How do I measure the laundry powder?

Got a FL Samsung. requires HE detergent.

I use Tide powder HE with the fresh crystals.

I always use the "lowest bar" on the scoop, extra rinse setting works great on most loads except the socks.

The socks I got to use the rinse setting 3 times, and still not all the soap is out. I even use half of the lowest recommended powder. I use medium spin(socks are wool)

What is the solution?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 901Memphis
Might need to run a cycle with no detergent added to get excess out.

This!

Then you might consider switching to a detergent pod suitable for HE front loaders.

It oftentimes help prevent using too much detergent.

In my experience powered laundry detergents made by Procter & Gamble suck at dissolving.
That could be your problem, even if you cant see it.
I've used the following P&G powder detergents: Tide with bleach, Gain and Cheer.

The solution is to buy Surf Sparkling Ocean powered laundry detergent available at Walmart.
It works/smells better than Tide unless your a slob who stains your clothes.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Surf-Sparkling-Ocean-Powder-Laundry-Detergent-52-oz/17248279

Originally Posted by skyactiv
In my experience powered laundry detergents made by Procter & Gamble suck at dissolving.
That could be your problem, even if you cant see it.
I've used the following P&G powder detergents: Tide with bleach, Gain and Cheer.

The solution is to buy Surf Sparkling Ocean powered laundry detergent available at Walmart.
It works/smells better than Tide unless your a slob who stains your clothes.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Surf-Sparkling-Ocean-Powder-Laundry-Detergent-52-oz/17248279

Hey I'll give that a shot, lol at those comments:
I HAVE LEARNED NEVER TO WAIT UNTIL THERE IS A SMALL AMOUNT IN THE BOX. IT IS LIKE NOT WAITING FOR A PRESCRIPTION TO RUN OUT BEFORE YOU REFILL IT.
\\
Haha! People are passionate about this stuff.

Use less powder.

Exactly, but it is BS that the lowest measure line is way too much for a load of socks.(10 pairs) I always thought the HE detergents have "filler" added so when you use the amount needed for a load, you're getting essentially what you need. Small loads upto the lowest line...etc.
The lowest measure line should be for small loads, I guess they didn't "HE" the scoop!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dkryan
Originally Posted by 901Memphis
Might need to run a cycle with no detergent added to get excess out.

This!

Then you might consider switching to a detergent pod suitable for HE front loaders.

It oftentimes help prevent using too much detergent.

Sometimes the pods don't dissolve properly. We've moved to liquid detergent. I don't use much unless something is really dirty.

Also, some machines might rinse with cold water. Water is really cold this time of year. Might need to bump up to a warm water rinse.

Yes, if you have hard water it will make dissolving powders difficult. I have only used liquids (either bulk liquid or pods) and have never had an issue. Change your detergent and see if that helps.

10 wool pairs of socks is quite light. The machine will measure the water needed based on the weight of the laundry. So it will end up using very little water which translates to a high laundry detergent ratio.

Throw in an old towel or two along with your socks. Modern washers are not designed to run at 10% capacity. Use extra rinse, highest spin speed and liquid detergent.

Powder is not the best for H.E. washers because it can clump and clog areas of the washing machine. I saw this first hand when I would repair washing machines hooked up to soap dispensers for the chemical company I worked for.
I also don't like pods for that reason. I've found goo in the back end of the washing machines for friends/family and in dishwashers that use the same packaging.

Use a liquid, and despite what the brands tell you there is little difference between them so find the cheapest that works for you. (Less is more)
Sunlight and Gain seem to work the best with the least amount in my hard water area.

Last edited:
I honestly didn't even think they sold laundry "powder" any more. I've been using liquid detergent for the past 20 some odd years now. I always use a little bit less than they say to use as well, I think too much detergent is bad for the washing machine (and your clothes don't need that much soap anyways)

Originally Posted by Patman
I honestly didn't even think they sold laundry "powder" any more. I've been using liquid detergent for the past 20 some odd years now. I always use a little bit less than they say to use as well, I think too much detergent is bad for the washing machine (and your clothes don't need that much soap anyways)

They do. My MIL has a washer/dryer older than me and she buys the powder still. I think they are Maytag. They are 70's for sure.

Originally Posted by Patman
I honestly didn't even think they sold laundry "powder" any more.

I'm a Luddite. And, my washer and dryer are probably older than StevieC as well, just like his MIL's, and they're Maytag. Actually, mine aren't quite that old, but from about 1992, let's say.

Last time I had to use powder to clean a rug, I addrd the powder to the drum and used warm water. Some powders aren't made equal - and some machines(especially the Korean ones) might have a hard time dissolving it. But then again, I also see powder clumps at the laundromat and those are heavy-duty Dexter or Speed Queen machines. Miele is still selling powder through their dealers.

Modern-day front loaders do work better on liquid, and pods/pacs are the way to go - just enough to get the job done without excessive foaming.

The only powder Ive use that works well with front loaders is the german Persil that Henkels makes- not he wal mart stuff.

That stuff is awesome.

UD

Back