability. Yes, the smaller filter may cost a few pennies less but thise pennies add up when you build a million engines with that filter

Originally Posted by madeej11
Just curious but how long of an OCI are you going to do with the Ultra and the EP 0w20 on your new truck?

Whatever the OLM interval ends up being.

Originally Posted by mechjames
The 10060 I used all the way back in 2014 on my hemi 1500. It goes in the trucks with the electric power assist steering.

Makes sense. I assume this is due to a space issue?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by chantheman
What else does the XG10060 fit?

According to FRAM, a Dodge RAM 1500 2019 V8 5.7L

Apparently, a lot of newer Chevys, also

A big user are the 2007-2013 Chev LS V-8's in Silverados and Suburbans. They have a recessed space along the cast oil pan. Not sure of if a G-2 will fit. If you want a longer filter use the 10575. Just by fluke, the filter is really for 2014 and up trucks, but Fram did not bother to change the bypass pressure like they should have. They still match the 10060. I have one in my 6 liter right now.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I remember my friend's K1500 ( '89 Chevy Silverado 5.7) had a downsized oil filter due to 4WD configuration.
The 2WD variant had a huge oil filter.

THEN, if a car company sees no engines destroyed by a small filter they might just convert them all to small.

I have compared changes in my 2010 5.3L and 2018 5.3L … oil pumps, oil cooler, oil capacity up, piston oil jets, and yes ... the oil filter is larger … (and higher PRV pressure) …

ZeeOSix said:
The base gaskets are close enough - should work fine. The gasket on the XG2 is just a bit wider (same ID, slightly larger OD), which gives more sealing area on the filter mount. Just make sure the mount is a bit larger in dia then the gasket OD.[/quote

Reckon you could pull the old gasket and hold it up to the flange to eyeball the relative position …
I used the slightly longer XG10575 on GM's and Ford's many times …
Only stopped over my new engines and the PRV setting

Originally Posted by chantheman
Possibly we are seeing Fram consolidating product line to reduce the number of variants in the marketplace. What else does the XG10060 fit?

That's the filter that was originally specified for my 2018 Corvette. It has the incorrect bypass valve setting though, so Fram came out with the XG12060, which is the exact same size but has a 22psi bypass. I still haven't spotted one in the wild yet though. Until then I'm going to keep running the NAPA Gold 100290 which has the proper 22psi bypass.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Originally Posted by das_peikko
The gasket size is not the same; that's all you need to know.

The largest difference is the OD at about 5 thousandths larger. There is enough metal cut on the base plate to accommodate that. Trust me, there is.

More like 50 thou, which is 1.25 mm.

Yes I had a long day yesterday. Im still confident there is enough, if you wanted to run the PH2 size.

Just picked up a couple FRAM Ultra's for the RAM and discovered that they are seriously downsized from the previous filter the 5.7L called for as well as the current 6 4L filter
crazy2.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of these with M1 EP 0w-20 are going in the truck tomorrow, it's got ~1,000Km on it now, so time to flush out the break-in junk.

They did this my MY11 when they switched over to EPS on the 1500 - the rack is physically larger.

Originally Posted by WillB

They did this my MY11 when they switched over to EPS on the 1500 - the rack is physically larger.

Yeah, saw that today when I was under there with the mechanic at the dealer, that EPS unit is large, and right in the way.

Originally Posted by WillB

Yeah, saw that today when I was under there with the mechanic at the dealer, that EPS unit is large, and right in the way.

Its a pain getting the filter off and not making a mess as well.

I like the OLD DESIGN better. It has that outside lip that makes it easy to keep your hands clean when you are just about to screw off that filter, you can tip the filter, and that edge will keep the oil from running down your hands.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I have compared changes in my 2010 5.3L and 2018 5.3L … oil pumps, oil cooler, oil capacity up, piston oil jets, and yes ... the oil filter is larger … (and higher PRV pressure) …

Yes, and it was coordinated with a revised AFM system changed for 2014. The system is much more reliable than pre-2014 one.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by 4WD

Yes, and it was coordinated with a revised AFM system changed for 2014. The system is much more reliable than pre-2014 one.
smile.gif

This is great to hear - be trading my Ram for a Canyon two years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back